Naked iPhone 4? Safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

I love the form factor of my iPhone 4, but am scared to carry it around without a case. Anyone else in this boat?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Of course its fine. It was designed with being used with no case on in mind.

3. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Apple designed it more for looks vs being durable. The phone will not take a drop. You need to get a case on it immediately. Both sides are glass with a alum surround. It will dent/break if you drop it. The older 3G/3Gs were a bit stronger.

4. deeesea macrumors 6502

no its not safe. It's dangerous, if the iphone 4 naked comes into contact with air, it could explode.

It's a known issue and there's been an internal memo sent throughout apple for the Genius people to not accept broken iphones that are naked.

I'm joking. If you're a clutz and drop **** all the time, then no it's not a good idea. It's still safe though..just not so much for your iphone.

If you're super OCD about your electronics, it's still not a good idea, because it'll get scratched, and you'll feel bad, and it'll nag at you all day errday. it's still safe though...just not so much for your mental health.

If you don't give a rats ass about how your phone looks like because really..it's just a freaking phone. then it's a good idea to not spend excessive money to protect a product that's devaluing on a day to day basis. and it's safe ;).

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Moral of the story is if you take good care of it, there won't be anything to worry about. But then, of course, mistakes happen.

6. ericlin0122 macrumors member

7. eatbacon macrumors regular

I have never used a case, and frankly don't really care that my iPhone is all scratched up, but I am disappointed that after a few months of exactly the same treatment as my previous iPhones, my 4 is WAY more scratched than either my 2G or 3GS were after a year.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Of course its fine, if you know you wont drop it. But don't be surprised with any hairline scratches if you don't use a case because those might come with normal wear and tear.

9. llustig macrumors newbie

Think of your iPhone 4 as a sexy woman, or man, walking around naked in the streets. More than likely, depending on the situation, they will get raped by someone.

If you do not want your phone to get raped, then I suggest a case; however, if you decide not to get a case, I would say happy gangbang!

10. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I normally have my iPhone 4 in the Apple Bumper, but I've ran around naked for a while. I've damaged my fair share of iPhones, and being that the iPhone 4 is the most fragile, I'll keep it in its case. It's saved it a handful of times.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I keep it in my otterbox defender case. No worries and no freaking out when I accidentally drop it.

12. Sh00tingStar macrumors member

How is the iPhone a devaluing asset when you can easily sell an 18 month old 3G (that is two generations past current production) on eBay for $50-75 more than you paid for it originally? :confused:

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

14. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

I am getting an i4 next week. I saw some cases on eBay for $10

The one I want is a Blue carbon fiber. It looks cool but only protects the back from what I can see. I figure with that and screen protectors I should be good. I never dropped my 3G in 1.5 years, so hopefully I'll be safe.

Couldn't dare have an Otterbox, they're ugly as sin, and tooo bulky.

15. SL4VE macrumors 6502

you sure lol or did they want it in a bumper

seriously its fine naked but if you drop it, it could break but whats new about that

16. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

Good way to keep it simple:D

17. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I've had my iP4 naked for the last month or so... no problems. I have a couple of small scratches but I really, really love the way this thing looks. I used a bumper for a while which was great because it let me set the thing down without worrying about sand or dust scratching the glass but the bumper also seemed to collect dust and scuff up the metal edges of the phone.

Right now, I have a leather Zagg sticky thing on just the back and I love it.

I look at it in two parts;

If my phone got destroyed, would I be willing to replace it?
    In the event that it gets destroyed, what's the likelihood that a case would've actually saved it?

a case will protect against scuffs and scratches... as far as saving your iPhone from a total destruction event? I think it's hard to gauge how much (if any) damage a case will prevent anyway.

18. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

just don't hold it the wrong way or drop it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

I had my iPhone naked since I got it and am OCD about keeping it nice and clean and it never had a scratch but I just got a cheap case from hong kong that I'm using now lol. So I guess the story is wrap it if you don't want headaches later down the road

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's designed to look good.

If you drop it, the glass shatters and Apple gets some more of your money.

See how easy that is... :)

21. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I've installed Zagg invisible screens on the front and back. It's as close to naked, but yet not :) I had it on my 3GS for 16 months, when I sold it the other day and took of the screens it looked like new! I highly recommend it.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The phone will take a drop. It will take a drop on wood. It will take a drop on concrete. If you want your phone to look flawless, but never be able to appreciate it, put a case on it. If you don't mind light/minor scratches (similar to signs of use any product picks up), you'll be fine. The iPhone 4 is a huge improvement over the 3G/S, which felt flimsy, and may rival the 2G as the best looking and designed phone.

23. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but Zagg's protectors suck. They're near impossible to put on correctly, the corners get all gunky and start peeling up, and the screen gets a terrible orange peel effect.

Power Support has on their site a front and back static cling protector for the front and back. Mine is on there and you literally can't see it. I don't have to worry about scratches (if the film gets scratched, I can replace it), and my phone can be naked and look good. And when I go to sell it next June, it will be in near mint condition.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

for people that are really careful, caseless is fine. For those who are a little reckless ... always nice to be wearing protection :cool: