Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
No case = a terrible looking iPhone.
No case = scratches on the phone.
No case is for those who think the iPhone is "just a phone" and nothing more.

FYI, you WILL eventually drop your iphone on the concrete somewhere.

I prefer to protect my investment.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I bought the spigen slim armor case. I absolutely love it. The black and orange look amazing with the space gray. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have my iPhone naked, but I know I'm going to want the 6s? two years from now, and having a crap load of scratches on the back from laying it on surfaces is not going to help the resale value. I don't care what you say about "ruining" the iPhone with a case, not having one on it is just plain stupid.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I put a back screen protector on it, so it doesn't scratch when placing it on tables. The rest of the phone naked. Worked fine for my 4S. Just be careful, and don't hand your phone to stupid friends and you'll be fine.
Pretty much.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I put a back screen protector on it, so it doesn't scratch when placing it on tables. The rest of the phone naked. Worked fine for my 4S. Just be careful, and don't hand your phone to stupid friends and you'll be fine.

The 4S was built a little different than the 5/5S and although the 4/4S may have been worse at drop tests because of the glass, it definitely held up better as far as the glass not getting scratched or damaged, and the steel band was bulletproof. The 5S is "softer" metal, more susceptible to scuffs/dents. A naked iPhone 5/5S will look like hell compared to a naked 4/4S after a year or two.

blah007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
How do you keep dust and lint from getting into your phones speakers and all the holes with and without a case? I put mine in my pocket at work (in a case) and its collects dust in the holes while in there :(

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
No case = a terrible looking iPhone.
No case = scratches on the phone.
No case is for those who think the iPhone is "just a phone" and nothing more.

FYI, you WILL eventually drop your iphone on the concrete somewhere.

I prefer to protect my investment.

It is inevitable. Things get dropped. It'll fall out of your pocket as you're getting out of the car. You'll swear you can hold two things at once in your hand one time, you'll make a bad judgement and drop it.

I had iPhones for 3 years until one day I was out at a bar texting and something else caught my attention, turn around, and the phone slid straight out of my hand. It happens.

LagLiquidators

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Louisiana
I don't use a case at all. Can't stand them. Things happen and I'm sure I' ll eventually drop one but I'd rather just enjoy my phone the way it was designed. I don't want to have wrap in some rubbery ugly case. I take care of the things I buy. I don't put my phone in the pocket with keys and stuff like that. Maybe I'm crazy but I also don't have plastic on my couches and I occasionally drive without a seatbelt. lol

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Who is using a case on there 5s and who is going without?

I have a Verizon screen protector and blue belkin candy grip sheer case on mine. Still super sleek with a little protection.

buy apple care+ and go naked. if it gets scratched up just drop it in the toilet and pay the $79 for a new one

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
64gb silver at&t 5s.

Naked. Always.

I've had every iphone since the original on the day they've come out. I've never used a case on any of them. Especially since the 4, these are highly engineered pieces of precision beauty in my hand. Why would i cover them with a $30 piece of plastic?

agreed. Close the thread, he cracked the code

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
I have a case and a glass screen protector. I honestly think my phone looks better than naked. Now I have great protection, my phone depreciates less, and looks even sleeker than before. If you're denying that you're denying reality.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I took the case off to clean it a few times and couldn't stand having it naked. Anyone know if repeatedly removing and adding a case can hurt the phone? Doubtful because there are people that replace their cases weekly. Plus my case is TPU.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Naked but have it in a sleeve when in my pocket, only time I use a case is on a night out or when I am on a photography shoot as I shoot sports and make notes on the phone.

D3TSURA

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
I've had all the iPhones and the only thing that I've ever used was a pouch type case for the original iPhone which I used for about a week after launch. I've been naked ever since and I'm loving every minute of it.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I like to go naked unless I am on vacation and near water then I throw on the waterproof case.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Using the apple leather case with a spigen SGP glass.tr screen protector made of glass

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I use a Knomo leather pouch for pocket protection and then naked in use
http://www.knomobags.com/uk/iphone-leather-sleeve-black.html/

This is exactly what I have always done - except with a Beyza Case.

It's the best of both worlds I reckon.

When I'm on the move (or it's in my pocket), the phones in the case. At all other times I rest it on top of case with no added protection.

Works for me & I've always been able to fund the downpayment on the top storage model iPhone from selling my old one in excellent condition (more often making a profit).

. . . When my phone is all banged up and time comes to sell, I simply make an appointment with a genius in an Apple store, make up some bulls**t excuse as to what is not working (such that they can't refute it), and bang, I walk out with a brand new looking phone.

I did this with my iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5. No questions asked. Exchanged on the spot. Then I sell this brand new looking iPhone. Question is, why would I not take advantage of this when I pay so much money for the phone?

There ya have it. There are millions of sheeple protecting their precious phone. And then there's me . . .

There are millions of people with moral fibre - and then there's you . . .

Last edited:

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
I have the red leather case with the black phone. The leather has a nice soft grip to it.

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
Naked, space gray 5s. No other way. My black 5 was naked and it looked fine. Would love to have kept the 5 for another year to put more wear and character to it but I broke down and got a 5s.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
i've always used my iphones naked ... but enough about me my phones are naked too, although i have relented this time and bought the crumpler private surprise phone sleeve for when it's in my pocket, as it offers a little protection, but when in use, damn i want everyone seeing the shiny goldness of the device!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can't believe I forgot but for sure this ^

I agree with this too. The 5/5S is nice to look at but it's too thin, slick, and sharp for comfortable holding. Personally, I wish the guts of the 5S were also available in the body of the 5C. That thing is such joy to look at and hold. People can talk all they want, but that plastic doesn't feel cheap AT ALL.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
I never understood why anybody would use a case on a beautiful design like the iPhone 5 or 5S.

All cases, no matter how slim, absolutely ruin the look. You may think they're sleek and thin, but at the end of the day you have a case and it's just not the same. It sucks. And deep down inside you know it sucks.

Now, of course I understand why people THINK that they have to use a case. Most use it because they feel that's the only way to preserve the phone, its value, blah blah blah...

You can stress about not having a case. Or you can do what I do. When my phone is all banged up and time comes to sell, I simply make an appointment with a genius in an Apple store, make up some bulls**t excuse as to what is not working (such that they can't refute it), and bang, I walk out with a brand new looking phone.

I did this with my iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5. No questions asked. Exchanged on the spot. Then I sell this brand new looking iPhone. Question is, why would I not take advantage of this when I pay so much money for the phone?

There ya have it. There are millions of sheeple protecting their precious phone. And then there's me, enjoying the sleek design of the phone without a stupid case, and getting a new-looking replacement when it's time to sell.

You're welcome.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

This.

All these plebs "protecting" their phones with hideous cases never cease to amuse me.

It's just a cellphone for fuxsake! If you're that worried about it just pay for some insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.