Netflix CEO Confirms Netflix Won't Be Part of Apple's Upcoming Video Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is set to unveil its long-rumored TV service next Monday, and ahead of the event, Netflix has confirmed that it won't be participating in Apple's streaming offering.

At a briefing at the company's headquarters in Hollywood, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said that while Apple is a "great company," Netflix isn't interested in offering its content on other platforms. "We want to have people watch our shows on our services," he said, according to Recode.

[​IMG]

Netflix has never embraced Apple TV features like "Up Next" designed to allow Apple TV users to see all of their watched TV shows at a glance, so it's no surprise to hear that Netflix does not plan to offer its content through Apple's upcoming streaming service.

Set to be launched next week, Apple's TV offering will feature both its original content and add-on content from other cable providers like Showtime and HBO. Apple will allow customers to sign up for subscriptions to third-party services like HBO right within the TV app, which will serve as Apple's TV content hub.

Apple's video hub will be similar to what Amazon offers through its Prime Video app. Amazon provides original TV shows along with options to subscribe to premium content through a Channels feature.

In response to a question about how Netflix will compete with Apple and Amazon going forward, Hastings said the company will do so "with difficulty," though he pointed out that Netflix has already been competing with Amazon for years.

"You do your best job when you have great competitors," he said, before admitting that the increased competition has led to higher prices when sourcing content.

Apple is going to give us a first look at its video service on Monday, March 25, at an event set to be held at its Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. Multiple celebrities that are starring in Apple shows, like Steve Carell, Jennifer Aniston, and Reese Witherspoon, will be present.

Article Link: Netflix CEO Confirms Netflix Won't Be Part of Apple's Upcoming Video Service

2. abrantes09 macrumors member

abrantes09

Hmmmmmmmm, curious as to how Netflix and Apple will compete. Will the ecosystem pose as an advantage?

3. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

4. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

Netflix! don't be like Spotify someday.

Keep this "You do your best job when you have great competitors," instead whining about competitors.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple TV service coming sometime in 2020 or the near future. Stay tuned.

7. Dephtones macrumors member

Dephtones

No reason to do that. They spent countless money producing it all. Why wouldn’t they keep their stuff exclusive ?

8. G5isAlive, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Compare these professionals with the whining Spotify... and its no wonder Netflix will do fine.

9. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I don’t think anyone here expected they’d be. Netflix has also declined to be in the TV app, the foundational precursor to the Apple TV subscription service.

I’m happy to keep my Netflix account for original content but I plan to also subscribe to Apple TV and other channels through the TV app for all other content, including hopefully live news, events and sports.

10. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

As in "have more customers than Apple"?

11. JPLC macrumors 6502

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Just use Apple streaming, Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming, Hulu streaming, CBS streaming, HBO streaming, Disney streaming, etc.

How many different streaming services will the average family subscribe to ?

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Nope. Spotify did it all to themselves. Netflix understand how to win, not cry.

14. star_nerdy macrumors member

Apple has no incentive to buy or partner with Netflix.

Netflix is waiting to see how many people ditch their service for Disney’s offering.

I imagine Netflix will see a loss of customers, their value will drop, and then they’ll be ripe for buying at a discount.

15. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

16. subjonas macrumors 68000

Of course! That would be like Lakers playing against Clippers and letting Lebron James play for both teams.

Apple TV service will probably have some nice integration into the Apple ecosystem that will make it tempting. The TV app tried to unify everything but so far that hasn’t been working for me. I’ll be interested to see what Apple offers.

17. cmaier macrumors G5

18. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

perhaps i should also make it official - i also won't be participating in apple's streaming offering.

19. cmaier macrumors G5

I would have bet you would be. Curses.

20. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Not surprised that Netflix says no. This one is going to be all in the details. I want to know exactly what they are offering and what the price will be. I am slightly optimistic.

21. Bob Sanders macrumors member

Why is this news? Sony Pictures will also not be distributing the next Star Wars film. Maybe you should make an article about that.

22. KGBguy macrumors regular

KGBguy

Good for them! Netflix is actually great, I enjoy their service.

23. coolfactor macrumors 601

This leaves me very confused as a consumer. Netflix is already on other platforms. I honestly can't fathom how Netflix would be "part of" the Apple TV service to begin with. Who thought that it might be? It's already an app on all Apple devices. What would change once this Apple TV service launches? Is it going to be an app that gives access to Apple-produced content much like the Netflix app does today?

24. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i know. i didn't want everyone to hold their breath until i make the official announcement.

25. Seoras macrumors 6502

Seoras

HBO? Does that mean Game of Thrones S8 will be on the Apple TV channel? That would be a coup.
    The timing of their announcement with S8 about to go out would make sense.