NBC Cancels Law & Order

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
No worries USA network still has new episodes of its spinoffs.
Criminal Intent just plain sucks, IMO. SVU will still be on NBC next year, but there are rumors that Chris Meloni will leave the show after next year, which would suck. Also the writing for SVU has been really bad lately. Maybe the writing will improve now. I'm just really pissed. They could have let it live one more year so it could become the longest running drama on TV, and take the title away from Gunsmoke (which is a horrible show).

I honestly don't understand why the NBC execs are baffled by their low ratings. L&O is an institution, with many viewers; it was one of the last reasons that I ever have my TV on NBC. I remember I saw a taping of L&O in NYC once, and I was actually in an episode (I was walking by a "murder scene").

Don

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
After Lenny died, I didn't watch (that and Mccoy was seen rarely when he became DA or whatever). I vastly prefer SVU.

That said, it's sad to see an amazing show get cancelled.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
You have got to be kidding me.............
its going to be completly different. Instead of the mean streets of NYC its going to be the mean streets of compton :rolleyes:
Sucks for all the production people... maybe they will move to LA on the new show.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
NBC confirmed Friday that it had canceled the original “Law & Order,” bringing an end to a 20-year-old television drama that jump-started an era of television production in New York City.

“Law & Order” was on the verge of becoming the longest-running drama in prime-time television history, surpassing “Gunsmoke.” But it appears that the “Law & Order” executive producer, Dick Wolf, has settled for a tie. The final episode of the series will be shown on May 24, NBC confirmed in a news release Friday.

Actors and producers on the program were told Thursday that the series had been canceled, but NBC and Mr. Wolf remained in conversations through Thursday evening, apparently in an attempt to make a deal for a 21st season.

NBC said Friday that it had ordered a new series, “Law & Order: Los Angeles,” or “LOLA” for short. It also renewed “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” for another season. The network plans to officially announce its 2010-11 schedule on Monday in New York.

NBC is also quietly exploring the possibility with Mr. Wolf that the show may be able to produce some kind of movie or extended retrospective next season to give the series a proper send-off.

Jeff Gaspin, the chairman of NBC Universal Television Entertainment, said in a statement: “The full measure of the collective contributions made by Dick Wolf and his ‘Law & Order’ franchise over the last two decades to the success of NBC and Universal Media Studios cannot be overstated. The legacy of his original ‘Law & Order’ series will continue to make an impact like no other series before.”
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/nbc-cancels-law-order/?src=me

Chuck has also been renewed for a 4th season.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I don't know why they would stop at 20, tying the record. I would have thought they would have at least put a record breaking season out.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've watched all of the L&O series on and off for ~15 years, but I'd say that I've really been avoiding all things L&O for the past 2-3 years.

I really just got sick of the show. I was too used to the timing of each episode, and knew when things would start to be revealed and unravel. The formula just became too obvious to me.

It was an awesome show, and it had a great run, but IMO, it was time to let it go.

And yeah, the Jerry Orbach years were the best.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's amazing that it's run for 20 seasons. LOLA? I was hoping that was a joke because it's not going to be the same show if it's set in L.A. Too bad it's not LOAZ. Just to see them ask perps to see their papers :D

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
My wife won't be happy to hear that. Though now she has a Ghost Whisperer show to occupy her as well, so maybe it won't be as bad of a hit.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Rumors are that NBC might be planning a movie finally send off next season.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wow! I'm beginning to think there is a god. First Flash Forward, then this. Two very good decisions in one week. This gives me hope that maybe people are beginning to demand better shows.

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
Wow! I'm beginning to think there is a god. First Flash Forward, then this. Two very good decisions in one week. This gives me hope that maybe people are beginning to demand better shows.
You're half right.

Flash Forward deserved to die, but L&O is a great show that never should've been cancelled. It was the only crime drama that actually stuck to some form of reality, and the only reason why I watched NBC. I'll remain somewhat happy as long as the next season isn't SVU's last.

I have no hope for L&OLA.