Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I use a paper tablet, mounted on a small 5 in. by 8 in. (127 x 203 mm) clipboard, to manage my shopping lists and also some other to-do task lists and business note taking while out shopping or taking care of other projects. It works well. I can carry it or set it up in a shopping cart.

One thing has mixed results: pens. Sometimes, the clip on the pen is cheap plastic and it breaks off.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a retractable ballpoint pen with a strong enough clip that can mount on the hard wire clip of this clipboard without breaking?

The idea of using a short peice of string to permanently attached the pen to the clipboard doesn't work very well, either.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I am a fan of zebra pens, they are retractable with various point sizes and the metal casing doesn't break easily in my experience
How well do the side-clips on those pens hold up? I can be brutal, putting a pen in a denim jeans' cell pocket, or hanging it on the clipboards thick wire clip. One of our family just broke a plastic pen's plastic clip that was mounted on that clipboard I mentioned.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
How well do the side-clips on those pens hold up? I can be brutal, putting a pen in a denim jeans' cell pocket, or hanging it on the clipboards thick wire clip. One of our family just broke a plastic pen's plastic clip that was mounted on that clipboard I mentioned.
They have held up well with my use with denim jeans pocket and the occasional boredom of just messing with the clip. I haven't really had to stretch them over a clipboard wire clip, but there is already a decent size gap between the clip and the body of the pen. I didn't really state it well earlier, but the clip and the body are metal (don't remember off the top of my head the type of metal), but like I said I don't recall one ever breaking on me and they are pretty "mainstream" enough to find in most stores pen sections unlike other niche pens labeled "tough" or something that cost an arm and a leg for just a pen.

Reactions: Wingsley

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I use a paper tablet, mounted on a small 5 in. by 8 in. (127 x 203 mm) clipboard, to manage my shopping lists and also some other to-do task lists and business note taking while out shopping or taking care of other projects. It works well. I can carry it or set it up in a shopping cart.

One thing has mixed results: pens. Sometimes, the clip on the pen is cheap plastic and it breaks off.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a retractable ballpoint pen with a strong enough clip that can mount on the hard wire clip of this clipboard without breaking?

The idea of using a short peice of string to permanently attached the pen to the clipboard doesn't work very well, either.

Why not kick it astronaut-style??? If the ability to withstand 4G’s at launch ain’t enough for ya…well, maybe you need to hire a machinist.
;-)

----------
ETA: if you look at the accessory section of the Space Pen website, they sell replacement clips for one of their pen models.

Last edited:

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Why not kick it astronaut-style??? If the ability to withstand 4G’s at launch ain’t enough for ya…well, maybe you need to hire a machinist.
;-)

How tough is the clip on that pen? I can be brutal, putting a pen in a denim jeans' cell pocket, or hanging it on the clipboards thick wire clip. One of our family just broke a plastic pen's plastic clip that was mounted on that clipboard I mentioned.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
This is the pen that I use for work every day, and I would highly recommend it. It has a simple design and twists to open, so can be operated with one hand. The clip is held in place by spring tension, so it will never deform. The entire body of the pen is also made from sterling silver, so it's very durable. I work in a warehouse environment, so it handles a lot of wear and tear. It's no longer available directly from the manufacturer, but there are several available on eBay under "1837."
5A322631-2C95-4925-9E85-72FF964881EA.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is the pen that I use for work every day, and I would highly recommend it. It has a simple design and twists to open, so can be operated with one hand. The clip is held in place by spring tension, so it will never deform. The entire body of the pen is also made from sterling silver, so it's very durable. I work in a warehouse environment, so it handles a lot of wear and tear. It's no longer available directly from the manufacturer, but there are several available on eBay under "1837."
View attachment 2179934

That is a gorgeous pen, elegant yet sturdy; what is the make?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sharpie S-Gels are what I am currently using. They come in black. red or blue ink and a few colors and are metal. Zebras used to be my pen, but the S-Gels just.'flow' better, probably because of the ink mechanism.

I wear Dickies pants and shorts, so the metal goes with that and the clip holds up. It's metal, not plastic.

1070971265.jpg

Note that Sharpie has a plastic version of these. I have no experience with them.

Reactions: cthompson94

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I like the Pilot G-2 but can’t vouch for the strength of its clip.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
Well, if you want a truly robust clip, have a look at the tactical pens made by Uzi (available on Amazon). These are made from aircraft-grade aluminum, have a glass-breaker at one end, and are designed to be useful in a close quarters combat situation! Of course, they are quite suitable ballpoint pens.

Take care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.