NCAA March Madness 2012 & Bracket Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Mar 5, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's the best time of year for a sports fan, conference playoffs are starting leading up to the big dance. Kentucky appears to be the front runner to win the title this year but don't count out the likes of Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Ohio State, and last years Champion UConn who could make a run like they did last year.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm with you....Championship Week is a ton of fun to watch...and the first 2 days of March Madness may be the best 48 hours of the year in sports.

As a Seton Hall grad - I'm hoping for a good run this week. We have been thisclose all season to wrapping up a bid - but every big win has been followed by 2 or 3 crappy losses. It would be nice to finally see my team on the bracket.

3. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I will be very very very happy if New Mexico can make it to the sweet 16. Never before in school history.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

My Gonzaga bulldogs lost a tough game tonight - will hurt their seeding.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

My UNCW Seahawks (CAA plug, put Drexel in!) have already been eliminated, and barring a miracle, my Terps won't make it either. So, I'm hopping on the Buckeyes bandwagon. If they play like they just did in the secondhand against MSU, they're gonna haves good shot. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

:)

6. ucfgrad93, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Several years ago, I took the day off from work and went to the 1st and 2nd rounds and it was tremendous fun.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The win and advance, lose and go home really brings out the heart in the players. The first round games almost always have a David that takes out a Goliath. And Kentucky's dominance can be a liability (think 1991 UNLV). I love college basketball and was lucky enough to attend a competitive school and see some great games live. If anyone lives near a city with regional games, it's worth it to go and try to get tickets.

Go Duke!

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've never attended any of the 1st 2 rounds in person - but I have taken days off to spend the day watching. :D I did, however, get to attend the Final 4 last year here in Houston. And, of course, I had to see UConn win. :(

As far as rooting interests, in the case that Seton Hall doesn't make it all the way (or even in the Tourney) I jump on the Kentucky bandwagon...When they win the whole thing, the Yankees have a knack for winning the World Series...

1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998: The only year the Yanks didn't comply was 1948....anyway, that's enough to make me a Wildcat fan for a few weeks.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

UConn is starting to heat up, can they win 5 in a row again?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm surprised that 3 of the #1 seeds did not win their conference tournaments.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I wonder how rare that is? I can't think of a year that's happened recently, but I'm no Did You Know statistician.

Drexel got screwed. 2 teams from the CAA have gone to the Final Four in te last few years and we can't get 2 teams in this year? Drexel won 19 in a row this year! VCU was an at large bid last year, let's see if Iona makes it to the 3rd weekend. :rolleyes:

If MR is doing a bracket contest this year, someone let me know. Thanks!

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The selection committee has historically put more weight on the regular season than conference tournaments.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I was just about to ask what the interest is (I know we always have interest) to start up a new bracket challenge. We have used the CBSsports.com system the past few years.

----------

I am about to setup this years tourney, info to follow.

----------

Ok the challenge is set up
    http://macforum2012.mayhem.cbssports.com/e
    The Password is rumors2012

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Was hoping this would come together. Showed up just for this!
    Go 'Heels!

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Rules for this year if no objections, First round only. If you pick a lower seed and they win you get extra points. So pick a 10 seed and they win you get 11 points. Pick a 15 get 16 points.

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Works for me. My brackets are in. Time to prove I know nothing.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm in! Thanks for setting this up MacNut. :D

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What is the ID?

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think you have to set up a user id/password for yourself. Then go into the bracket challenge and enter the group password.

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You should just need the password when you click the link.

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

No problem, I was thinking of this earlier today.

22. malman89 macrumors 68000

As a biased Michigan State fan, I think the West bracket 1-4 or 1-5 is stacked more so than other brackets (**as long as there are no upsets and we know how that goes). I would have to say the weakest 1-5 looks to be the Midwest.

Midwest:
    UNC has proven to be beatable, but also deadly with talent. Kansas is solid. Georgetown is good, but not necessarily been elite. Also recent tourney fails. Michigan got whooped hard by OSU in the B1G. All their best wins came at home. Temple? Temple.

East: Syracuse is legit, but hasn't done much come tourney time lately. Ohio State lacks depth, but has outstanding defense and first 6. Florida State probably over-ranked at 3, but can be deadly (see: UNC, parts 1 and 2). I think Bo and Wisconsin aren't suited for postseason play, see: past few years since Seth Curry/Davidson when they actually advanced some. Vandy: potential sleeper, could make some noise.

South: Kentucky - stacked, young. Duke - peaks and valleys, can never count them out though. Baylor - still hasn't gotten over their soft/overrated label imo. Indiana - also like Michigan, only won big at home. Wichita State - sleeper/shocker of the area, but will run into Kentucky, ouch.

West: MSU - not quite as talented, but reasonably deep, solid leadership, Izzo. Mizzou - probably hardest team to match up against, chip on their shoulder (8th ranked team, seriously?). Marquette - quiet (nationally at least) reception to a great Big East season. Louisville - bi-polar team, don't know what you're going to get, but can grind out games. New Mexico - solid defensively, experienced, upstart team.

Either way, looking forward to actually sitting down and focusing on my bracket submissions later.

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Looks like we all agree that the TarHeels will win the Madness.