Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Cap.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Yesterday the Netflix-App on my AppleTV 4K updated itself. Since then everything just plays with stereo sound. Even a new show like "Away" which has Atmos, is now stereo only. I still get the 5.1 and Atmos badges when I'm in the menu but output is just stereo. Before the update everything was fine. Somebody else has that issue? Reinstalling the App didn't help. Other Apps on my AppleTV like Prime or Disney+ still output Atmos and 5.1 just fine. Thanks for checking.

breiti

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Yes i have the same issue with Netflix. Atmos badge there, output is only LPCM 2.0.

Guess we need to wait for another App update.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm on 14.2, was hoping to get rid of some issues in 14.0, but it didn't help

Netflix, I get no atmos badges on the info screen, only 5.1, but they play in stereo (away, Witcher)

disney, the movies that should be atmos, only have the 5.1 badge, and play in 5.1 (endgame)
appleTV+, the moves that should be atmos, have the atmos badge, but play in 5.1 (and no atmos badge in the playing screen) (ted lasso, greyhound)

The atmos setting was missing from the main settings app, toggling "change format" on and back off again seemed to clear that up, but didn't change anything. It keeps dissapering on it's own when I go back, but not every time.

as far his know prime doesn't have atmos to test with. but it's only playing in stereo, even though items have the 5.1 badge

I've tried using both the TV's speakers and my sound bar, I can seem to get atmos from the aTV at all.
I've got an LG CX oled, and a sonos arc sound bar.

sonos, I can see what's coming in
on the TV, I'm just looking for the atmos badge when playing.

atmos works fine for the apps built into the TV.

Last edited:

stlsot

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
St Louis
2.0 for me as well. Appletv 4K- Marantz NR1607- HUE Sync- LG 9500. Can’t wait to get Atmos back!

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
I'm on 14.2, was hoping to get rid of some issues in 14.0, but it didn't help

Netflix, I get no atmos badges on the info screen, only 5.1, but they play in stereo (away, Witcher)

disney, the movies that should be atmos, only have the 5.1 badge, and play in 5.1 (endgame)
appleTV+, the moves that should be atmos, have the atmos badge, but play in 5.1 (and no atmos badge in the playing screen) (ted lasso, greyhound)

The atmos setting was missing from the main settings app, toggling "change format" on and back off again seemed to clear that up, but didn't change anything. It keeps dissapering on it's own when I go back, but not every time.

as far his know prime doesn't have atmos to test with. but it's only playing in stereo, even though items have the 5.1 badge

I've tried using both the TV's speakers and my sound bar, I can seem to get atmos from the aTV at all.
I've got an LG CX oled, and a sonos arc sound bar.

sonos, I can see what's coming in
on the TV, I'm just looking for the atmos badge when playing.

atmos works fine for the apps built into the TV.

Semi off topic, but I'm reading a lot on Reddit that tvOS 14.2 breaks Atmos output completely. You seem to be suggesting this is not the case?

I have the same setup as you.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Semi off topic, but I'm reading a lot on Reddit that tvOS 14.2 breaks Atmos output completely. You seem to be suggesting this is not the case?
I have no atmos sound in any app on the aTV in 14.2. (tested both using tv speakers, and sonos arc)
the only place I do see atmos is the little picture that shows up in the info screens before you start playing, and that's only in some places, I think only in aTV+.

I have a lot of stereo where I should have 5.1
and I have either stereo or 5.1 where I should have atmos.

I do get atmos on the arc when using the televisions apps.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Yesterday the Netflix-App on my AppleTV 4K updated itself. Since then everything just plays with stereo sound. Even a new show like "Away" which has Atmos, is now stereo only. I still get the 5.1 and Atmos badges when I'm in the menu but output is just stereo. Before the update everything was fine. Somebody else has that issue? Reinstalling the App didn't help. Other Apps on my AppleTV like Prime or Disney+ still output Atmos and 5.1 just fine. Thanks for checking.

Can also confirm only stereo after Netflix app update 9.22.20. Other apps still outputs 5.1 and Atmos.

ApMcUser

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
I have a LG CX OLED with sound out via HDMI ARC to my Marantz NR1602 which doesn't decode dolby atmos. After the Netflix app update yesterday, I only get 2.0 sound now in the Netflix app on Apple TV 4k running tvOS 14. I get the correct 5.1 sound using the in-built Netflix app on the LG TV.

My Plex app updated today and this now also only outputs 2.0 - previously working fine after last week's upgrade to tvOS 14. Has anyone else noticed this following the Plex app update today?

Apple TV+ content, purchased movies from iTunes and Amazon Prime video all correctly output 5.1 sound.

Not sure if this is a tvOS 14 bug or a bug in the apps. Its interesting that both of the apps affected have just been updated in the last few days.

ibaneye

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
I seem to have lost Atmos output from ATV altogether, with 14.2. Different apps output varying levels, from 2.0 to 7.1, but not Atmos, as they should. Some apps still advertise Atmos, but aren't playing as such. My other equipment is fine, so definitely an ATV issue.

fieldegl

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
This is actually comforting news to me.. I have been searching the web looking for answers all day today. I purchased new hdmi cables from monoprice, hooked them up today and noticed no Atmos content worked with Netflix. Everything is fine with Apple TV+, Disney+, etc. Hoping after reading this news that it’s related to the recent tvOS update and I just didn’t notice it until today.

ApMcUser

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
tvOS 14 has changed the auto setting sound output. I send sound via HDMI ARC to my AV receiver. With tvOS 13, I had to set the Apple TV to down mix to Dolby Digital 5.1 to get 5.1 surround sound as I cannot pass through 5.1 LPCM over ARC with my setup. Now, the auto setting correctly sends a Dolby digital 5.1 signal over ARC on Apple TV+, Amazon Prime video and Netflix until the recent app update broke surround sound. I suspect that the recent app updates in Netflix and Plex are to blame but only on tvOS 14.

It would be good if someone could confirm if the updated Netflix app on tvOS13 has broken surround sound. Also, has anyone else noticed the same problem with surround sound following the Plex update this week?

Reactions: coordinated

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2020
I still can use atmos with Amazon Prime but Netflix is definetely broken even 5.1 is not working.

Mark Yastion

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
tvOS 14 has changed the auto setting sound output. I send sound via HDMI ARC to my AV receiver. With tvOS 13, I had to set the Apple TV to down mix to Dolby Digital 5.1 to get 5.1 surround sound as I cannot pass through 5.1 LPCM over ARC with my setup. Now, the auto setting correctly sends a Dolby digital 5.1 signal over ARC on Apple TV+, Amazon Prime video and Netflix until the recent app update broke surround sound. I suspect that the recent app updates in Netflix and Plex are to blame but only on tvOS 14.

It would be good if someone could confirm if the updated Netflix app on tvOS13 has broken surround sound. Also, has anyone else noticed the same problem with surround sound following the Plex update this week?
I was on tvOS 13 Wednesday and I was only getting stereo from Netflix. I thought that updating to tvOS14 would fix the problem but it did not. I still got stereo no matter version I think it is definitely the update to the Netflix app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.