Need advice- WoW and MBa

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tarbo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. tarbo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    i was scrolling through the forums recently, as i am close to purchasing a refurbished MBA and ive looked at a pc called the voodoo envy. to cut the story story i wanted to know whether WoW would work fine on an MBA with the 9400 graphics card on 1.6 ghz or should i save up a little more and opt for the 1.86. Thanks in advance

2. celtikmind macrumors 6502

If you're going to game on it, why bother with something as overpriced as the Air?

WoW would probably benefit more from more RAM than any meager speed bump. You can't get that as the Air is stuck with what RAM is on it when it leaves the factory.

I don't get it. :confused:

3. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Unless you mean MBA as Macbook Aluminum, I'd go Celtikmind on this one.

I don't think the Macbook Air would be sufficient enough for WoW.

I'm playing WoW on my 2.0ghz early 2009 whitebook and it runs flawlessly. Other than in dalaran, I get a constant 30-40 FPS with settings set from med-max.

I'll be upgrading it soon to 4gb RAM, so that should be all the better in Dalaran, I suppose.

But yeah, if you mean Macbook Aluminum, I believe those will run WoW just as well.

4. tarbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies i guess both of you have a point and i will consider my options:)

5. davwin macrumors regular

Spec-wise the Air will play WoW at native screen res with some tweaks to the settings but, as both celtikmind and theARNSKI stated, the WhiteBook/uMB will play it better for less money. And you can get a refurb whiteBook/unibodyMB for even less than the refurb Air your looking at - allowing for some extra $ to upgrade the RAM or HDD on your new laptop...

6. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Get a Macbook Air if you want to do email and internet throughout your entire ownership and slip it into an interoffice folder to send it to a co-worker when you don't want it anymore. :D

7. tarbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just after the WWDC announcements i guess ill be looking at the refurbished :apple:laptops.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If it is the Air you are referring too, for gaming you'd be better saving a bit more and getting a MacBookPro. No it's not as lite, but it will "game" a heck of a lot better. :)