Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Who is using a case on there 5s and who is going without?

I have a Verizon screen protector and blue belkin candy grip sheer case on mine. Still super sleek with a little protection.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
You'd have to be straight crazy not to have some form of protection.

Either that or you don't care about resale value or you like to burn money on replacements via oow or applecare+.

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
I went with nothing but a back screen protector on my first two 5's. Did just fine. Normal wear and tear is expected. I just got a replacement for a faulty sleep/wake button and now with no more 1-year warranty I have a really slim case now just to be safe.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
64GB Silver AT&T 5S.

Naked. Always.

I've had every iPhone since the original on the day they've come out. I've never used a case on any of them. Especially since the 4, these are highly engineered pieces of precision beauty in my hand. Why would I cover them with a $30 piece of plastic?

Last edited:

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
64GB Silver AT&T 5S.

Naked. Always.

I've had every iPhone since the original on the day they've come out. I've never used a case on any of them. Especially since the 4, these are highly engineered pieces of precision beauty in my hand. Why would I cover them with a $30 piece of plastic?

I use the analogy of Megan Fox. If someone gave you Megan Fox, why cover her up in a huge fur coat. You'd want her naked :cool:....except for her thumbs, she can hide those

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Either that or you don't care about resale value or you like to burn money on replacements via oow or applecare+.

Don't think it's crazy not to resell your phones, and I've gone through 4 phones without ever needing to buy a replacement or applecare+. Try again butterfingers.

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
64GB Silver AT&T 5S.

Naked. Always.

This.

Why would you want to make the phone heavier, thicker, and uglier.

dazedxar

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Bay Area, California
Usually I put it in a case because of the fact I don't have a full upgrade for the next 18 months. So if I break it by dropping it, it's coming out of my own pocket.

But the last few months before my next upgrade? I treat it like I stole it.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Invisishield HD screen protector and a ZooGue case.

Got the ZooGue for free. This is sweet. My wife has had it for a year and despite it being a bendable plastic, the plastic hasn't softened and the it still holds on to the phone. Great little case for the price.

Wish I had a nice clear case that allowed me to admire the gold though. But most clear cases are hard plastic and scratch quiiiiick

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Nah. I just never set it on hard surfaces, keep it in a completely empty front pocket of my pants, and keep hold of it when it's in my hand.

Problem solved.

Kemonsterr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
California!
People freak out too much about their phones. There's no point in me wanting a gold iphone just to slap a case over the beauty. Ima go naked for awhile when I get it. I have AppleCare if it breaks :)

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
I still can't believe people don't use a case. You can never be too careful, especially at the bar.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I use the analogy of Megan Fox. If someone gave you Megan Fox, why cover her up in a huge fur coat. You'd want her naked :cool:....except for her thumbs, she can hide those

But if you took her in public naked, you'd run the risk of her getting injured, decreasing the resell value and...

Well, using a case here. Since I got and dropped my first ipod touch so many years ago I can't imagine going without a case. Funny thing is since then I can't recall having dropped an iDevice, but still no reason to do without.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I will never keep my iPhone naked... ever. I'd rather hide my iPhone in a case and cover it's beauty, but know it's staying pristine, rather than showing it off and having it get scuffs, dents and nicks across the edges. No way. It's like buying a Mercedes and not getting it waxed and taking it off road and getting dings and scratches all over it.

Especially since I have the 5S now, this thing isn't built the same as the 4S, so I will take extra good care.

With that being said, I have a front and back screen protector, a clear TPU case (so I can protect it and show it off), and a side band protector coming in the mail for my 4S. And I refuse to activate and use it until it's completely covered. I need 360 protection. :D

My 4S has been in a case since day 1 and is still mint condition after 2 years.

Everytime I inspect a friends iPhone that isn't in a case, it's looks like rubbish.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Nah. I just never set it on hard surfaces, keep it in a completely empty front pocket of my pants, and keep hold of it when it's in my hand.

Problem solved.
Me too. The 5/5s is so amazingly thin and light that it's a sin to bulk it up with even a slim case. I just do all of the above and don't get obsessive about it needing to look absolutely factory fresh after a year or two of use.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Don't think it's crazy not to resell your phones, and I've gone through 4 phones without ever needing to buy a replacement or applecare+. Try again butterfingers.

I understand you got lucky but as a previous phone seller, I have seen tons of iPhones with cracked screens because of drops. Those cost over $150 to fix at apple. On the other hand, I have seen phones with cases fall very hard without a single scratch. I understand why you don't use a case but I can also understand why many do. Personally, I've always had a case on my iphone even the 5s and they stay flawless after 1 year. It just gives me peace of mind. Whatever makes you happy.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
2 of my co-workers dropped their iPhones with a case on and broke their screens. They were not extremely beefy cases, but they were silicone or TPU and fairly protective. Most cases only really protect from scratches, dents, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.