Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I use my 5S mostly naked but I have a Caudabe Veil that I use occasionally when I know I'm going to be somewhere where I may need to put my phone on unfavorable surfaces.

It's really thin, almost like it isn't even there.

I have this on my 5s as well, and absolutely love it. I'm not a huge fan of cases, so I normally put a thin one on there anyway for minimal protection.

The Caudabe is basically feels like there is not even a case on the phone, but at least if I put it down on an unfavorable surface such as on a bar, the back of my phone isn't going to get all sticky.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Depends on what you mean by naked.

I only have the skins on my phone (front and back) and don't have any damage on phone at all.

Depending on the case, but I found that cases just collected dirt and grim on the corners and didn't really protect the phone from falls.

JMHO

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I've only had my 5S for a week and I am babying this thing since I don't have a case. I did buy one the day I picked up the phone, but it didn't allow me to press the sleep/wake button without extreme force. So my phone is naked right now besides the front skin.

I was told to go to: http://www.**********.net/collectio...ies/products/clear-protection-iphone-5s-skins

They are supposed to be the best clear skin protectors out there. You can buy any combination you want. Clear sides, clear back full, clear back half (just the middle anodized section), or a full set. The price is right too.

In the next couple of days I'll be ordering the clear sides and rear. I really like the feel of the phone without a case. But I want to get it a little protection from scratches.

----------

Hm... It keeps censoring the link..

The site is STICKER BOY . NET

Well, you should put a skin on it and not worry unless you like to drop you phone alot.

as far as the link goes...
Not sure I want to see the content at a site named sticker boy:D

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Go Nude!

hahaha

I've actually been talking to my friends a lot about this. I myself don't use a case but only because I either break my case, not slim enough, and simply because it makes me look cooler not using a case.

It is risky, and I've had my fair share of broken screens and paying for repair. But I've also seen my friends not use a case and take extremely good care of it. For someone like me I should be using a case but I guess I just haven't found the perfect case that also showcases the design of the phone itself.

The only case that I've REALLY enjoyed was just a simple bumper that made my phone pop with whatever color but also allowed protection but still showed the beautiful design of the iphone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
hahaha

I've actually been talking to my friends a lot about this. I myself don't use a case but only because I either break my case, not slim enough, and simply because it makes me look cooler not using a case.

It is risky, and I've had my fair share of broken screens and paying for repair. But I've also seen my friends not use a case and take extremely good care of it. For someone like me I should be using a case but I guess I just haven't found the perfect case that also showcases the design of the phone itself.

The only case that I've REALLY enjoyed was just a simple bumper that made my phone pop with whatever color but also allowed protection but still showed the beautiful design of the iphone.

Bumpers look cheap and nasty in my opinion, horrid things. They don't show off the phone at all, just the screen.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I never use a case and my silver 5s is like new. Not one dent, scratch, nick, nothing.

Of course I'm very careful with it. Pits always in a pocket alone always on top of. a leather pouch when it's sitting on my coffee table.

I've had a look at friends who use a case with theirs and their phones have little scratches and nicks where bits of minuscule debris got in behind the case.

Those that use a case with a cut out for the logo have a circle around the logo.

So my phone is in better shape than those who use a case. Of course, if I dropped it it would be a different story. I only ever dropped one iPhone and it was my 5 I placed on my sons blankey. Which was a stupid place to rest my iPhone. He came along grabbed his blankey and the phone went for a tumble.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Change in feel, temperature?

How do the skins change the feel of the iPhone?

I've always had a problem with the metal on laptops--e.g. Powerbok G4, MacBook Air. They're very cold in the morning, especially the winter.

Same thing is true of the iPads and iPhones, although truth be told, I've never really spent much time with an iPhone that way-- maybe it's better than the others…

But I guess what I'm asking is whether the skins warm up the feel of the phone!

ciberkarlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Wow, thanks MR community for all the opinions!

You definitely convince to go naked:p Actually, i've never dropped the phone and the only thing i'm afraid of is scratches and tiny marks. If i get a new iPhone (maybe i'll wait until the 6s) i won't sell it, but i'll give it to my wife, so i don't need it to be "perfect" for sale.

However, i'm thinking on using some skins (back and sides) like some of you have proposed to avoid tiny scratches. I've never tried them. It feels good, or like cheap plastic?

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
T
a3u4azyg.jpg
this is what happened on my first day trying to be naked. Never gonna do it anymore. Thankfully, the screen didn't crack.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
Yes it's a separate service. You still need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar. They won't replace the whole iPhone just the back.

