Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I'm guessing it will be released next week, when I'm out of town and stuck with crappy hotel internet, it seems that every time I need to download NAVIGON I'm stuck in a hotel.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...As for the TomTom mount, it's nice but it's too close to the window. Many people will get pulled over for having it.

I've never heard of a law that says a navigation unit must be a cretin distance from the windshield. What state do you live in and how many inches must the unit be from the windshield? Also how is the mount discriminated from the unit since GPS units are all designed differently?

Berek

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I've never heard of a law that says a navigation unit must be a cretin distance from the windshield. What state do you live in and how many inches must the unit be from the windshield? Also how is the mount discriminated from the unit since GPS units are all designed differently?

This is from about.com regarding GPS mounts:

"Windshield Mounting of GPS Legalized in California (But There's a Catch)
Tuesday September 30, 2008

Over the weekend, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 1567, the GPS Windshield Safety Act, which permits the mounting of portable GPS units in specific areas of vehicle windshields. Windshield mounting was previously illegal in California, and those who ignored the law were sometimes ticketed and fined $108 for "obstructed windshield" violations. California drivers take note: the new law does not take effect until January 1, 2009.

Kudos to the state legislature and the governor for lifting this ban and "decriminalizing" GPS. I've always contended that driving is safer with GPS.

The new law, however, has an odd clause that specifies the GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." That means the most common and useful front-and-center GPS windshield mount is still banned.

Also, many standard GPS power cords are not long enough to reach from a power port, all the way to the lower corners of a windshield (not to mention the increased wire clutter created by these corner mounting locations). Also, the passenger side mount is useless to the driver, and the lower left corner mount forces the driver to take eyes off the highway in an awkward way. I guess drivers can only hope that the police will ignore proper center mounts, or issue warnings, rather than tickets.

California was one of only two states (the other is New Jersey) banning windshield GPS mounting."

Too bad I live in CA. I also have a truck and if I personally used the TomTom mount it would actually be too far away.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
"Apple has rejected a software update for the popular "Navigon" GPS app because during testing it pronounced a street name incorrectly which according to Apple would cause the user to be confused. The Navigon developers are working on a fix and the app would be resubmitted soon."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well - that joke has become a rumor around the web. To the point where people were asking on Navigon's Facebook page about the rumor! Navigon finally responded to the following question (at this moment, near the top of the page):

"Is there any truth to the rumor that Apple has rejected the 1.2 update for the iPhone?"

"Dear All. The rumor is NOT true! The Update has not been rejected. It is still in the approval process at Apple."

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/NAVIGON/51924150929?ref=nf

Crazy that Apple is taking so long on the approval process.

--DotComCTO

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Just because the TomTom mount comes with a windshield mount doesn't mean it must go on a windshield. C'mon people, think outside the bun!

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Well - that joke has become a rumor around the web. To the point where people were asking on Navigon's Facebook page about the rumor! Navigon finally responded to the following question (at this moment, near the top of the page):

"Is there any truth to the rumor that Apple has rejected the 1.2 update for the iPhone?"

"Dear All. The rumor is NOT true! The Update has not been rejected. It is still in the approval process at Apple."

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/NAVIGON/51924150929?ref=nf

Crazy that Apple is taking so long on the approval process.

--DotComCTO

ROFL! Come on people, it was pretty obvious it was a joke,haha. If Apple
did reject it for something like that there would be an uproar from the community. 1.2 will probably be released this week (Friday or Saturday) so everybody be patient!

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
ROFL! Come on people, it was pretty obvious it was a joke,haha. If Apple
did reject it for something like that there would be an uproar from the community. 1.2 will probably be released this week (Friday or Saturday) so everybody be patient!

Here was the other question that was more of a direct quote from you (again, on the Navigon Facebook page):

Seen this in a forum, sounds ridiculous but who knows.... ;) "Apple has rejected a software update for the popular "Navigon" GPS app because during testing it pronounced a street name incorrectly which according to Apple would cause the user to be confused. The Navigon developers are working on a fix and the app would be resubmitted soon."

As posted by Lionel Graham (again, near the top of the page right now).

So there ya' go! Fame and fortune await you. Develop some more amusing rumors and see if they get onto the Navigon Facebook page!

--DotComCTO

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Here was the other question that was more of a direct quote from you (again, on the Navigon Facebook page):

Seen this in a forum, sounds ridiculous but who knows.... ;) "Apple has rejected a software update for the popular "Navigon" GPS app because during testing it pronounced a street name incorrectly which according to Apple would cause the user to be confused. The Navigon developers are working on a fix and the app would be resubmitted soon."

As posted by Lionel Graham (again, near the top of the page right now).

So there ya' go! Fame and fortune await you. Develop some more amusing rumors and see if they get onto the Navigon Facebook page!

--DotComCTO

Hahahaha that is ridiculous!!!! Ima post telling them it was a joke
cause they appear to believe it.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Just because the TomTom mount comes with a windshield mount doesn't mean it must go on a windshield. C'mon people, think outside the bun!

I bet it comes with a mounting plate which can be stuck to the dashboard like their hardware unit comes with.

As for the TomTom mount, it's nice but it's too close to the window. Many people will get pulled over for having it.

I think 'some' could get pulled over for illegal mounting. But 'many' would be a gross overstatement.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
j u s t t h r o w i n g t h i s o u t t h e r e : :eek:

"Apple has delayed a software update for the popular "Navigon" GPS app because during testing all 40 full-time reviewers were abducted by aliens, which according to Apple "halted all reviews and required a lot of clean-up". The Navigon developers are patiently waiting their return from Zork"

-submitted by the very handsome MacRumors member, severe. <-- that's a lower-case "s", for print. thanks. :apple:

Writerguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
iPhone 3.1 update & Navigon 1.2

Since Apple released the 3.1 update for the iPhone today, do you think they might hold off on releasing the Navigon update at the same time due to server issues?

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Anyone notice TomTom's updated description in iTunes? They mention their goal is to supply several updates to TomTom in 2009. The updates will be free and they plan to add additional features that people are requesting through iTunes feedback. Finally they speak!

xerikx

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Anyone notice TomTom's updated description in iTunes? They mention their goal is to supply several updates to TomTom in 2009. The updates will be free and they plan to add additional features that people are requesting through iTunes feedback. Finally they speak!

Good thing this thread is about TomTom

Griff110

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
What, UK 1.2?

It's not showing up for me as an update.....

yes UK 1.2 british isles build 50320090825121429

photo.jpg

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
don't know how you've managed that then! as i said even the app store page is still showing 1.1.0 to me! bizarre!

DreamcastDC

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
I keep seeing updates for my others app, but still no Navigon 1.2, come on Apple release it already, man your app approval process sucks.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Ah yup, now showing as 1.2 for british isles... unfortunately I have the european version and that doesn't appear to be out

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
1.2 just showed up for USA!!!

- Text-to-speech voice guidance
- Automatic Day/Night adjustment
- Integrated iPod Control
- Location sharing via Email

Downloading now!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
1.2 just showed up for USA!!!

- Text-to-speech voice guidance
- Automatic Day/Night adjustment
- Integrated iPod Control
- Location sharing via Email

Downloading now!

Bah, not yet for me. I'll check again after the President's address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.