Need help, wife just dropped her new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nospleen, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

My wife just started nursing school and they make you purchase a laptop from them. She received her MBP two weeks ago and dropped it off the side of the couch today. (charging) As luck would have it, i have some dumbbells on that side of the couch and it landed on them.

Everything works, but the top case is dented and that caused the top casing to curve some. The curve is causing the MBP to not stay shut, the magnet is not strong enough.

Anyone have any experience replacing the top case? Cost, how hard, where to purchase, etc..? It is a 15" btw. The screen is fine, just the casing seems to be the problem, pic attached.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Try Apple. I'm expecting a $500 repair if warranty has expired, or about $300 if still within warranty.

Most likely it'll fall somewhere between that price as they have to replace the whole top casing and likely the screen along with it.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would go to Apple.
    Go there and ask them for repair.
    The repair can take up to 2~3 weeks.

The cost... id say couple hundred (400~700 range).
    Maybe less, maybe more.

But since its the whole body, you cant replace it by your own.
    AppleCare wouldnt cover it either.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I was hoping I could just purchase the aluminum casing that is behind the screen. I am thinking that may not be an option... Ugh.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Unfortunately, the lid and display are replaced as a single unit.

I can't speak for Apple, but I would make an educated guess that the reason is because of the way it's assembled - using industrial adhesives to hold the glass, display, and lid, together as one piece.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Unfortunately, no.
    Since the body is a aluminum UNIBODY its all in one.
    That means you have to buy a huge piece of aluminum bend it how the MBP would be like, melt holes for your UIs and etc etc.

Its pretty much impossible to be done by yourself.

Ask apple before you mess anything else up.

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Man, I would have a heart attack if that happened to my new MBP. Sorry that happened :(

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Oh I am, but I know she did not mean to do it. The frustrating thing is she had a 13" MBP and they make you purchase one from them. We sold it for 850 and then had to spend 2150 to get this one. I was already annoyed having to pony up the 1300 when the 13" would have worked just fine. So needless to say, this is really, really frustrating. It is our fault, but still. :(

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Maybe try selling it on ebay for around 1500 and buy a new MBP?
    Then all you would need to spend is like 600 more bucks

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

The uni has to install some of their programs. They will only do so on the serial purchased from them. Thanks for the idea though!

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well good luck mate!
    Hope it doesnt cost too much to repair.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I already had a mild heart attack today when I read this message...:(

14. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

carefully bend it back yourself, that's what I would do.

15. sloan47 macrumors member

You could also get a hard shell case for it. It can hide the damage and prevent further damage.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

if it's bent to the point it won't close, i doubt a hard case would fit.

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

This is a perfect example of why I got myself an incase hardshell case.

For $50, you save yourself a ton of potential headaches. If you get this fixed or buy a new macbook, force yourself to cover the laptop with either incase or speck.

18. Jasonx82 macrumors member

I had the same damage, But I also wanted the Base replaced I was quoted 1100.00

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

That's the stupidest policy ever. My wife is in medical school (they too require Macs) but they allow the student to buy from wherever they want. The student is then required to register the s/n with the univ. and have the IT install a load of crap (which I took out later). Anyhow, as per the laptop take it to Apple. I doubt they will do this for free (even if they feel nice) but should not charge more than $700.

20. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm guessing you know whether your purchase included accidental coverage? I have seen schools offer Mac bundles that include accidental coverage. I've never heard of a school forcing you to buy through them. Sounds like highway robbery, I wonder if they get a cut as the reseller. Also I think some credit card companies may offer accidental coverage if you bought with their card. It's a longshot. You could also explain your story to Apple Customer Relations and try to ask for an exception and get a free repair. Stranger things have happened. Call 408 996 1010 and include any info that makes your story more sympathetic, your wife being a nursing student is a good start

None of that may work, and if so, I am sorry

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ah good point, I forgot to mention. If you used Amex to purchase the laptop - they offer accidental coverage no matter where you got it from. Def. check with your CC company and try your luck with Apple. Better yet, have your wife call. In my experience, people tend to listen to women more than men... (I know right).

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Since you're so confident in your case, would you drop it on some dumbbells from 3 feet up and tell us if it survives without any damage?

23. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

On some dumbbells? I would try dropping the dummbells onto it sounds like a more interesting test or try a drop test from a 3+ story building and please document the outcome with pictures :D :cool:

24. Alexjones, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

Meing, Thats some shiner. Just one word... Speck. Best invention since white bread. BTW, The top half of a clamshell display assembly is about $800 dollars plus labor. You figure the total is a little over one large (A thousand)

25. aircanman macrumors 6502

If it were me I would flog that one on ebay, someone will pay good money for it as a working but cosmetically damaged machine. Then go buy a new one.

I think the difference will be cheaper.