Nest Now Shipping 'Hello' Smart Doorbell With Night-Vision Camera and Two-Way Audio

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nest has begun shipping the Hello, a smart doorbell that's capable of streaming 160 degree HD live video from your door directly to your phone.

First announced back in September, the $229 doorbell device can take a photo of a person standing on your doorstep before the bell is even rung, and also supports two-way audio so you can speak with them.

[​IMG]

The doorbell features a 3-megapixel camera with infrared night vision and records 1,600 × 1,200 video at 30 frames per second. The Hello also has a 160-degree field of view, and is 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi compatible. It stores up to three hours of video out of the box, with additional storage available by taking up a Nest Aware subscription.

In addition to shipping Hello orders via its online store, Nest also announced it is now shipping the $249 Nest x Yale Lock, a tamper-proof deadbolt front door lock with touchpad that connects to the Nest app. The touchpad means owners can give people they trust a passcode instead of a key for entry, and the door it's attached to can be locked and unlocked wirelessly.

[​IMG]

Lastly, Nest also revealed that it is now taking pre-orders for its new wireless external temperature sensors for the Nest Learning Thermostat and Thermostat E. Owners can add up to six of the battery-powered, inch-wide sensors, each of which cost $39, or $99 for a three-pack. Nest also says it plans to bundle its thermostats with the temperature sensors after they officially hit stores in April.

Nest products don't integrate with Apple's HomeKit setup, but are popular competing connected home solutions. See the Nest website for more details.

Article Link: Nest Now Shipping 'Hello' Smart Doorbell With Night-Vision Camera and Two-Way Audio

2. joco32 macrumors newbie

3. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

Apple were too slow picking them up. Their slowness is becoming a trait.

4. zahuh macrumors regular

2022 Apple announces doorbell ringer with Siri LOL

5. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

So wouldn't someone steal that doorbell instead? OR damage it? As for the lock, I never trust these automated/wireless locks. I mean how many things do we want on wifi? We are heading towards a future of everything being hackable from a distance.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, how long as Google owned Nest and how many products have they've shipped? Nest did something fantastic, with their thermostat, and then poof. they diseappeared for what seems like years. Even Google seemed to give up on them for a while and they're the owners.

7. johngordon macrumors 68000

Out of interest, how do the individual room thermostats work? We have Tado, with individual TRVs on the radiators. So the radiators can be turned up or down to control the temp in individual rooms.

But how does it work with the Nest one, if it can't control the individual radiators?

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Nest has the best smart connected smoke/CO alarms and great security cameras. I have three of the alarms and one of their cameras. Don't use their thermostat because i find the Honeywell evohome much more suitable for my home. Not sure too many care much about HomeKit or Siri.

9. jjblinky macrumors newbie

The Nest thermostat works like a regular thermostat - when it hits the desired temperature the boiler stops heating. I have some TRVs (regular not wireless) so I can turn the heat down in some rooms.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They had issues with the smoke detectors and recalled all of them. I'm not sure I'd be touting that as shining example of the innovation of Nest. I forgot about the cameras, but I think it was mostly a forgetable product for many, i.e., didn't really capture the market or people's excitement

Alphabet has folded the Nest division back into the google fold, so I think we'll be seeing more google-type products and not really much Nest innovations, per say.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/07/nest-is-being-rolled-into-googles-hardware-team/

11. jjblinky macrumors newbie

Think I'll be sticking with my ring door bell. Can't see an equivalent to the Ring Chime either, anyone know how this works if you are out and your family are at home - how do they hear the door bell?

12. johngordon macrumors 68000

Sure - but one of the new product in the story are secondary thermostats to control the temp in individual rooms. I'm juts wondering how they work without the ability to automatically control the TRVs.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-temperature-sensor/overview/

Actually, it says:

"you can let your Nest thermostat know which room should be a certain temperature at a certain time of day. And that room will be always be the most comfortable."

So I guess its actually just letting you have different rooms set to a temperature, but ultimately based on the temperature of all the radiators in the home to make it that temp. Rather than have one in different rooms, and be able to control the temp in different rooms independently.

13. meady100 macrumors member

Call me a luddite, but surely the time and money spent researching, buying, fitting and setting up a smart lock will never be recovered by the 'convenience' of what it does!? The old one was never broke!

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

$229? now you don't even need to get into someone's house to steal ****. i imagine it is tamper-proof but it would probably become damaged if someone tried to remove it.

15. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

no interoperability, no sale

16. Moakesy macrumors regular

Moakesy

A smart doorbell is probably my next purchase, and HomeKit integration would be useful. Doorbell is pressed, tone plays on the HomePod, and I then answer (via HomePod - no need to get the phone out) telling the caller I'm just on my way is very much a use case I want.

At the moment, I don't think any of them can do that unfortunately. Ring is currently top of my list, but holding off and waiting to see what comes to market.

Have the Nest thermostat and frustrated that doesn't have HomeKit integration either.

17. elvisimprsntr, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

elvisimprsntr macrumors regular

Nest has the best Smoke/CO alarms? You mean one of the most expensive?

Per NFPA building code, I am required to have 9 Smoke/COs in my home. Also per NFPA, I am required to replace residential Smoke/COs every 10 years. So 9 Nest Protects at $119 comes to $1071 every 10 years, assuming they don't fail sooner (Nest Protect basic warranty is 2 years.) Or I can replace $9 wired/interconnected Kidde Smoke/Co for $81 every 10 years. I get at least 2 years out of quality Duracell 9v batteries. If I really want remote monitoring/notifications, I can add a Kidde RemoteLync (https://remotelync.kidde.com/monitor/), which monitors the Smoke/CO audible sound and is compatible with any manufacturers smokes built since 1999.

The marks (suckers) who bought into the Nest Protect scam will find out when they try to sell their home and the buyer's home inspector flags all the Nest Protects as expired. Good luck with that.

Hilarious video of NP in action.

18. djc6 macrumors 6502

When will they finally have a remote sensor for the Nest thermostat?

19. macguru212 macrumors regular

macguru212

"I'm sorry I can't let you in, but I found this on the internet"

20. jjblinky macrumors newbie

So it will ignore the main thermostat and only stop heating once the remote sensor hits its temperature. I'm actually up for this. When its cold I heat my groundfloor with a log burner. The Nest Thermostat will stop the heating coming on as its in the same room as the log burner (ground floor). With TRV's downstairs this remote thermostat would mean the radiators will heat upstairs. Works for me. But yes without TRVs some rooms could get hotter than you'd like.

21. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Most smart doorbells have a screw that is hard to remove and very very small, this keeps people from steeling your doorbell and if they do, you have photo of them doing it. Why would someone hack your door from far away, there I no point. Also, they are much harder to pick, and locks (dumb/smart) are only to keep honest people out. If someone wants in your house, they are getting in your house.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    If it works like the Ecobee, it just uses the remote sensor and not the sensor built into the thermostat to control temp.

22. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I was in the Nest eco system before HomeKit. I just set up Homebridge, and now my thermostat, two smoke/co monitors, and three cameras. It's not perfect to have to have a bridge in the middle, but it gets the job done.

23. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Ridiculous that these devices are being limited by all manufacturers.

The idea is to get people on board with these innovative products, not limit their use.

24. belvdr macrumors 603

What Kidde Smoke/CO detector are you getting for $9? I'm currently shopping for them and the cheapest I found is approximately $30-40.

Also, I would never recommend waiting 2 years to replace your detector batteries.

25. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This made me laugh. Its Apple that doesn't have interoperability. If you chose something other than HomeKit, you'd have way more interoperability.

Their current Nest Protect is a completely different detector than the one they recalled and discontinued after 2.5 months. I applaud them for doing the right thing in that regard.

https://www.cnet.com/news/after-recall-nest-relaunches-protect-smoke-detector-for-99/

The video you posted kind of kills your credibility because it was clearly staged by someone who wanted to look like an idiot. Have you owned them, or are you just basing your opinion on hearsay and idiotic videos? I've had zero problem with mine. I just replaced all of our smoke detectors with Nest Protects... got them on Black Friday sales. We have 7, so it is a chunk of change. I'm happy with them. First Alert has a less capable smart detector that is about half the price.

They stop working when they expire, unlike regular detectors, so of course an inspector would flag a non functional detector. I have not had an inspector flag regular ones when they were past their prime. I would view it as a nice feature if I were a buyer. And as you pointed out, if someone had a problem with it they could be all replaced with the cheap ones in about 15 minutes.

Pros:
    - Connected so you can be notified if they go off and you are not at home. We have pets so this is am important feature
    - Motion detect pathway lighting
    - Smoke and CO2 in one detector (although if ceiling mounted the CO2 portion is of marginal value)
    - Self check when you turn the lights out every night, vs. depending on someone manually checking

Cons:
    - Expensive vs. non-connected detectors
    - Motion sensor can't be used for other home automation purposes