Need advice. Apple offered me a refund. Take it or try again?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoegal, Apr 1, 2011.

1. shoegal macrumors member

OK. So I've been having some BAD LUCK with my Mac Book Pro purchase.

First one had a defective hard drive. DOA. Second one had a defective super drive. They tried to replace it but the new super drive had the same issues AND the mac repair scratched up my MBP. :mad:
    Third one: very noisy hard drive. Mac repair replaced the hard drive but this one is worse. There's a whooshing sound and a grinding noise. Also when I tried to verify and repair the disk at disk utility it said it couldn't repair the disk. And then my battery started acting up. Percentage drops to 70% after 15 minutes of light web browsing.
    Third issue: backlight is not working. I have to adjust it myself every time I move from a dark to light environment.
    Fourth issue: mbp is overheating because fans don't kick in.

Sigh...

So I spoke with customer service and she was wonderful. Even offered me a refund. I have this weekend to make a decision. Do I want a refund or not? I really don't want to have to wait another week for them to take this one to the repair but I also really wanted a MBP.
    Should I ask for another replacement or is that too much? Or a refund?
    Decisions, decisions. :confused:

2. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you still want a MBP, ask for a replacement. If you don't want it anymore, ask for a refund.

Idk why you're asking us - this is 100% your decision.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm inclined to believe some Mac owners have a kryptonite substance that fires every computer they get. Either that or every defective Mac does to about 100 people around the globe.

OP, your experience is EXCEPTIONAL. If you want a MacBook Pro, keep trying until you get a good one. If you have had it with this particular model, take your money and run.

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

How new or old is this Macbook Pro we're talking about here? A 2011? Or an older one? If it's an older one, what's the refund amount for? If it's a 2011, and it's what you want, then get a NEW replacement.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

My question is are you close to an Apple Store? If so, I would get the refund, and check out in person the one I am going to buy to make sure there are no problems. Or even another Apple retailer would be good. Just make sure it is working fine before paying/leaving.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Chain of bad products tend to go to those who cannot provide any evidence.

7. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

It's a 2011. In theory I really like it :)

It appears to be some kind of curse. The woman from customer service was joking that other Mac users should be thanking me because by chance they should be getting the non-defective macs now LOL.

Apple has been great throughout this whole ordeal. It has to be said. Trying to find solutions etc.

I was just wondering if it's too much to ask for another replacement. I'll be costing Apple money, you know. On the other hand, I'm costing Apple money if they give a refund too.
    I just don't want to have to turn this one in and then wait 1-2 weeks(we don't have Apple Stores here, no genius bar) and HOPE it's going to be OK. I need it for work...

8. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Well in my case, I have provided evidence. And they've diagnosed it...

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Considering that Apple has the highest customer satisfaction in the computer industry, such person will likely to suffer an even worst fate elsewhere.

Right. What about photos of the repair bills?

I could easily say: Dell / HP keep giving me lemons, my evidence is my word. :rolleyes:

10. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Either way it is going to cost them the same amount... They either give you your money back, and take the laptop back, or they give you a new one and take the old one back.

I would think theyd be more inclined to do the latter, because if they refund you, they risk losing your business for good, vs. a replacement, they've still got you on the hook with their products.

Either way, it costs then the same - and even if they dont want to replace it, if you wanted to you could just take the refunded money and purchase another one.

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go rehab my thumbs from typing this all out on my iPhone.

11. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Repair bills? Why should I have repair bills? I'm under warranty....

Anyways, I'm not bashing Apple at all. This has been my experience. I'm not looking for verification, just a piece of advice.

12. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

lol

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You need to decide what you want. If you want another MBP, then get one.

14. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone,
    I guess i might stick with Mac. I mean how much bad luck can u get?

Also I don't want to get any other brand! I love apple.

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

OP has had bad luck with multiple defects, but has had a positive experience dealing with Apple.

The amount of defects one finds in a product isn't always going to be analogous with customer satisfaction. I'd much rather purchase a product from a company who takes care of the defects that occur (whether they are frequent or not) instead of purchasing from someone who's products may have less defects but fight me every step of the way in getting them repaired.

I had a 2007 MBP that had (slight exaageration ahead) almost every component fail over the course of my AppleCare warranty. But Apple was always super friendly and helpful in getting it fixed. That's why I still buy Apple products.

16. themac23 macrumors regular

Wow, guy. Are you serious? What reason do you have for basically calling this guy a liar? How is complaining about defects that don't exist advantageous to him?

17. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Indeed. I WISH those defects didn't excist. Because then I'd have a functioning mbp! :)

18. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

There you go, you love Apple. I say give it another shot... chances are miniscule that you'll have the same problems.

19. ladnaania macrumors newbie

I had to return my MacBook Pro last week because of the grinding when I put a CD in. I first noticed the problem with a clicking sound everytime I moved my computer, did yours do the same? Well I just go my new computer today and still ahve the clicking sound almost everytime I move my computer (with no CD in the drive). I put a CD in and don't have the grinding and it sounds fine. I a bit hesitant now because I am afraid my computer is going to give me problems after my 14 day return period ends...please fill me in I'd really appreciate it!

20. propower macrumors 6502a

Some sort of concession from Apple for this much trouble seems warranted. If I were you I would ask politely for them to comp applecare........ with the string of problems it is quite reasonable.....

YMMV,
    -Lee

21. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

get new one,ive had no probs at all ,had this powerhouse for almost 3 weeks,and its great-X fingers,just test it instore before u leave is all,if u can etc.

22. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

The clicking sound when you move it is normal I've been told. The sudden motion sensor. You can look it up on apple support. If you're still concerned however and you live near an apple store, take it to the Genius bar and ask them to check it out! Good luck!

23. X2468 macrumors regular

I choose to believe the OP. After all it was an honest question, indicating the user would value feedback from us. Your post is negative & of no value.

To the OP, I'd give Apple another chance.

I chose to be patient and work with Apple when I got four significantly defective (in the words of the store genius) new 2010 BTO MBP's in a row. One of the best aspects of Apples operation is tech support & customer service.

My patience paid off, I now have one that's great.

In the years prior, every PowerBook or MacBook Pro I bought was fine.

24. tharepairguy macrumors member

I'm on my 4th defective 2011 Macbook Pro. Going to return in this weekend hopefully.

25. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Not to rub it in but I've had no problems with my 2011 15" MBP. I just believe both of you have had really bad luck.