Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
You are a smart person. A rare find on MR.

The replies he will get from the MyWi haters will prove just how rare he is. Since the jb is out for Macs and Windows, the whiners have to find something to complain about or they go into WDD (Whining Deficit Disorder) and MyWi is an old standby.

EDIT: Most of the rabid, anti-MyWi troglodytes are on my Ignore list, so I won't have to read their rambling, incoherent attempts to justify their unnatural hatred of a software product.

Last edited:

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
The replies he will get from the MyWi haters will prove just how rare he is. Since the jb is out for Macs and Windows, the whiners have to find something to complain about or they go into WDD (Whining Deficit Disorder) and MyWi is an old standby.

God forbid we express our opinions. Someone asked if "MyWi On Demand is worth it?" which is 100% subjective opinion, and then you have the audacity to attack those with opinions, and if someone doesn't agree with YOU, it means they're a whiner.... Your comments are always so hypocritical.

Maybe if you don't want to see whining you should go check out Apple's support forums where they censor what people say in response to their topics, and get deleted for disagreeing with what they want users to agree with.

yukong

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Well, I'm new to jailbreaking. For the first time, I jail broke my iphone 4 and my ipad. the main reason was to be able to use the new ondemand mywi. I must say, I am impressed. I only have a wifi ipad (it was a Christmas gift) and was was a little unhappy about not having internet connectivity when away from a wifi connection. Now with Mywi with ondemand, I now have the internet connectivity. It works great. To answer a couple of questions posted here...I only had to pay for it once. Both the iphone and ipad are now running licensed copies. And it was easy to set up, and now, when I have no wifi connection, as soon as I unlock my ipad, it automatically connects to my iphone via bluetooth and the internet works. And then, when I lock my screen it disconnects. It works as advertised and now I have unlimited data on both. The app is pricey, but really it isn't because I would be paying $25 per month for 2gb of data for my ipad if it was 3G. Or, i guess I could wait till ios 4.3 and have native wifi hotspot, and give up my unlimited data on my iphone, and then pay $45 per month for 4gb. Nah, on second thought, I will stick with Mywi.

Anyway, I was not a mywi fanboy or hater. I have never used it before. Just saw an article about it and gave it a try. It does what I expected. And more.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
My two cents... NO, NOT WORTH IT. I am officially DONE with MyWi... They charged me $20 in May 2010, then a month later when they "forced" me to upgrade to 4.0 for another $10 to be able to use on my iPhone 4 without offering any real feature upgrades. I have spent more on MiWi than I have on MUSIC in the last 2 years, and I'm done with them.

They continue to disenfranchise users with asking for more money like the $5 add-on for OnDemand, a feature they've been promising for years.

I am SOOOO excited to see that 4.3 has native wireless hotspot functionality (not the crap$y ad-hoc that MiWi uses), and that there's already a solution from TetherMe for $2 that'll allow it to bury MiWi, something I would actually pay $20 just for a ticket to be able to watch the burial.

When you cross the line from opportunistic to greedy, you'll cross it alone.

If you think 4.3's hotspot is going to be free.... your not in touch with reality. Min guess is $20 per month, this will not just get "thrown in" with your data plan. I don't disagree MyWi has milked it's users a bit much considering the fee's over the past year, but still so much cheaper than anything ATT or VZW will offer.

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Very informative, yukong. Now say you're using an app that uses constant data like Pandora. If you lock it, will Pandora stop playing or will it continue to play?

yukong

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Very informative, yukong. Now say you're using an app that uses constant data like Pandora. If you lock it, will Pandora stop playing or will it continue to play?

Well, I just tried it, and it when the screen goes dark, or you lock the screen on the ipad, the song that was playing when the screen blanks will continue playing till it is finished, but then it stops. When the screen blanks, it disconnects. I would assume, though I haven't tried, that if you connect via wifi instead of bluetooth, that you can continue to stream Pandora once the screen locks. But then, you have a battery drain issue because of the use of wifi instead of bluetooth. Maybe they will add some override feature for Pandora stuff.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
If you think 4.3's hotspot is going to be free.... your not in touch with reality. Min guess is $20 per month, this will not just get "thrown in" with your data plan. I don't disagree MyWi has milked it's users a bit much considering the fee's over the past year, but still so much cheaper than anything ATT or VZW will offer.

i think he's referring to 'tetherme' which is the $2 jb app he mentioned that currently opens up the native bluetooth/cable tethering capabilities of the iphone... which will most likely do the same for 4.3's native wireless tethering ability when it's out.

i own both tetherme and mywi. mywi has some cool options like turning down the power consumption when you create an ap. but i don't think thats enough to make people choose it over $2 tetherme.

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
My two cents... NO, NOT WORTH IT. I am officially DONE with MyWi... They charged me $20 in May 2010, then a month later when they "forced" me to upgrade to 4.0 for another $10 to be able to use on my iPhone 4 without offering any real feature upgrades. I have spent more on MiWi than I have on MUSIC in the last 2 years, and I'm done with them.

They continue to disenfranchise users with asking for more money like the $5 add-on for OnDemand, a feature they've been promising for years.

I am SOOOO excited to see that 4.3 has native wireless hotspot functionality (not the crap$y ad-hoc that MiWi uses), and that there's already a solution from TetherMe for $2 that'll allow it to bury MiWi, something I would actually pay $20 just for a ticket to be able to watch the burial.

When you cross the line from opportunistic to greedy, you'll cross it alone.

I share the same sentiment! Happily paid $20 bucks for this program initially as I use it for hours a day while commuting. I was excited to see this upgrade because manually turning the hotspot on and off started to become a nuisance. However, after seeing the additional cost required for the feature AND the fact that i needed to have their app installed on the iPad as well (which means forcing to jailbreak my ipad when it doesnt really need to be jailbroken)...I'm no longer a huge fan of MyWi.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
...the fact that i needed to have their app installed on the iPad as well (which means forcing to jailbreak my ipad when it doesnt really need to be jailbroken)...

There aren't many ways for MyWi to identify when On-Demand tethering is required. They implemented the feature using BT to control the MyWi activation. There isn't any way to do this w/o JB your iPad.

Still, I agree that once 4.3 is available, a simple comm center hack to enable the native tethering will be good enough for most people.

yukong

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Still, I agree that once 4.3 is available, a simple comm center hack to enable the native tethering will be good enough for most people.

But will it be "on demand"? And it will be wifi, so won't there be battery life issues?

To me, the automatic, on demand Bluetooth connection makes mywi the clear winner for me. I never have to get my iPhone out of my pocket. I start my iPad and it is connected. It's Bluetooth so less battery drain. And when I'm done, it disconnects. iPhone still in my pocket.

Oh. Just my opinion.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Anyone else having problems with MyWi on demand on the ipad?
Heres a few of the problems im having with on demand.

• After respring, once i setup on demand with my iPhone 4 it works fine until i stop using the ipad for about 10 minutes and the screen on the iPad goes to sleep. Then i get a constant beeping notifiying me of a connection being made on my iPhone 4 over and over again.
  • On both the iPhone 4 and iPad, the option for Status bar icon "in use indicator" does not work. No matter what the selection is it always shows the tethering bar.
  • Last but no least, after a simple reboot on my iPad. My entire homescreen gets garbled and im forced to uninstall the app from my iPad via Cydia.

Can anyone chime in, if they've experienced similar problems.

One more thing. What does every one have the native iOS tethering option set to? Enabled or Disable?

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
I'm more bitter than anything else that their upgrade to MyWi 4.50 completely broke the bluetooth tethering that was working fine with my laptop. Plus with no response to my contacts for supprot, I'm quite a bit disappointed in them and their software right now...

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
But will it be "on demand"? And it will be wifi, so won't there be battery life issues?

To me, the automatic, on demand Bluetooth connection makes mywi the clear winner for me. I never have to get my iPhone out of my pocket. I start my iPad and it is connected. It's Bluetooth so less battery drain. And when I'm done, it disconnects. iPhone still in my pocket.

Oh. Just my opinion.

MyWi On-Demand via BT is a great solution with clear benefits, but I'm suggesting that for many users it may be too little to late. Unfortunately for the developer of MyWi, this feature comes on the cusp of the release of native hotspot support.
Personally, I don't JB my iPad. Esspecially since the 4.2.1 JB is a bit buggy for me. This makes the native hotspot very attractive. I also welcome the infrastructure hotspot support that MyWi currently lacks.

Apple's power drain depends upon the implementation. The native hotspot could run a fairly low power during idle (though not as low as on-demand BT). It may be low enough to just leave it on.

We'll have to see how it all shakes out. For the time being, I'm waiting for 4.3.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
"On Demand" broke iTether on my iPad

I'm more bitter than anything else that their upgrade to MyWi 4.50 completely broke the bluetooth tethering that was working fine with my laptop. Plus with no response to my contacts for supprot, I'm quite a bit disappointed in them and their software right now...

I feel your pain...I just spent the last few hours engaged in an epic, losing battle trying to get "On Demand" working, and dealing with the aftermath. The devices (iphone / ipad) simply would not pair no matter what. I re-booted both numerous times, and went so far as to uninstall iTether (which was working fine; I was intrigued by On Demand's auto-connect feature). After finally throwing in the towel, I reinstalled iTether and attempted to pair the devices. I would get to the point where you enter the passcode into them, but they wouldn't connect. I re-read iTether's instructions ad infinitum, and tried forever to get back to where I was before. I removed MyWi from both devices, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling iTether, reinstalling, still wouldn't work. Finally rebooted iPhone after uninstalling MyWi, and was able to pair devices with iTether, to great relief. Reinstalled MyWi, and sure enough, it broke iTether. Hopefully MyWi will be updated and actually work (or at least allow iTether to work), otherwise I'm out $20.00. In the meantime I'm looking into installing an older version of MyWi. :cool:

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
I dont know what the issues are, I have MyWi installed on my iPhone 4 JB BB 1.59 and did not by the MyWi On Demand but I connect my iPad all the time with no issues. Via Wifi by the way!

yukong

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I feel your pain...I just spent the last few hours engaged in an epic, losing battle trying to get "On Demand" working, and dealing with the aftermath. The devices (iphone / ipad) simply would not pair no matter what. I re-booted both numerous times, and went so far as to uninstall iTether (which was working fine; I was intrigued by On Demand's auto-connect feature). After finally throwing in the towel, I reinstalled iTether and attempted to pair the devices. I would get to the point where you enter the passcode into them, but they wouldn't connect. I re-read iTether's instructions ad infinitum, and tried forever to get back to where I was before. I removed MyWi from both devices, uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling iTether, reinstalling, still wouldn't work. Finally rebooted iPhone after uninstalling MyWi, and was able to pair devices with iTether, to great relief. Reinstalled MyWi, and sure enough, it broke iTether. Hopefully MyWi will be updated and actually work (or at least allow iTether to work), otherwise I'm out $20.00. In the meantime I'm looking into installing an older version of MyWi. :cool:

That is fascinating because as I reported above. I have an iphone 4 and an ipad each running 4.2.1. I jailbroke with the recent Greenpois0n 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak. First app I downloaded from Cydia was MyWi with On Demand. After installing both, I was able to pair on the first attempt and it has worked great ever since. I don't have a lot of jb apps, but I do have most of the top ones now and it still works without a hitch. I cannot imagine what is happening.

mjenk430

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Can I use "On Demand" to bluetooth tether to my macbook? I currently use MyWi to tether either by USB or wifi, but plugging in gets old, as does turning wifi on/off on my phone. Auto connect would be great! Any ideas?

I live in the boonies where ATT 3g is my only good option for internet. I currently have a 3g aircard with a 5Gig limit, so I tether my iphone with unlimited plan to my macbook when doing any large downloads or video/audio streaming.

webvan

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
That is fascinating because as I reported above. I have an iphone 4 and an ipad each running 4.2.1. I jailbroke with the recent Greenpois0n 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak. First app I downloaded from Cydia was MyWi with On Demand. After installing both, I was able to pair on the first attempt and it has worked great ever since. I don't have a lot of jb apps, but I do have most of the top ones now and it still works without a hitch. I cannot imagine what is happening.
It means there is hope! I only get "connected (with an IP)" on my iPad (used as host), the iPhone (client) stays stuck on handshaking...

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010

I just upgraded to 4.50 and it also broke iTether which was working perfectly for me before. Also, it seems I can't tether to a WiFi signal anymore which seemed to work in 4.0. I used this feature to tether my iPad to my iPhone when on an airplane so I use WiFi instead of 3G.

Is this still possible?

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
Can I use "On Demand" to bluetooth tether to my macbook? I currently use MyWi to tether either by USB or wifi, but plugging in gets old, as does turning wifi on/off on my phone. Auto connect would be great! Any ideas?

I live in the boonies where ATT 3g is my only good option for internet. I currently have a 3g aircard with a 5Gig limit, so I tether my iphone with unlimited plan to my macbook when doing any large downloads or video/audio streaming.

The way I understood it, MyWi's bluetooth tethering was for laptop computers that had that capability. Unless the update took that away, you shouldn't need the On Demand upgrade.

mattsb

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I dont know what the issues are, I have MyWi installed on my iPhone 4 JB BB 1.59 and did not by the MyWi On Demand but I connect my iPad all the time with no issues. Via Wifi by the way!

I think the issue is that bluetooth tethering to a laptop does not work (for me either). Wifi works fine.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
So this OnDemand feature uses Bluetooth, right? Does this mean I cannot use my Bluetooth headphones or connect my phone to my car (Ford Sync) while this feature is enabled? If so, this is totally impractical for me since I use Bluetooth all the time.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Do you always have a bluetooth headset in your ear? Because there's a general consensus that those people are disgusting ********s who deserved to be spit on by a hobo with oral herpes.

I think you assumed I use the headset to talk on the phone. They're actually stereo bluetooth headphones which I use to listen to streaming music. And when I enter my car, the phone connects via bluetooth to Ford Sync in order to make hands-free calls and stream bluetooth audio there as well.

Having this on-demand feature enabled would presumably tie up my bluetooth connection, preventing me from using these services, no?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
To the member having difficulty with MyWi turning off after ten minutes, go into settings (advanced) and set the timer from 10 minutes to never.

MyWi will then stay connected and on until you disengage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.