Need a good laugh?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rwdds, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rwdds macrumors member

Ok this is a classic f##k-up. I can't believe what I just did. I'm setting up my brand spankin' new MP 2.26 Octa monster.... I have been waiting for 2 weeks, drooling and I got it today at work. Bust out of the office early, get home this afternoon, and begin the setup- only to find I need a Firewire 800 cable to load all my crap from the old, venerable G5 dual. Thought I had one (I've got 15 FW 400 cables in every iteration!) but noooooo! Now I'm a little hot, cause I know I read that it only has 800 ports, but I missed it.

Off to the closest Apple store because absolutely no retail business in the surrounding 50 miles carries these! The idiot at Best Buy says "you're a Mac guy right?" ... I swear I hear him chuckle under his breath. Finally, at the Apple store and I'm so freakin excited now that I go bonkers and buy a second Radeon card (that's my ultimate plan, to have dual 23" Cinema's side by side) in addition to the FW cables. I'm out, I get home and I go.

Now the G5 is hooked up in transfer mode and it's churning for over 50 minutes and I look up and I've got less than 3 minutes left! Now picture the G5 placed on my physical desktop, the new MP under the desk is devouring all these new bits and bytes and wait.... my iPhone goes off, there's a new email, and I have, like 2 minutes before I can blow the doors off my entire previous computing experience.

I reach out for the iphone and of course... accidentally bump the power cord on the back of the G5. Power cuts off!!!! The MacPro's 8 cores stutter and vomits! Transfer error, go back and start over.... Tried transferring just the last part of the set-up, my applications folder but no, this doesn't seem to want to fly.

Right now, reloading from the installation discs and will probably be up till 2am...crap! Go ahead have agood laugh at my idiocy, I deserve it.

2. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I'm not laughing. I'm glowing with happiness as I imagine how you are going to feel once you start playing with your new beast :D

3. Dreamail macrumors 6502

It's actually kinda sweet.

You're so happy and excited about your new Mac Pro that you're just a little over eager / clumsy.
    Happens to all of us. And is totally understandable in your situation.

Don't know how you transferred the files, but a plain HD copy via target disk mode should have copied all files up to the interruption just fine.
    Or in other words you should be able to pick up where you stopped.
    But then you cannot copy applications just like that anyway as these usually have files all over the place. (And you can't just copy the whole System folder over.)

Enjoy your new Mac Pro!
    These really are 'beasts'.
    Fast, smooth and very powerful.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Dude, I'm sorry... I can only imagine how frustrating that must be. At least you didn't seriously break anything because that could have been worse. Think about if your story started with a coke that ended up drenching your new MP, that would really suck.

5. rwdds thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your responses and support. Right now I'm just smiling, shaking my head and looking forward to it all.

I tried going back in to evaluate the files and system status, but it (the new MP) seemed to hang on that transfer screen. Whatever. 16 more minutes now... I'm going to leave the room now and have a beer.

6. TheVendor macrumors member

Let's keep that beer in the other room, shall we? ;)

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Hey i might have prevented a major tragedy!!

8. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Think of it as a good thing. When you're finally up and running it will feel twice as good!

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Did you order your machine with a 4870 in it already or with the stock GT120? I believe you need some additional power cable hardware to get 2 4870s installed properly. A 4870 and a GT120 will work together no problem though.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Why did you buy a second video card? Just to run 2 x 23" monitors?

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol serves you right:p Haha!! Just kidding, Im a bit jealous of you, and everyone else that has a new mac pro. Oh well, After High School ill buy one. Just sucks that I have to wait an extra year. Till than its just me and my trusty uMB.

12. vermintrex macrumors newbie

Dude, up to there I thought we we're twins :D

Sorry bout the curveball life threw ya but hey, it's always a little more special with some strife thrown in.

Have fun with it

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have had similar experiences where I screw up the start of a something good just because I was impatient at the beginning. So, I can laugh, but I also identify myself with you in that situation.

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ha! now if you have just removed that G5 hard drive and stuck in your brand new Mac Pro, you only would have sat there for 15 minutes transferring stuff and would have had to worry about disconnecting the power :D

Considering that the internal SATA connection is faster than FW800 ;)

Also why buy another video card just to run 2x 23" monitors? :confused:

Funny story though, I could see myself in the same situation.

15. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i think this is why apple say "This may take some time, go get a coffe and come back" hehehe!

hard luck.

16. rwdds thread starter macrumors member

You're absolutely right, I could have done this but felt I needed to transfer all the Keychains, User files etc.

17. 3587 macrumors 6502a

What's even more funny is that he probably has never been this giddy about a human before... i.e., girlfriend :) Don't worry, me neither! :O

Good for you!

18. rwdds thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I get this feeling EVERY time I set-up a new mac... and I don't care to tell you how much money I have blown on Macs, drives, cards, cables and every others cool "doo-dad" since '84. But I still get that feeling....

(in the background, Journey is playing "Don't stop... believing...")

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Newer MP's don't have built-in videocards that can support dual DVI, instead they have the crappy Apple only, miniDisplayPort and one DVI. Thus need two cards.

Plus the power connectors on the default card is weird.
    Seconds card additional power could be taken from molex connectors if the new MP still has them.

20. TennisandMusic

Why can't you just get an adapater for the minidisplayport? I'm on dual monitors with my mac mini and 9400m. There is no way the mac pro with dedicated video card wouldn't work the same way.

21. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Boy is that a kick in the nuts if you can't drive 2 displays off one card, even though there are 2 outputs..... Really?

I can see the need for 2 cards to drive two LED ACDs.

He wants dual 23" displays. Both are DVI so he'll need a MDP > DVI adapter then.

22. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I've done so many dumb things over time, I can't remember them all.
    One time I was defraging my hard drive and I abruptly stopped it. Of course my hard drive was gone. DiskWarrior saved me.
    One time in the nineties I was using Norton Utilities. Instead of helping, it completely destroyed the data on my hard drive.
    Another time in the early ninties, I was working on a Photoshop image. I worked on it for 1 1/2 hours. I didn't save it at any time and of course the computer crashed. 1 1/2 hours of work for nothing.
    Last but not least, I dropped my PowerBook unto the concrete floor. No, I did not get away with it.

23. brentsg macrumors 68030

Not to get the thread too far off... but just last week I was doing a partition resize so I could install another OS... Rather than just shrink the partition, I accidentally shrunk it... AND shifted the entire existing partition to the "left" 1KB. Ugh, now that took forever...

24. rwdds thread starter macrumors member

The final word from a tech support supervisor at Apple, was that YES the Radeon HD 4870 will permit two 23" Apple Cinema Displays (or really any combination of DVI or MiniDisplay equipped monitors) in a dual display mode. In my case, a MiniDisplay Port to DVI adaptor ($29) will permit the second display to be connected.

25. brentsg macrumors 68030

Sooo.... how is it??? :D