Nearly 4,000 iPhones Disappear in $3 Million Heist

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Belgian newspaper De Standaard reports [Google translation] on the theft over the weekend of nearly 4,000 iPhones from a Willebroek warehouse of CEVA Logistics, a distribution company. The iPhones had been destined to be delivered to Mobistar, the sole official iPhone wireless provider in the country, and have been valued at approximately 2 million Euro or nearly $3 million.

Reports suggest that the burglary may have been an inside job, as the thieves used a fire ladder to access the roof of the large warehouse, where they cut a hole directly over where the iPhones, which had just been delivered to the building, were being stored. Mobistar notes that the devices have been blocked from the company's network, urging customers to be wary of purchasing iPhones through unauthorized sources.
    Local police have launched an investigation into the burglary, but appear to have little information to go on at the moment.

Article Link: Nearly 4,000 iPhones Disappear in $3 Million Heist

2. clmason macrumors regular

MacHeist!

I bet it was those MacHeist guys! They're going to be giving them away during MacHeist 4! :)

3. swissmann macrumors 6502a

swissmann

They've been blocked from the network but can they be jailbroken and unlocked to be used on any network? If so they can still be sold for a pretty penny.

Hope those thieves get caught. I don't agree with stealing.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Can I buy Applecare with one of those phones? It sounds like an inside job and it is a matter of time till the police figure out who was involved.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Can't tell if you're being serious. But applecare is linked to the product's serial number. So it'd be sure way of being caught with stolen goods.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I bet they're trying to create an iPhone supercomputer.

;)

7. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

those people likely to buy from a secondary source, jailbreak, and unlock, are probably more likely to read these forums or others like it too.

There should be more coverage of the theft, and a system whereby you can check your serial with those that were stolen, offering information from where you bought the units etc.

I doubt you can blame someone for purchasing the stolen unit if it's from ebay or something and they are unaware.

8. punitnaker macrumors regular

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They could be blocked from apples end if they wanted too

10. griz macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't a swapped out SIM just bypass any issue that a block imposes? Sure it's a first line of defense of the manufacturer, but these are thieves, not legitimate users with legitimate customers. These phones will likely make it into the drug trade where they will be used in whatever manner they deem necessary and then tossed.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

12. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

13. Kobekes macrumors member

no sim-lock

there is no sim-lock on the Belgian iPhones, which makes them popular in surrounding countries.

I don't think Apple will block the IMEI numbers, they still receive their payment by the insurance company, so they don't care.

14. segers909 macrumors regular

They do block the IMEI number. I repair iPhone's (don't work for Apple tough), and i often get people who have no reception on 2 of the 3 belgium networks. There are lists with imei numbers of stolen mobile phones which are passed between carriers, but some carriers (like proximus in belgium) don't accept these lists. Result; only a signal on that carrier.

On the iPhone 2G, using Ziphone, it was possible to change the imei number of the device. This feature is no longer available in newer "jailbreak tools" because it's (very) illegal, but a decent hacker should be able to change it without to much trouble.

15. zjrhens macrumors newbie

How ironic

How ironic that all of those phones are equipped with GPS yet can't be found

16. Man4allsea macrumors newbie

For the big guys they do it

How come when my Iphone gets stolen, ATT doesn't permanently disable it? Or help me track the thief? it would be easy, they could hard wire a chip with the GPS, and unauthorized logins would trace back to where the user was.

17. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

so they let you buy another one :(

18. alec macrumors regular

It was those damn nuclear sprinters... they always get past my ice towers.

19. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I was waiting for a Belgian iPhone, so this is gonna be a longer wait... :S

20. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

You will

Be able to get a Verizon iPhone this weekend...:D

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

That would be so cool if they found the iPhones using GPS.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Making money off the stolen phones will be easier than fencing a stolen Rembrandt painting that everyone is looking for, but that's a lot of phones to sell in a dark alley. How will they be distributed and sold? Will they try to trick purchasers into thinking they are buying authorized iPhones?

23. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

24. Thex1138 macrumors 6502a

Thex1138

Names...

Funny how the carriers name, I can't help but see the work 'Mobster' lol.
    :rolleyes:

25. lamadude macrumors 6502

Ooo in Belgium you say? I'll keep an eye out for guys selling cheap iPhones on the streets now :p