MyWi "On Demand" upgrade. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Feb 2, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I like the idea of quickly and almost instantly connecting my iPad to my iPhone4 MyWi via the on demand upgrade. Sadly, both devices are still in the 'waiting for on demand clients'- I guess simply trying to find my iPad.

Both devices, as required have the blue tooth on. I'm sure I'm missing a step.

Anyone using this updated MyWi yet and if so, are you finding it to be worth the extra $5.?

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I saw where the app says that MyWi OnDemand has to be on both iDevices for it to work. But, unless the OnDemand upgrade allows for the iPad & iPhone to tether through Bluetooth, I will not upgrade. I know that wasn't the initial reason for BT tethering support for MyWi, but they had to know people would like that option if it uses less battery power.

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

You're right. I didn't read that and downloaded too quickly. My iPad must also be jailbroken with MyWi installed. It isn't, so can't.

I was too eager to download what I thought would be a cool upgrade and didn't read the requirements.

Lesson learned!

4. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

I did install MyWi OnDemand on both iPhone and iPad but still couldn't get it to work. Too bad, seems like a convenient feature.

5. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Try pairing them with each other first in bluetooth settings. I've never used it, I'm just speculating.

Try turning on BT on both, go to BT settings in iPhone and see if you can pair with the iPad. Try it with OnDemand enabled and disabled.

Edit: Just saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0kzsE6O2I

6. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I almost bought this. Glad I noticed the iPad in the video had cydia. I don't know why I haven't jb my iPad yet. Guess I'm just enjoying it being effortless for a while before I start diggin into it

This will be one of my first tweaks when I do finally jb both. Looks cool and costs about as much as a cup of coffee.

7. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Did you have to pay for the iPad version again?

8. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

Yes, although I'm utilizing the free trial period @ the moment. The iPhone version has a 3 day trial, iPad gives you 5 days.

9. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

Guess I'll try again but my iPhone and iPad wouldn't "handshake" as demonstrated in the YouTube video.

10. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I put it on both my iphone and ipad. I got them to the point where they were "handshaking", but i couldnt access the internet on my ipad. I dont know if i am missing a step or something. But the new interface is nice for it and it still works if you use the iphone as a plain hotspot. It would be nice if i could get it to work...

11. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Bluetooth is the way to go but I have been using iTether on my iPad for almost 8 month now and it works very well..... (I think it was $5)

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 4, I would like to tethre to my iPad and iPod touch using this feature

if I buy MyWi on my iPhone 4, do I have to buy them on multiple devices as well for the same price?

13. Th3d0ctor macrumors member

Th3d0ctor

I gave my 3GS to my girlfriend who doesn't have a data plan when I got my iP4 so I wanted to set this up so she get just tether from me whenever shes around me. I've got ondemand on both the 3GS and my iP4 and get to the point where it says connected on my iP4 but is still handshaking on the 3GS. It won't connect fully :(. WTF?

14. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

No. Putting MyWi 4.0 on your iPhone will broadcast to your wi-fi devices. I use it for my iPad.

15. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Someone answer please. Do you have to pay for the iPad version as well? I already have MyWi, does that mean I have to spend $5 for OnDemand on my iPhone and another $25 for my iPad to have MyWi + OnDemand?

16. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

It's a grey area, but it really just depends on the developer. Some (if not most) developers allow you to download the same app onto 1 of each style of iDevice. I installed my purchased MyWi 4.0 to my iPad. It's only been a couple of days, but I haven't seen any info saying that I had to purchase a license for it. And what's the worst that can happen? The iPad version stops working. It wouldn't be a big loss for me, but it's nice to have. I'd say to download it for your iPad (if you already have a license for the iPhone) & give it a try.

If the OnDemand function just turns on & off automatically, I plan to keep the $5. I'm used to turning it off & on manually.

17. zvandiver macrumors member

I just jailbroke my iPad, and MyWi was on my Cydia list of purchased apps. I thought I read somewhere that the license was good for all of your devices.

18. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I thought I read that somewhere & that's why I said to do it. But, the idea is that the license only allows 1 iPad + 1 iPod Touch + 1 iPhone to use that license. You can't have 2 of any of those devices using 1 license.

19. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Just this morning I had a Cydia update waiting for me and sure enough it was MyWi. Although it didn't state what it was for I can't help but think it must be an improvement in the OnDemand feature.

I'm looking forward to jailbraking my iPad (once the new 4.3 is released) and having instant on/off with tethering.

20. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Did the update today fix your OnDemand, guys?

21. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

Yes it did!

22. TroyJam macrumors member

TroyJam

The way it worked for me:
    Purchased MyWi for my iPhone quite awhile ago ($20) paid for OnDemand on iPhone ($5) today.
    Downloaded and installed trial OnDemand for iPad a couple of days ago. After paying for OnDemand on iPhone today I launched Cydia on iPad and then in the installed tab I clicked on MyWi OnDemand which reported "Package Officially Purchased".
    Then I went back to the actual MyWi app on the iPad and hit-iDevices/MyWi OnDemand/Download purchased license.

Everything working perfect for a total of $25 (both purchases placed on iPhone)

23. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

You are a smart person. A rare find on MR.

24. bella92108 macrumors 68000

My two cents... NO, NOT WORTH IT. I am officially DONE with MyWi... They charged me $20 in May 2010, then a month later when they "forced" me to upgrade to 4.0 for another $10 to be able to use on my iPhone 4 without offering any real feature upgrades. I have spent more on MiWi than I have on MUSIC in the last 2 years, and I'm done with them.

They continue to disenfranchise users with asking for more money like the $5 add-on for OnDemand, a feature they've been promising for years.

I am SOOOO excited to see that 4.3 has native wireless hotspot functionality (not the crap$y ad-hoc that MiWi uses), and that there's already a solution from TetherMe for $2 that'll allow it to bury MiWi, something I would actually pay $20 just for a ticket to be able to watch the burial.

When you cross the line from opportunistic to greedy, you'll cross it alone.