Naked or bumper??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NorthernMan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. NorthernMan macrumors newbie

This has probably been discussed on here many times. So let's do it again please. I have my bumper on at the moment, but it looks so ugly. I want my phone to be naked and free but I'm worried about it getting damaged. What's everyone else doing?

Cheers NorthernMan

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Naked.

But I will have a new iPhone in 9 months so I'm not THAT worried about scratches anymore. But naked is the way to go. It's to pretty to cover up.

3. h0ttballer macrumors member

I just bought my IP4 yesterday, so I still don't have a case/bumper. I ordered the clear snap case from incase through the case program. All I can say is that the IP4 looks truly amazing without the case. Seeing the metallic sides is always a plus :p

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I have the white bumper on, love it. Adds grippyness to the phone.

5. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I had the black bumper from apple on my iPhone 4 for a month then thought of taking it off and trying it naked.

The iphone feels so much slimmer and looks so much nicer without the case.

I made up my mind and will keep no case on my iPhone.

I am just going to get a new one anyways when apple makes the next generation.

and if anything happens to the iPhone, like the glass breaks, You can just go to an apple retail store and pay them somewhere around $30-60 to have the glass replace. Thats it.

Soon iPhones will be so thin and light that if they fall they wont damage. That would be the day many people would go caseless.

6. RobMoss macrumors regular

I have a free clear plastic case which looks fairly ok, but I will upgrading to the iBand as soon as I can!

7. bobiix macrumors newbie

Naked. Maybe some kind of screen and back protector.

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

If you have a bumper, your iPhone is naked. Useless. That being said, I would suggest you google: "Bumper scratched my iphone". While your at it, you might well google "iphone 4 cracked screen. You will find that most of the people with cracked screens, dented metal bands and general scratches went "naked".

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i have an incase slider on mine and it bubbles my screen protector in the corners .. im tempted to keep the case on and lose the screen protector

10. kingdLo macrumors 6502

Mines semi naked. Screen protectors on both sides since day 1. The metal band has gotten scratched but nothing on the glass.

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I had the black bumper and I preferred it that having it naked when I would go out because I always felt like the naked phone would slip out of my hand. But I just put the Smoke Incase Snap case, and I really like it! I think the bumper would offer more protection if it were to fall, but the snap case feels better. I like the finish that it has; it feels nice.

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

13. ricriley macrumors newbie

Naked, I got a bumper through the free case program and it looks so much better without!

I like the grippyness of the bumper without it seems to slide everywhere. I have noticed a small scratch on the back of my phone which can only of come from laying flat on the table without the bumper.

Some people don't seem to care about the look of there phone, depends what your like...

14. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

I Want To Be Naked BUT...

The "newness" of mine finally wore off a few days ago and I ditched my iFrogz Luxe (purchased when I bought my phone) to go naked as I had done with all 3 previous gens. Much to my dismay I found that I indeed have the dreaded antennae issues, losing 2-3 bars by simply gripping the phone normally. So are those who are running naked saying you have no attenuation issues whatsoever?

I've always ran naked and this most stunning gen iPhone makes me want to continue to do so but I'm finding out the antennae issue is very much for real. Should I/can I return it and keep trying until I possibly get one that does not have this issue or at least a lesser version of the issue (still less than 30 days old)?

Now that I'm experiencing what all the hype was about first hand, it really does piss me off. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on :apple: in just the last few years; can't imagine how much over my total Apple lifetime experience. I expect more. I deserve more. We all do.

PS - For what it's worth I've dropped and cracked all 3 previous gen iPhones due to going naked. :(

15. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

for the first 2 days i had my iphone and didnt have a case or bumper on it i had no antenna issues at all .. i guess i got lucky

16. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

When I had an Invisible Shield it would do the same (bubbles), but since switching to the harder PowerSupport shield, problem solved! PS makes a MUCH better shield.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm using the Apple black bumper on mine. I plan on keeping mine for at least a couple of years. To me, the naked iPhone just feels too slippery.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

+1

I definitely was planning on going naked, but it did feel super slippery to me, and I was afraid I was going to drop it. So on day 2 of my phone, I picked up the bumper. It's been on ever since. I haven't had any of the scratch problems I've read about on here, but I do take it off every few days to clean it. IMO, it's the next best thing to having it naked. I've also dropped it a few times (once on wood flooring, once on tile) and not a scratch on the phone.

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Same here, IMO the Incase slider is the best case on the market, it adds little bulk and looks great (mine is metallic). I had to remove my screen protector for this very reason and do not like my screen to be unprotected. Others may claim to have no scratches without screen protectors but I find that impossible to believe because glass is very prone to scratches.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It is so not. It adds so much bulk and looks ugly. I wouldn't mind if it were thin but ugly or bulky but not ugly. But the two together just make it worthless. How is it the best case when you have to remove the screen protector to use it? Also, unless you drag the iPhone 4 on concrete or diamond, the glass won't scratch. You say it is very prone to scratches, any pictures to prove that? If you know what the glass is made of, you won't believe in this silliness.

Best case so far is Apple's Bumper. It doesn't scratch the metal band like some people say. I've had it on for about over a month. I'm currently using the SPeck PixelSkin HD which is also a good case.

21. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i've always kept mine naked since the first iphone was released. knock on wood, i've only dropped an iphone once in three+ years of ownership so i'm pretty careful with them. to protect the ip4 i've used bodyguardz, luckylabs, and gelaskin covers on the rear. i don't like the added bulk of cases and think it distracts from the original design.

bodyguardz w/ temp zagg sides
    [​IMG]

lucky labs sides and rear
    [​IMG]

lucky labs sides and gelaskin rear
    [​IMG]

22. macdim macrumors 6502

I hate the bumper. Makes it much more difficult to get the phone into/out of my pocket.

I have mine naked and nothing has been scratched and I have dropped it. Also, the antenna "problem" is there, but hasn't ever caused me to drop a call.

23. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Naked. I have a case that I use when I am in a situation where I suspect the iPhone might be at rist, but normally its naked.

24. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Look through the countless threads (with pictures) here and see how many iPhones (all generations) have gotten scratched in peoples pockets or for unknown reasons.

Common raw materials used for making glass consist of the following:

* Sand: finely divided rock and mineral particles, typically high in silica (silicon dioxide: SiO2).
    * Soda ash: sodium carbonate: Na2CO3.
    * Dolomite: calcium magnesium carbonate: CaMg(CO3)2.
    * Limestone: a sedimentary rock composed largely of the mineral calcite (calcium carbonate: CaCO3).
    * Salt cake: sodium sulfate, the sodium salt of sulfuric acid: Na2SO4.
    * Other materials may be used as colorants, refining agents or to adjust the physical and chemical properties of the glass.

The finely ground pumas found in your jeans pocket or a simple drop or scrape on concrete is all it take to scratch a screen **do your homework** before you comment on "silliness" :rolleyes:

25. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

Tried lots of cases and keep going back to the Bumper. I'd prefer to go naked but find it so slippery without a bumper I think I may end up dropping it.