Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshh2o

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
York, Pennsylvania
Now THAT is just confusing, directions and calls at the same time, voices overlaping and the person on the phone also earing the directions.
Hope the other person on the call isn't using the same feature, or it would one call and 2 directions voices :D

also, the ring tone overlaping with the gps voice... :rolleyes:

Hope TomTom does a better job cause this sounds mediocre :mad:

Hopefully that version is very BETA

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
oh stop complaining it is cool.. I mean unless all of you don't know how to drive around the towns you live in.. which is pretty sad... you really won;t have the gps telling you to turn every two seconds like the example.. maybe like every two minutes or not even.. it is just to show that say your on the phone say in the highway using your headphones then guess what the person will not hear it problem solved. plus i am sure there will be a option to shut it off. So i think it is a great feature. stop hating :p

Cool.

Though the number 1 question remains:
Will it also contain updated maps?

I'm noticing more and more that the maps of the Highways in The Netherlands are outdated in the last version available now.

For example: drive the A2, you'll notice many points that have changed over the last 2 years, all fail and Navigon will direct you in the wrong direction. (Ok: the government already puts signs here "GPS OFF", but still).

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Video shows receiving a call and the navigation voice keeps talking (annoying) and he says "isn't that cool?". Well no, it's not - it's annoying. How can you hear your phone conversation when you have Mrs. Robot speaking "turn left ahead".

So turn off the audio. How else is he going to demonstrate this functionality.

I was wondering if the app would remain active and track position in the background. This confirms it.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather the voice on the navigation was silenced and the display showed the navigation app. When speaking to someone, do I really need to see the caller app. If I want to cancel then I'd rather the app had a hang up option on the screen.

I prefer you or anyone else not be driving, talking on a cell phone and STARING at a GPS display on an iPhone at the same time.

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Read a map and know where your going?

Would you like the computer to wipe your arse?

Kleenex please cretins!

nickrile

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
San Francisco
Awesome App

very cool

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-19 at 10.54.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-19 at 10.54.06 PM.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 94

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I prefer you or anyone else not be driving, talking on a cell phone and STARING at a GPS display on an iPhone at the same time.

I glance at the GPS when my sight turns that way to scan the road, or when I am coming up to a junction, having slowed down considerably. As for the talking, I answer about 1 call a year in the car over bluetooth and reject all the others as I agree that driving whilst talking is dangerous and that those that think they have it under control are just accidents waitig to happen. For that 1 call my wife is in the car and she will take over the conversation if I am in a town or any kind of traffic on the motorway. I am completely with you on this and only made my comments re trying to minimise the impact of a call coming through for those that insist on taking calls.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Now THAT is just confusing, directions and calls at the same time, voices overlaping and the person on the phone also earing the directions.

So you're saying that having the voice overlap is bad but getting lost because you don't know the area you're driving in and your GPS isn't working during the phonecall isn't?

mytakeontech said:
I am hearing voice guidance, phone call etc. what's up with that? Can't we just have navigon screen on and then the phone call on the top bar. I know it's not possible with APIs but Apple has to provide some better way to implement this.

You really want to be staring at a GPS screen while talking on the phone? What part of your attention is actually going to be on the road at this point? Not much, I'm betting.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
New Maps would be very welcome yes, just as the Backgrounding of the cal instead of the nav app.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Purely judging by the above comment it seems to be you never ever have driven a car nor have been in the drivers seat. Anyone who have sat in the drivers seat will notice the dials behind the steering wheel. Everyone with a drivers license knows he HAS to glance (not stare!!) at those dials. Everyone who has been fined for speeding knows he HAS to glance at those dials. Everyone who has been out of fuel knows he HAS to glance at those dials. Why? Because glancing at those dials will tell you how fast you're going, how much fuel is left, if the engine is fine, if the indicator is on (and which one), etc. etc. You also glance at whatever is in the mirrors and beside you to get a good picture of what is happening around you.

When you're not familiar with the area it's very easy to get lost. In such cases you're paying much much more attention to signs and things like that to find where you are and where you're going. You're not paying attention to traffic and what's around you. Some idiots even grab a map and take a look at that or simply stop in the middle of the road (which can cause accidents). Using a GPS that tells you what to do and gives you a map you can GLANCE (NOT!!! stare) at. This makes it a lot safer because you as a driver can focus on driving instead of driving AND navigating. The problem is that some people don't know how to use a GPS whilst driving. This is the one of the reasons why drive instructors in the Netherlands teach their students how to drive using a GPS. The most important thing is knowing that it's only an addition to road signs and things like that. It means you listen and glance at the screen and decide what to do, you don't do what the thing tells you to do. Some people literally do what it says and end up in a ditch or some garden.

I actually prefer people using GPS instead of guessing or using a map. Those other two situations are far more dangerous than the GPS. Most people actually can't navigate which is why using anything but a GPS is more dangerous.

Btw, in the Netherlands it used to be illegal to talk on the phone while driving without using a handsfree set. In reality this proved to be difficult to prove as people claimed they were only holding the phone. They simply changed the law and banned holding a phone. However, eating or drinking something while driving is equally dangerous. If you did this and caused an accident they will sentence you. Talking on the phone or to someone else in the car is no different and it can potentially be dangerous if the driver is paying more attention to the conversation than to driving the car. A lot of people seem to forget that and the fact that eating an apple while driving is dangerous as well.

chaosbringer

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Lisboa, Portugal
So you're saying that having the voice overlap is bad but getting lost because you don't know the area you're driving in and your GPS isn't working during the phonecall isn't?
No, getting lost would be bad too :D, maybe there should be a special user defined ringtone for incoming calls during gps use (or any other sound usage like music), something like "incoming call" and then just beeps until it's answered or caller gives up.
Has for overlaping voices GPS/calls... tone down gps or call? or increase gps sound volume during a call and then decrease at the end of a call?
I think playing around with the volume of each application would work, but only doing a field test could I see if I'm wrong or not :)

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
TomTom has an update for their application specifically for iOS 4. They did the opposite of what Navigon did: they don't have someone telling you what to do but they simply show you what to do so you get to choose what to focus on and when. This also means there is no limitation in iOS 4 (great news!), it simply is Navigon's choice to do it the way as demonstrated.

Arnoud

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Navigon already tweeted that it will be up to the user (via a setting) if the phone screen will be shown or the navigation will be shown after a call has been received. They will also have map updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.