Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nearly Half of Apple Music Users in U.S. No Longer Using Free Trial

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new study by consumer research firm MusicWatch finds that 77% of iOS users in the United States are aware of Apple Music, with 11% currently using the streaming music service. Additionally, among those that signed up for Apple Music's three-month trial, 48% said they are no longer using the service and 61% reported they have turned off the auto-renewal subscription option in iTunes.

Apple Music has attracted more users from Spotify Premium than ad-supported services such as Spotify Free and Pandora:
More than one quarter (28 percent) of Spotify Premium customers also use Apple Music, but the draw from popular ad-supported services is more modest: Just 11 percent of Spotify Free users, and 6 percent of Pandora users, now use Apple's offering.

"In terms of benchmarking Apple Music, 40 percent of iOS users are buying digital downloads from iTunes, suggesting trial of Apple Music could be higher," said Russ Crupnick, managing partner of MusicWatch. "That's the disadvantage of not being the first mover in a market where very good services currently exist."
While nearly half of iOS users that have tried Apple Music are no longer using the service, with some maintaining their loyalty to Spotify, Pandora and other rivals, the study finds that 64% of current users said they were "extremely" or "very likely" to pay for an Apple Music subscription following the free trial period, which concludes on September 30 for those that signed up on launch day.

The research study also claims that 30% of Apple Music users listen to Beats 1, while 27% use Apple Music Connect. MusicWatch's data is based on an August 2015 survey of 5,000 U.S. consumers age 13 and older, and the results were weighted to the U.S. population. The research firm has been cited by publications such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Fortune.

Update: In a statement to The Verge regarding this survey, Apple said 79 percent of people who signed up for the Apple Music free trial are still using Apple Music.

Article Link: Nearly Half of Apple Music Users in U.S. No Longer Using Free Trial

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
They need to fix all the broken crap that borks users libraries and mismatches music and artwork. It's pretty sad that 60% of the people who tried don't want to renew. I am in that camp, because AM trainwrecked my music files.

Comment

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Count me in the "still using it and haven't turned off autorenewal" camp. I like what Apple Music is offering me; though, to be fair, I never really used Spotify or other services, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing from them. Still, I've found Apple Music a great service for not only listening to my own music but finding new and interesting stuff that I probably would have ignored in the album-buying days.

Comment

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Same here. I was very much looking forward to AM. Tried it out for a week. Didn't really like the experience.
As much as I would have liked to keep it, I'm very unsure if I'll renew.
The only things that might convince me to keep it are the 15€ family plan and my hopes that the overall experience and usability will improve rather sooner than later...

Comment

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
I turned it off after a few days of trying to use it. For some reason I thought the interface would be like the iTunes music store but it wasn't. I couldn't find good music to listen to that I didn't already own. The "suggestions" option was terrible and I felt like I was being force fed music I didn't want to listen to. Also, they really screwed up the interface for music in iOS really badly. So don't want to support a crappy interface.

It was hilarious because I would go to the itunes store and look around then try to find that song/album in Apple music. That is pretty useless on an Apple music interface design perspective.

Comment

Luis Mazza

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Most people listen to whatever garbage they're used to. So they actually don't care about music, but they heard about the "free" Apple Music.
Not a big deal. Taylor Swift will be ok, don't worry.

Reactions: AleXXXa and tonyr6
Comment

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Spotify sucks big time and I cannot wait for spotify to be hacked and put out of business.

I don't trust their CEO and don't trust my credit card with them. Besides, if it weren't for the ad infested free option, spotify wouldn't be in business.

I rather people use Google music or MS Groove than spotify.

Comment

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I like it. needs work (I have been confused by the UI too) but it is impressive. Perhaps if they separated radio and kept apple music and itunes (since they both play offline and stream your content).

I find it strange that on iOS my 'recently purchased' playlist my movies and tv shows show up :-|

Comment

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
access to albums that I've wanted to listen to but never got around to buying is pretty sweet!
Completely agree. I'm happily using the service like crazy and have listened to at least 10 albums or more I never bought, and seem to find a new one each day. I think the interface is great, they're trying to cram an incredible amount of information on a 5 inch screen so... and I'm sure it will keep evolving for the better. I've discovered new artists and the "For You" is pretty good.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.