NBC to Stream Super Bowl XLIX on iPad and Mac for Free, No Cable Subscription Required

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NBCUniversal today announced that it's debuting a new "Super Stream Sunday" promotion, which will allow all U.S.-based users to watch 11 continuous hours of NBC content through the NBCSports.com website and through the NBC Sports Live Extra app on the iPad/iPod touch without the need for a cable subscription.

Super Stream Sunday, which starts on February 1 at noon Eastern Time, will include Super Bowl XLIX, the Super Bowl XLIX halftime show with Katy Perry, and the Super Bowl XLIX pre- and post-game shows. It will also feature an episode of The Blacklist.

Accessing NBC content through NBC.com or within the NBC Sports Live Extra app typically requires a cable subscription and authentication through logging into the service, but for the Super Stream Sunday period, no logins will be required, allowing everyone to watch the Super Bowl for free. NBC is running the promotion in an effort to make people aware of its TV Everywhere offerings, which offer television content on a range of devices with a cable subscription.

While iPad and iPod touch users can watch the Super Bowl using the NBC Sports Live Extra app, NBC is not able to stream content to the iPhone as it does not have NFL live-streaming rights for smartphones due to an exclusive deal the NFL has with Verizon Wireless.

Verizon Wireless and the NFL plan to introduce a Super Bowl Stadium app that will offer "exclusive in-stadium video content" that includes commercials and replays shown from four camera angles. Users not in the United States or Mexico can access the Super Bowl through the NFL's Game Rewind service.

NBC Sports Live Extra can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NBC to Stream Super Bowl XLIX on iPad and Mac for Free, No Cable Subscription Required

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I gotta see this, just for the commercials filmed from FOUR different camera angles!

/englishkindasux

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
talk about a step in the right direction. I, like many others, only have cable b.c of sports.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
When those 11 hours are over, and people have to enter a log in for a cable subscription, people will trash NBC. Somehow I think this is going to have some unintended consequences for them. The only people who are really going to make use of this are people who don't subscribe to cable.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Lousy App

NBC will just end up reminding us how lousy their nbc app is... requiring a cable subscription to access most available episodes,

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
airplay

wish it were avail as an Apple TV option as well. good move for them promotion wise, hope their streaming services can handle the extra load...
Airplay works on the NBC sports app so you will be able to push it to your Apple TV

sfpw

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
Real commercials?

As someone who watches 50% for the game and 50% for the commercials, does anyone know if this will have the "actual" commercials? Last year I streamed and they just played the same 6 commercials over and over again. It was clearly not the same commercials as seen on cable.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Apple TV?

Glad to see this, but would love to see it on Apple TV.

I cut the cable (and TV antenna) many years ago and haven't really missed it, except for semi-regular network tv highlights like the Superbowl, Presidential State of the Union, etc.

RenoDavid

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007
Very interesting. With the Verizon deal you have to have to be a Verizon customer and they charged me $5 per month to watch the NFL games on my little iPhone 4s. I figured it was a pretty good deal since I cut the cable early last year. And they lock it down so you can only watch it on your phone. It won't work with an iPad or Touch and you can't AirPlay it to your TV either.

I'm assuming that we won't be able to AirPlay this NBC promotion to our big TVs either, but still, pretty cool. Won't matter to me, because I was planning on going to a Super Bowl party at the home of some relatives.��

johnfrombeyond

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
targeting the wrong customers

When those 11 hours are over, and people have to enter a log in for a cable subscription, people will trash NBC. Somehow I think this is going to have some unintended consequences for them. The only people who are really going to make use of this are people who don't subscribe to cable.
Agreed. If you have cable, odds are you will watch the Super Bowl on TV. At the very least, you are not a potential new customer. If you don't have cable, I really don't think the ability to watch TV on your iPad will make you want to pay for cable. It will just make you want to watch TV on your iPad without cable.

An unexpected consequence may be that NBC realizes how many cord cutters are out there begging for a non-cable solution.

----------

A better experiment: see how many people would be willing to pay 99 cents to watch this live coverage. Presumably many of the cord cutters out there might want to do this. Like they say on Facebook, THE ANSWER MAY SURPRISE YOU!

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Agreed. If you have cable, odds are you will watch the Super Bowl on TV. At the very least, you are not a potential new customer. If you don't have cable, I really don't think the ability to watch TV on your iPad will make you want to pay for cable. It will just make you want to watch TV on your iPad without cable.

An unexpected consequence may be that NBC realizes how many cord cutters are out there begging for a non-cable solution.
^^^This. You nailed it. That's what I had in mind.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
"get our money" ... I guess I missed the part where they charged money for this at all.
All advertising is ultimately paid for by all consumers through increased product costs, thereby everyone ultimately getting socked for it. Every purchase you make for an advertised product contains an upcharge to cover the ads.

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I'll be watching the SuperBowl the good ol' fashioned way: OTA in HD on my TV. Totally free, with no network buffer timeouts.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
All advertising is ultimately paid for by all consumers through increased product costs, thereby everyone ultimately getting socked for it. Every purchase you make for an advertised product contains an upcharge to cover the ads.

Does a solution exist in which you wouldn't complain?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.