Resolved Need Help Flashing a Radeon X1950 XT

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shadow9x99, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Shadow9x99 macrumors newbie

Shadow9x99

I'm trying to flash a Radeon X1950 XT for my DC 2.3GHz PMG5. As usual, this seemed very easy and straightforward in the beginning, but has now become a blackhole of suffering that has devoured about 8 hours of my time and a small chunk of my finger.

For starters, I'm using the PPC VBIOS I found on this macrumors thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/flashing-a-fx4500-for-a-g5.1556317/#post-17066824

Initially I was using FreeDOS on a bootable USB and ATIFlash 3.99. I backed up my rom, and did a blind flash in a Dell Optiplex 7010. It didn't work, I put it in the G5 and the fans spin up to full speed without anything being displayed (it did bong though).
    At this point it wouldn't display anything anymore in the Dell 7010, so I switched it to an old HP with onboard graphics. Tried flashing it again with the same result.
    So then I thought "Hey, maybe I need MS DOS and not FreeDOS" so I formated my USB and installed MS DOS. Unfortunately, I (foolishly) forgot to copy over my backed up rom before doing that so there's no going back now.
    I tried again, with MS DOS (IDK what version, I used Rufus which can automatically make a bootable DOS USB) and the result was the same. Here's a screenshot of what ATIFlash says after flashing, it would seem the flashes are successful so IDK what the issue is:
    DSC_0624.jpg
    The reason it shows so many fields changing is because I had just successfully flashed a stock PC X1950 XT rom I found online.

I'm using ATIFlash 3.99 because anything newer gives me an error about insuficiant extended memory when I try to run it. I booted the G5 with the GeForce 6600 in Slot 1 to see what it would say about the Radeon, you can see the results of that below:
    DSC_0623.jpg

So, after about 8 hours of trial and error and filleting my finger pretty good on one of the dozens of times I moved that GPU out of the PC and in the G5 for testing, I gave up.

If anyone has some tips/advice I'd really appreciate it :)

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 68020

LightBulbFun

fairly obvious one, but have you made sure to plug in the 6 pin power connector from the G5 to the 6 pin power connector on the video card?

im not sure if ATIFlash has this option like NVFLASH does

but try see if theres an option to completely erase the the EEPROM then flash the Mac ROM to it

3. Shadow9x99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadow9x99

Yup, power was plugged in. I also tried running PCIE power from a PC power supply in case something wasn't working right in the G5. As far as I know, ATIFlash doesn't have an option to erase the chip.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I don't know for sure, but try this rom.....

Attached Files:

5. weckart macrumors 601

Some more info about flashing the card here

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/x1950xt-roms-g5

I flashed the same card with a ROM from Macrumors back in the day. Worked first time for me, so dunno what the issue is. All I remember is that you had to have the exact X1950XT from Sapphire with the right cartoon female on the fan or it wouldn't work. Not sure if there were other X1950XTs floating around from other OEMs.

6. Shadow9x99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadow9x99

This just got more perplexing...

With this ROM flashed, the G5 doesn't bong and when it's in with the 6600 it doesn't even show up in the Graphics section of System Profiler. It's listed in PCI as a VGA-Compatible Controller.
    DSC_0661.jpg

Is this what your card looked like? I'm pretty sure I read that the robot girl was the right card:
    DSC_0625.JPG

The Macintosh Garden copy of the ROM behaves exactly the same as the copy I get here with one exception: the G5 doesn't bong with that ROM flashed (it did with the macrumors ROM). I tried flashing in a PC with a PCI GPU (something from the Radeon 7000 series I had lying around) and that didn't change the behavior of ATIFlash or it's effects at all.

This has me absolutely stumped.

7. weckart macrumors 601

That's the right card. I rather suspect the MG has the Intel version of the ROM as some people used the X1950XT on their hackintoshes back in the day.

8. Jubadub, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019

Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

I had issues with flashing this card, too. What was REQUIRED for it to work for me, though, was:
    - You NEED a PCI VGA graphics card, even a SUPER cheap-ass one, and have that selected in your BIOS. I needed to select the PCI/PCIExpress option (as opposed to PCIExpress/PCI, and as opposed to using the integrated graphics option anywhere);
    - I remember I needed a SPECIFIC ATIFlash version, from a specific range. It was neither the latest nor the newest (but it was closer to the latest than it was close to the earliest). It was, still, some late-ish version.

I did it on FreeDOS, but chances are it would work on Windows, too (which is not recommended by people, saying there's a good chance of something interfering). Regardless, on FreeDOS, I remember I needed to grab some extra file (for FreeDOS itself) to be able to run programs, precisely to get around the "insufficient memory" problem, and then I had to run THAT file inbetween each time I wanted to REopen ATIflash. Either that, or I'd have to reboot each time after running a given version of ATIflash. And maybe some versions of ATIflash wouldn't even run at all unless if I ran that file first. Foggy memory here.

I don't remember the name of the file and some of the other details, like the exact ATIflash version I used, though, because it's been quite a long while since I did it, but I repeat: you must meet the 2 requirements I highlighted above. Or, at the very least, that was what had to be done in my case, with my setup.

EDIT: Oh, and please, I hope you are using the ROM from this post, meaning post #22 found in page 1 of that thread. That is THE ROM. I'm not sure which ROM is up there on the Macintosh Garden.

EDIT 2:
    This is the card I flashed and still proudly have, no doubt. You got the right card!

Looking better at your troubles, it seems you really might need that file I mentioned to get past the "insufficient memory" problem to give you access to the RIGHT version of ATIflash (which I forgot which one it was, sorry!)
    And, again, on top of using a PCI card alongside to aid you, please please please make sure on your BIOS settings, in case it hasn't been done yet, it is set to use PCI/PCIe, not PCIe/PCI and not inegrated VGA or integrated graphics.

I wish you success! I'll look back into what file I used on FreeDOS to get past the memory issue, just for you, so I'll be back here in a bit...

EDIT 3: HDPMI32.EXE . Look it up and obtain it. Run it each time you see the "insufficient memory" error. Grab as many ATIflash versions you can, and prioritize testing with the latest ones, and go down from there.

9. Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

Wait, I made a little mistake here. It actually shouldn't matter, but I just took out my ATI X1950XT 256Mb to double check, and it turns out mine is this one:
    [​IMG]
    Just correcting myself for the sake of technicality, because most likely the flashing would work 100% just as well in either case.
    I see there are some other versions out there, including another one which features the same female character as mine, but doing another pose. Eitherway, the one I just posted is the one I have.

10. Shadow9x99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadow9x99

THAT DID IT!

I used Rufus to make a FreeDOS USB, put a Radeon 7000 in the PCI slot, set the graphics to PCI in the BIOS of my old Athlon 64 based HP Pavilion, and used ATIFlash 3.89 to flash the ROM from MacRumors to the card. I actually didn't need HDPMI32.EXE since the versions of ATIFlash prior to 4.xx work without it.

Getting to the boot screen takes a bit longer now, but everything works perfectly and the card scores 16,040 in OpenMark. It was a long road, but I couldn't be happier with the result. Thank you to everyone for their help and suggestions! :)

11. dextructor macrumors newbie

Thinking about preservation for the future generations, can you please make a zip with all your files to help others who may try this latter? Thanks!

12. Shadow9x99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadow9x99

Good Idea.

Attached Files:

13. Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

Glad that you made it. :) Enjoy the X1950 XT club!

If you want to use the card on Tiger and not just Leopard, it's recommended you install these drivers from ATI/AMD: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/MacX1900G5.dmg
    Highly recommend doing that on a fully-updated 10.4.11 installation.