Need help deciding whether to get new MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Oct 20, 2010.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I currently have an i7 MBP and am deciding whether to sell it for a 13" MBA with 4GB ram. I currently use my MBP only for uni work (ie office programs) and SPSS. Would I notice any speed difference if I got one of the new mac book airs? I just love how its so portable and would be so light in my bag

Edit: I've only used 50GB of my harddrive on my MBP

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Well, I could buy a MB Air on top of my MBP but I could see my MBP getting redundant as I can't imagine I'd use it. The main concern I have is whether it will have a speed equivalent in opening office programs etc, having a few windows open and not beachballing. I mean other than office, spss and surfing the net, I dont do anything else on my MBP

Also, will the new OS released next year work on it?

4. redkamel macrumors 6502

I have the now-previous MBA, with all the +'s , ie 128 gb SSD.

I love it. I've run SPSS on it, no problem. I doubt you will notice, ad I really like mine. I doubt you notice much of a speed difference; I am pretty performance oriented and never cursed my MBA when running SPSS or Office Apps. No moving parts, super light...it goes everywhere with me, without worries. If you can handle the smaller screen and hard drive (and really have never used 50gb of data), I doubt you would have any problem.

5. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

It should be fine. I'm thinking about switching out my MBA for my MBP, and my MBP is the same as the top of the line MBA (15" model, 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 3GB RAM). I run Logic Studio, Ableton, Photoshop, Office programs, etc. just fine on the MBP. I'll transfer large projects to my Mac Pro, but the MBP does a good job overall.

EDIT: Yes, 10.7 will work on your MBA. I'd guess 10.9 or 10.10 would work on your MBA as well.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I guess I'm a bit undecided whether to keep the MBP and get the base 11" model or sell and get the 13" model. If I got the base 11" with only 2GB would it run slow or is the memory upgrade worth it?

7. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok I've decided to keep my mbp and ordered the base 11"
    Edit: changed my order to the 4gb