Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I found an app called Wrist:Home which "works with Nest" but it's extremely buggy and unpolished. Any Nest app should use the digital crown to control temperature.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I control my Nest on my Apple Watch using the IFTTT Do Button app (iTunes link), which is compatible with the watch.

I have two buttons ("recipies") in the watch app- one to set the temp to 15 degrees and the other to set it to 21.5, which basically reflect my flat's 'on' and 'off' temperatures.

qowa13U.png

It is really cool tapping the button on my wrist and seeing the Nest light up and do its thing.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I control my Nest on my Apple Watch using the IFTTT Do Button app (iTunes link), which is compatible with the watch.

I have two buttons ("recipies") in the watch app- one to set the temp to 15 degrees and the other to set it to 21.5, which basically reflect my flat's 'on' and 'off' temperatures.

It is really cool tapping the button on my wrist and seeing the Nest light up and do its thing.

Yes I am using Do for Harmony stuff. It's limited though to certain actions.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Funny, my co worker was going nuts today saying the same thing. Kinda ridiculous.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
I use the Kontrolln watch app to control my Nest stat, its a bit slow and clunky but it does the basics.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
What I like about my nests is that I don't need to interact with them. They just get on with it.

So I don't think I'd use a watch app much.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I asked nest about this and got this repsonse:

https://twitter.com/nestsupport/status/594159090772942848

With the tone of that it seems that Apple and Nest relationship is going no where.

Apple: "Nest use Homekit"
Nest: "Apple, join 'works with Nest'"

Might sell the nest and get the Honeywell now.

Ouch, really? This post needs to be on macrumors main page. I love my nest but disappointed if they don't add a SIMPLE apple watch app.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If you just come and go from your house at the same time all the time, then I can see that. Or if you live in a temperate climate where you don't experience extremes in the house if you're away.

But if you travel on a non-regular schedule it is nice to tell the house you're not away anymore when you're coming from the airport so it's not freezing or boiling.

Yeah that makes sense that you'd want to interact more in that scenario. But isn't that interaction better and safer left to the iPhone app? Because:
  1. The screen real estate on the watch is a bit limited.
  2. There's the chance you could inadvertently open the app while you're just taking a nap (say, in your hotel, 1000 miles from home) and inadvertently mess up the temperatures back home without realizing?

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Somewhere during all my reading before the watch came out there was spicy of the watch with the nest app on it.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thessa by Deviate
https://appsto.re/gb/QxK94.i

I've been using this app for nest, works pretty well on the watch IMO.

This one according to the reviews doesn't support multiple Nests and I have 3 of them. I also tried Kontrol Nest which has a great interface but is not working properly on the watch. Apparently the watch simulator isn't great as a lot of third party apps have major bugs in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.