MyWi 4.0 now available in the Rock Store!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jpbeck76, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jpbeck76 macrumors member

jpbeck76

Upgrade for 3.X users is 9.99
    Full price: $19.99.

2. vlug macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it will be available in Cydia? I dont intend on installing Rock on my new iPhone 4 if and when its jailbroken.

Rock Sucks!!!

3. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Awesome, I've been waiting for this. Installed and working great so far... I can now tether to my iPad again... :D

4. BuStOsAvIcH macrumors member

BuStOsAvIcH

From the developer:

Yes - currently - MyWi 4.0 will install Rock for licensing reasons. We'll be putting an update without a Rock dependency in the future. MyWi 4.0 will be out shortly in both Cydia and Rock.

5. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Funny thing iis I couldn't get MyWifi to work properly without Rock installed for some reason. :confused:

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Sweet. Can't wait till I can jailbreak my iPhone 4.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What is it with these people staying with Rock.
    Dont they know that everyone uses Cydia and most of their business will come from there?

8. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Why all the hate for Rock? Pretty much every one of their apps is top-notch. Their app is better than Cydia in my opinion anyway.

9. og1 macrumors regular

$10 to UPDATE even if you owned it before. Thats BS.

10. thundermustard macrumors regular

Downloaded, installed on my 3GS with iOS4 installed and it works great.
    $10 is fair for an upgrade that obviously required extra work.
    I don't understand the Rock hate. Install it for MyWi and you never have to open it again.
    I happen to prefer it. (flame war words?)

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Agreed. Raise the price for new users if you need to compensate for the extra work you put in for the new version. Not current users.

12. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I think the update was more of a price adjustment than an upgrade fee. They realized that MiWi is a killer app that everyone wants and is worth a lot more than 10 bucks. They simply decided the new price should be $20 for 4.0 and up. They aren't forcing 3.x users to upgrade (you can stay with iOS 3 if you want) and they aren't forcing 3.x users to pay the whole price, they only ask that you pay the difference since the 4.0+ version carries a higher price tag.

Personally, I see no problem with it. I look at all the thousands and thousands of apps in the "official" app store that are way over priced and think about how invaluable MiWi really is. I mean think about it, AT&T tethering is $20 per month and that only lets you tether one computer at a time, with data caps!

13. thundermustard macrumors regular

I agree, $10 for the app was without a doubt a bargain. Now that it is at $20 he can charge $10 for the upgrade to the new OS.
    So once every 18 months or so, Apple will make a big OS change that requires the developer to do some work. And we chip in $10 each.
    If we don't pay him he won't be there for iOS5. You would be bumming if you couldn't upgrade to a new OS and keep tethering.
    $10 is what a day of Internet cost in many nicer hotels.
    In the meantime I am sure that it will work fine with 4.01, 4.1, etc and he won't charge extra for those updates.

14. mbob macrumors member

Why is MyWi better then PDANet?

And are these untraceable by AT&T? I would be concerned if they are tapping into the iphone's build in tether that ATT may do something now they have tether plans.

I have netshare on a non - jailbreak but it crashes a lot. I am considering a jailbreak when iphone4 gets it but seems risky.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not really hate, its just a very buggy JB app that will dissapear soon just like installer,icy and others before.
    Cydia is top notch and cant beat the SHSH's saving that saurik does for us.
    Also cydia wont fill up your iphone "other" with junk and fill up the space on your phone.
    IMO there's no comparison. Rock has a nice GUI but thats about it.

16. BuStOsAvIcH macrumors member

BuStOsAvIcH

Could someone explain to me what the USB Bridge means and which I should use in what situation?

Thanks.

17. thundermustard macrumors regular

Still can't get WiFi to work on a MacBook, works on an XP netbook.

18. mbob macrumors member

Man, I just wanted to keep my unlim plan and tether. I'd have paid AT&T extra for the tether....but 2GB is a joke. Maybe 5 would have tempted me.

I wish someone would release the source code to a Mywi type app and let me pay the apple dev fee to use it on my own device :)

19. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Both of you have very good points! That definitely makes sense.

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Wifi works great on my MacBook. What exactly is the problem you're running into?

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The app is worth the money in the long run, but for those of us who bought it within the last 30 days, unfair !

22. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

upgrade fee just to make it compatible with the new iOS? That is BS...how anyone can justify it is beyond me!

I can see the general forum now if every app developer charged for iOS4 compatibility for their apps....people would lose the plot!!

I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3G S phone...tested it and then upgrade when the i4 came out....now I have to pay again just for a compatibility upgrade! I happily support purchasing JB apps but this is taking the pish :eek:

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I was thinking the same thing (just bought mine on June 4th) but I don't think there's much we can do about it. Since the new price is $20, I doubt they'll let those of us who paid $10 upgrade for free. Would be nice though.

24. brcobb macrumors newbie

In addition to iOS 4 compatibility, this version brings other enhancements including some features that help with battery life.

For me, the 9.99 upgrade price is fair.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

How so? You paid $9.99 for version 3.X, and you'll pay $9.99 to upgrade to 4.0. If you had waited to buy, you'd pay $19.99 for version 4.0. How is that unfair, exactly? :confused: