MyWi WiFi hotspot alternative?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to MyWi that offer the Wifi hotspot feature? I'd rather not pay $20 for an App that I'd only use occasionally when my schools Wifi goes to hell.

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I never got the whole anti-pirating stance of jailbreaking community.

It's OKAY to steal potential revenues from AT&T and Apple by tethering for free through MyWi but it's NOT OKAY to steal potential revenues from MyWi by pirating the app?

Someone care to explain? It's actually an honest question so I'd prefer no snide remarks. :rolleyes:

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

For the OP: right now, if you have to have a wifi hotspot for tethering, your choices are MyWi or PDAnet. There's a rumored $2 app coming, but we have no details and have already passed the expected release time.

If you can use Bluetooth or USB tethering, TetherMe is a $2 alternative. It does NOT produce a wifi hotspot though.

To the previous poster: you're probably better off making your own thread on that issue. It's been discussed half to death a number of times over just in the last month though; see any thread on MyWi and you'll probably find your explanations.

4. gmckay macrumors newbie

It is my opinion that the jailbreaking community stands that devices should not be artificially crippled, and therefore, the appliance that you purchase should have the abilities inherent within its capabilities.

What is unethical ?

Is it unethical to purposefully cripple a technology in order to dig deeper into your wallet?

Is it unethical to assist consumers with means to unlock the potential of a device in order to fill its intended role?

I don't understand your illogical leap to suggest anyone is stealing.

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I never said it was unethical. I just don't think there is a discrepancy between using MyWi and getting the MyWi app for free.

The thing is, you can get tethering from AT&T (and as much of it as you want) as long as you're willing to pay for it. It costs 20/month + $10/gig for every gig over 2.

They key is, you don't want to spend that money though, so you're circumventing the AT&T/Apple pay process by using an alternative application that allows you to do just the same, for a one time fee of $20. What's stopping you from circumventing the MyWi pay process and getting the app for free?

6. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Your yammering might have made sense if the OP was talking about pirating the app. It sounds like he just wants a cheaper app with the same functionality.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd also like to have the wifi hotstop feature without installing Rock.
    Or hope to be able to get Mywi soon thru cydia with no Rock or rock extentions.

8. musicmax macrumors member

PDANet

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

PDAnet is not a Mobile Hotspot, isn't it? unless it was updated recently it is not.

I believe it only support ad-hoc connections with Wifi Which is not quite a hotspot.

10. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Exactly. So, for example, you cannot use pdanet to connect an unjailbroken iPad to a jailbroken iPhone, because the iPad does not support creating an ad hoc network.

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Since both PDANet and MyWi create an ad hoc network, and OSX, Win7 and the iPad can all connect to it, why wouldn't PDANet and MyWi be considered as creating a hot spot?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The connection to MyWi is not a ad-hoc

Ac-hoc is a computer-to-computer connection. Hotspot can connect multiple devices, (8 in the case of MyWi)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that's the prob.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The problem with MyWi is that it requires Rock. Make a version w/o Rock and it's golden.

15. mokeiko macrumors 6502

Amen to that.

mokeiko

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Interesting. I guess my WinXP laptop was confused when I had to allow connecting to an ad hoc network in order to connect to MyWi and the icon in wireless networking in Win7 is that of an ad hoc network.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well it is Windows after all :rolleyes:

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

OSX shows the same thing. Got any other misinformation? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Typical troll activity. Post a bunch of BS and when called on it, run away.

19. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

First, tethering does not steal from Apple. Apple will make the same amount of money whether tethering is enabled or not. As for AT&T, my personal take on this matter is this:

When you install a cracked app, there is no argument that this is theft. To me, this is simply black and white. But enabling tethering, to me is a gray area. No doubt AT&T feels it black and white. But I pay AT&T for their service. In addition to phone usage, I pay an additional amount for an unlimited data plan. Even if I was on a limited usage plan, I'm paying for data usage. This is the difference - I AM paying AT&T for their data. When AT&T charges an additional amount for tethering, they are charging me twice for the same data. To me this is AT&T cheating me. What does it matter if the data I pay for goes only to the iPhone? Who cares if it goes to my laptop? It's the same data. To my knowledge, other smartphone devices have tethering enabled and there are no additional tethering fees. This is unique to the iPhone - again to my knowledge. I have no problems paying AT&T for data usage. But I have a problem paying for the same data twice. And I have a problem with AT&T charging me twice for this data ONLY because I have an iPhone. That's cheating me. Of course, this also applies to text messaging - another way AT&T screws its customers by charging them twice for data usage. I don't abuse the data plan. In fact my data usage is quite low. But I'll pay for MyWi before I'll pay twice for the same data.

TetherMe is a very reasonable alternative, but the CommCenter hack is free and does the same thing.

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Apple still gets a small (very small now after subsidization began) proportion of AT&T's subscribers profits do they not?

Tethering opens up internet usage to devices beyond just the iPhone, and you paid for the data usage just on the iPhone. If it's evident that you shouldn't have to pay an extra fee for tethering, then you shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to use MyWi either.

21. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

MyWi most definitely creates an ad-hoc network. Just because a network is ad-hoc does not mean Internet connections cannot be shared over it.

What type of network did you think it was creating? Sorry to say, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Try connecting to mywi on an htc incredible (even on 2.2) the network doesn't show up because the incredible doesn't support ad hoc for some reason.

22. astrorider macrumors 6502

There's no officially sanctioned way to tether an iPad to the iPhone, so MyWi or similar alternatives are the only means. I would pay ATT to occasionally tether my iPad, but I'm considering jailbreaking because there's no other way to tether over Wifi for now.

23. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

what's the big deal ?

i just put all my jailbroken apps into one folder

sure it would be cool not to have to install anything besides cydia

but if you jailbroke your phone, whats the added trouble of installing another app ?

$20 i well worth it

one time fee, and ZERO problems, extremely easy to use, etc etc

well worth the $20 bucks

24. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Where did the OP say he wanted to steal anything? He just said what many people have said, that $20 for the functionality is too much. I agree.

In MY opinion, MS Office for MAC @ $200 is too much to pay for what it does, so I chose to save my money and buy the less expensive iWork. Same situation as this guy is in.

Value of a product is relative to what someone is willing to pay. Do you think there would be rampant piracy if they sold DVDs for $1 and Songs for $0.10? No, of course not. The line is crossed when the price retail\distributors want for the product is more than a consumer is willing to pay. In the music industry there's no cheaper alternative to buy a CD, so people pirate it.

The MiWi\PDAnet example is a prime example. There's a large group of people who would buy it for $5 but not $20... but I'm sure they've calculated it and found that if they sell it for $20 they may sell 1/4th of the copies, but the revenue is the same. Doesn't make sense though because if they sold more copies there'd be more word of mouth advertising.

Sorry my post went way off topic, but it's basic Econ 101... the price of a product should be what someone is willing to pay. Clearly the window of MyWi being the only app of it's kind is allowing the dev to charge a premium. You better believe as alternatives come out the price will drop, but right now it's either buy it or pirate it if you need the features. However, never compare jailbreaking to piracy. Yes, MANY (if not most) people who jailbreak violate the law and install something they didn't pay for, but it's not a fair statement to say that someone who jailbreaks is someone who pirates.

25. bella92108 macrumors 68000

And PS, the response that "many people spend $10 a day on Starbucks Latte's ... yet complain about $20" is a BS comment. Maybe they feel Starbucks is worth it, but $20 for a feature such as MyWi isn't... that's for each person to decide for themselves, you're not one to criticize.