Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I've been told that a 10TB NAS storage can connect to WiFi and my MacBook and other laptops can connect to it over WiFi seamlessly.
I mean, if this setup can work properly then I won't need to go for a 2TB/8TB configured MacBook Pro in the future as I can connect it to all my laptops acting as a central storage.
Is this feasible ? Can I run my development setup on my MacBook with all the code and data residing on the NAS storage ?

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
After searching here I came across Synology a lot.

So will this meet my needs ?

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
If it is just coding then it'll be ok over WiFi. But ideally you want to connect to a NAS with ethernet and better if you can go 10 or even 25 Gbps. The NAS you have linked is on the lower end but just the same config as the bigger ones so you can use it with little fuss and see if it meets your needs.

I would add that if you do just have WiFi and a reasonable internet connection then you may as well run your files of a AWS server or S3 bucket.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I’ve used Wi-Fi nas in two iterations in the past and found it a bit too slow. But it does work as a central persistent storage, like a mini cloud in your home. But for whatever reason too slow to be worth it for serious use

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
If it is just coding then it'll be ok over WiFi. But ideally you want to connect to a NAS with ethernet and better if you can go 10 or even 25 Gbps. The NAS you have linked is on the lower end but just the same config as the bigger ones so you can use it with little fuss and see if it meets your needs.

I would add that if you do just have WiFi and a reasonable internet connection then you may as well run your files of a AWS server or S3 bucket.

I'm on a 100Mbps - so I would like to know how coding on a MBP with code stored on AWS remotely would be close as fast as running locally.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I'm on a 100Mbps - so I would like to know how coding on a MBP with code stored on AWS remotely would be close as fast as running locally.

I have 1000 Mbps internet which is faster than most if not all WiFi. Even 100 Mbps could be faster than your WiFi setup. You certainly won't be getting the full 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps a NAS is capable of from your WiFi connection.

It is easy to test however, you can create a shared folder on one of your machines and try editing off that over your WiFi then do the same with a remote file. With it being a local setup you can also consider a trying a pair of Ethernet dongles on your laptops and edit from one machine that way. These tests will let you know if a NAS will be feasible for you and what sort of changes (if any) you'll need to make.

Reactions: dwig

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

It is easy to test however, you can create a shared folder on one of your machines ...
Good suggestion. If your router has both WiFi and Wired Ethernet then I would suggest that your "test server" (Mac sharing its drives on the network and running no other significant apps during the test) use a wired connection to the router. If you get a NAS it would be best to connect it to your router via wired Ethernet.

You'll find that connections to the NAS will be somewhat slow compared to using locally connected drives. Whether or not it is too slow is a very very very personal decision, hence the suggested test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.