I was under impression that they'd only replace the back anyway haha. And I'm not going to because I've just ordered a new phone=D

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I have this on my 5s as well, and absolutely love it. I'm not a huge fan of cases, so I normally put a thin one on there anyway for minimal protection.

The Caudabe is basically feels like there is not even a case on the phone, but at least if I put it down on an unfavorable surface such as on a bar, the back of my phone isn't going to get all sticky.

Absolutely. My Caudabe Veil is still going strong. Love it. Best way to go naked without actually having to go naked. I swear this topic pops up every few months. The Caudabe really is perfect for keeping that stock feel of the iPhone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Used my 3GS for 3 years without a case and my launch day 5 has spent the majority of its life not in a case...i just cant get on with them. Did buy one for my 5 but when a work colleague picked up the 5 when i got it and commented on how it wasnt much lighter etc than his 3GS i took it off as it was ruining the feel of the phone and this was a fairly expensive Tech 21 case not some cheap eBay thing.

Bar one mark on the bezel from where i dropped it on the pavement and got away fairly lightly the worst marking on the phone came when i recently tried again with the same case and then when taking it off its marked the phone.

I much prefer the phone naked and wont be bothering with cases again especially if the next iPhone is bigger...the last thing i want to be doing is making it bigger still with a case on it.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you want the naked feeling with a case get one of those aluminum thin bumper cases from eBay. Very sleek. I just can't go naked. The phone can break from a single drop. Too risky. Plus I hate scratches.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
another vote here for the caudabe veil. It's saved my chamfered edges on at least two occasions from what would almost certainly have been chips. I think it works best with the white faced iPhones because the case just absolutely disappears. Awesome case for the money.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
I have an iPhone 4 since late 2010, naked all the way. It has only a couple of scratches on the edges but its 90% like it was the first day. Not only did I drop it on the floor but a couple of times I went to my pocket to answer it and I pulled to fast (like John Wayne a pistol) and it went flying in the air and smack down on the concrete road. Not one crack.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Bumpers look cheap and nasty in my opinion, horrid things. They don't show off the phone at all, just the screen.

I agree. They're the worst of all worlds because they don't really protect much at all BUT they still sort of look like they're supposed to since they change the feel of the phone quite a bit.

I like going full on naked, but my daily driver is a Caudabe Veil. Now there's one case that doesn't change the feel of the phone. It'll probably sacrifice itself if you drop the phone, but that's pretty much what I'm looking for in a thin case. The biggest benefit is that I get a case that almost looks and feels naked, but that isn't. And it works better than a skin because it's easier to put on and it actually covers all of the edges. I don't think any skins do that, but I could be wrong.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I started off with an Otterbox with my iPhone 5 (first iPhone, just bricked my first smartphone, didn't want my butterfingers to bust it and make my parents mad). Used that for about six months until I realized how bad they are at transferring the heat and actually keeping dust out. I also realized that the chamfered edge by the lightening port was getting scratched from looking for the port in the dark. Switched to a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer and have been very satisfied. It's a light TPU that has a translucent back so you can see the Apple logo. So far so good. Not perfect for keeping the dust out, but it prevents major scratches and cracks.

Vicness

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
South Africa
My very first iphone

I just received my very first iphone about a week ago moving from Android, and i am now an apple fanatic, already ordered the Ipad. I am quite protective of my stuff, i try to look after it, so i have protection for both. But whatever you prefer is fine, i just feel safer with a case. (Oh and my very first post on here :D)

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I agree. They're the worst of all worlds because they don't really protect much at all BUT they still sort of look like they're supposed to since they change the feel of the phone quite a bit.

I like going full on naked, but my daily driver is a Caudabe Veil. Now there's one case that doesn't change the feel of the phone. It'll probably sacrifice itself if you drop the phone, but that's pretty much what I'm looking for in a thin case. The biggest benefit is that I get a case that almost looks and feels naked, but that isn't. And it works better than a skin because it's easier to put on and it actually covers all of the edges. I don't think any skins do that, but I could be wrong.

Ditto. The Caudabe is a terrific little case. Awesomely thin. Although just today I took it off and attempted to go fully naked again. We'll see how long this lasts - I have a hunch I'll end up putting the Caudabe on again.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Used my iPhone for a week naked but came to the conclusion that there rally was no way to do that and not get it dinged up. I use the Zagg glass screen protector and the apple leather red case. One day I dropped my phone something I can't remember ever doing and yes the case got a bit scuffed up the phone was in prefect condition no damage. I was so happy to have the case on the phone. So in the end it's a risk you take running it naked, and while you might think you never drop your phone you can't be 100% on that. So in conclusion I would never run my iPhone naked

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.