Naked-iPhone owners

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ciberkarlos, May 22, 2014.

1. ciberkarlos macrumors member

Hi everyone, i've been trying a lot of different cases/back covers/bumpers for my 5s and i still can't find the perfect one. I think the size, weight and feel of the naked iPhone can't be experienced with a case; however, it's too scary for mee to not use any protection on my 5s.

To those who don't wear any cases, do you recommend it? Is your iPhone too damaged, scratched, etc.? Have you ever regret not using a case? Please convince me to go naked:D

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

While handling your naked iPhone feels great, unless you are very careful, and even if your are, you phone will suffer an occasional scratch or nick in the anodized surface.

I have not dropped my phone in years but still choose to use a Sedio Surface case which protects it from minor scratches and scrapes without adding any bulk. I remember looking for a soft place just to lay my phone down before I got my case. My phone is a valuable tool that allows me to get out in the field without being out of contact so I do not need to be worrying about a place to set it down.

I have a friend who has worn the anodized surfaces on the edge of his 5s but just everyday use and keeping it in his pocket. He just had to get his 5s replaced as he bumped into a table and bent his 5s, while in his pocket, to the point it quit working.

It is your choice.

3. Ruckus12 macrumors member

Been using iphone 5s since launch without any real case and it's still in great condition. I have a glass screen protector, and the best skins ever rear and side protection.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Naked here for eleven months and not a single mark on my phone. I'm extremely careful with it, it never goes in a pocket with ANYTHING else.

5. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Had both the 5, and the 5s since launch day without a case. Got a few little nicks and scratches on the chamfered edge but other than that there's no visible damage at all. I've dropped my 5s a couple of times, luckily it survived!

I've tried a few cases (Apple 5s case the most recent) and I just prefer the feel of the phone, feels much more premium and why hide that beauty? Depends how careful you are I guess, but in my experience they aren't as fragile and delicate as some make out.

Well worth it in my opinion :)

6. Dezmond macrumors member

My iPhone4 has zero scratches while I've had it naked for 4 years and sometimes even keep it in my pants with loose change or keys. I also drop it occasionally and only one time got a crack on the back side. I replaced it myself with what they told me was an official back cover but that one has been scratching A LOT. Beside some tear, small scratches it is in prime condition.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Naked with zero problems here
    I don't baby my phone, but I don't abuse it either
    I just use it, 'cause that's what I got it for :)
    I am not concerned with resale value since I have never resold any of my phones
    They always get passed down

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I had my iPhone 5 naked for a year (which I sold) & I've had my iPhone 5s naked since launch. I would recommend it. For me, cases take away from the beautiful design of the iPhone and they make the iPhone thicker & heavier.

I don't baby my iPhone but I'm not careless with it either. I had very very minor scratches on my iPhone 5 and it sold for the same price as other used iPhones that were 'scratch-free'.

At the end of the day, it's a phone & it can be replaced.

9. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

i used to buy cases but i have stopped. naked all the way. if it gets scratched that's it. everything gets scratched at some point.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Same here, I always used to buy cases. I had a premium leather one for my iPhone 4 but the case itself scratched the phone (on the sides) and I figured I could do a better job of preventing scratches myself! Naked all the way now, apart from a screen protector front and rear. Much better.

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Naked iPhone 4.

I had the free bumper (for 4-6 months until that just split on me)
    I have a tiny crack on the back and some slight scratches. a couple nicks in the metal band.

Overall, it is fine. I've dropped it on the sidewalk from waist high once...that might be where the tiny crack came from on the backside.

I've thought about cases just never found a "perfect" one.
    those that are close to what I like have a plug part that won't work.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You have protection. You got AppleCare+ with your phone right? Right?

Two incidents of Accidental Damage and Handling (ADH) at $49 each, no questions asked.

I hate cases, they ruin the look and there are some real fugly ones (Otterbox) that make your phone unrecognizable as an iPhone. But I don't resell my phones, I use them and enjoy them and then move on to the next when I can afford it and put the old one to a different use.

Most people wanting a pristine iPhone AND using a case to achieve that are doing it because they want to resell the phone to fund a new one. I don't play that game, especially when I have to hide my phone during the years I'm using it. When you have heart palpitations because your phone is out of your case for cleaning and it's all you can do to get it back into it's case – well it's time to rethink things.

My iPhone has been dropped, it has scratches and scuffs and one chamfered edge has been worn. But it's not beat up and it's fully functional. Use a case or not, it's personal preference.

I'd just rather enjoy seeing and using my phone without a case being in the way.

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I've never used a case with my 5, but I do use an iLoome Flex glass screen protector, which gives the screen the same feel as being naked with minimal compromise. I highly recommend at least a glass protector on the screen if planning to go naked. The Flex is not as resistant as the actual screen glass, and it has minor scratches already from in and out of the pocket, but there are other glass protectors that are more scratch resistant. Regardless of my safeguards, I can't avoid scratches on the chamfered edges, even with Skinomi skins on back and sides. Sent from my MacBook Air.

14. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I've been on both sides of this, and there's no right/wrong answer!?

Currently have a LifeProof as I'm trying to "teach" myself how to use a phone for what it is... A PHONE #!!!

Seriously, I've gotten to the point where I annoy myself and have spent WAY TO MUCH TIME AND MONEY trying to get the "perfect" iPhone.

So now, with it fully protected, I won't be worrying for a few years, and hopefully in that time I'll have calmed down with my OCD complex #.

15. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Never use a case.

I'm on my fourth iPhone and second iPad. All look brand new. I use them a lot too.

It depends on the person though. I've never dropped my phone once in almost 20 years, all the way back when I was using Motorola and Nokia feature phones.

If you are likely to drop your phone, then use a case.

16. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I've only had my 5S for a week and I am babying this thing since I don't have a case. I did buy one the day I picked up the phone, but it didn't allow me to press the sleep/wake button without extreme force. So my phone is naked right now besides the front skin.

I was told to go to: http://www.**********.net/collectio...ies/products/clear-protection-iphone-5s-skins

They are supposed to be the best clear skin protectors out there. You can buy any combination you want. Clear sides, clear back full, clear back half (just the middle anodized section), or a full set. The price is right too.

In the next couple of days I'll be ordering the clear sides and rear. I really like the feel of the phone without a case. But I want to get it a little protection from scratches.

----------

Hm... It keeps censoring the link..

The site is STICKER BOY . NET

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

I use my 5S mostly naked but I have a Caudabe Veil that I use occasionally when I know I'm going to be somewhere where I may need to put my phone on unfavorable surfaces.

It's really thin, almost like it isn't even there.

18. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Whenever I've come across someone who has told me this, I have always asked to please see their phone only to point out all the scratches on the screen and phone itself.

Fact is, regardless of how careful you are or how clean you keep your pocket, you will scratch your phone. What I recommend is what the poster above mentioned, a clear skin and glass screen shield... does wonders to preserve the condition of the phone.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There isn't a single mark on my phone, I have held it up to a bright light and examined it closely. I baby my phones and am anally retentive about making sure they don't get scratched. I'm not clumsy, and I'm extremely careful. Many people are neither.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm just wondering here, since this seems to be a common refrain for those advocating cases. What are we preserving the condition for?

Resale? OK fine. But some of us (a lot of us) don't resell our phones. For looks? Collections? What?

Why does it matter five years from now? Ten? More?

Except to collectors, a small market that yes, is willing to pay big bucks for flawless phones. Which is essentially, preserving the phone for resale. But for the rest of us, who cares?

I'm not being argumentative, I just don't understand this need to shrinkwrap an iPhone and keep it perfect when it's going to be outdated and passed over in 5+ years. If you don't resell your phones, why the obsessive urge to keep the phone cased? Other than just personal reasons of your own, I don't see the point.

21. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

This is more a discussion of where one perceives value where another doesn't or why an individual feels the need to maintain a certain level condition where another doesn't (regardless of application be it goods, hygiene or whatever). Everyone see things differently which is what makes the world go round. I'll just leave it at that end the discussion there.:)

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Unless you're clumsy and have a track record of regularly dropping phones, or you choose to keep your phone in a pocket with keys/coins, or you enjoy throwing it around, cases are pretty pointless. They cost money, add weight and size to the phone, and detract from the looks. It's like buying a sofa and keeping the shrink wrap on, or buying a car and immediately putting seat covers on the upholstery. Are you protecting the phone for a future owner? Why not enjoy it yourself?

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My brother shattered his 5C this morning, so he would tell you it is not a good idea. :p

I went from 2007-2010 without using a case on my iPhone 2G. For me, the iPhones are just too thin these days to use comfortably without one, so I currently have a Incipio Feather on my 5S. Before that, I was using the iPhone 4 bumpers and then a Speck PixelSkin HD when my back shattered after it fell out of the second bumper. My dad went through two OtterBox ones before I passed him down my PixelSkin which he's been using for over two years now.

I don't care about keeping the phone safe in general, I just want a better fit in my hand.

You should at least put a clear skin on it. The back and the front are the most vulnerable when they suffer a drop.

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I use a real nice case all day. I dont remember where I got it but its not to thick and it is good enough that I was able to kick my phone down a hall way and it was fine when it came crashing down:eek: But when its later in the day when I'm just sitting in bed using my phone and iPad the I take the case off because if I drop it it will be fine on the bed. I always love taking the case off the phone just feels so much better and more natural. I think you should just do that

25. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Naked is Best but...

Going Naked is the best feeling...Period. Not many cases can ever replace that tactile feel, unless you go Metal. The problem is going Metal guarantees a drop in signal and voice quality.

If you can deal with dropping the phone by accident eventually then go naked, but you better get AHD coverage.