Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enlightened Doggo

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
It's no surprise. Every conversation I've listened in on people complain about the rising costs and low quality of their original programming. It's also becoming more popular for people to switch streaming services month-to-month to avoid stale content. If there's nothing compelling on Netflix, then those people simply won't resubscribe. It seems as though Netflix is going to fail long-term unless they become much better at producing original content.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Fun! I just canceled, too. I've been mulling it (and a friend really thinks I'd like Ozark) but I'm paying too much for all these services monthly, and I watch Netflix the least.

Honestly, it definitely has something to do with their refusal to integrate with Apple's TV app and system. Monetize that!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Their EPS is $3.20. Positive cash from Operating Activities. Positive Free Cash Flow.

Why is Netflix (and MacRumors) talking like Netflix is feeling any pain right now?

I feel like this is just some PR nonsense to prepare us for when Netflix inserts ads, raises prices, and blocks password sharing - they're trying to make us feel some sympathy for them because they're losing subscribers.

I think it's been ~2 years since I last watched something on Netflix (Black Mirror - highly recommended if you haven't seen it). Netflix's problem is they're just not competitive anymore. Everyone else has content worth watching, and they don't.

I'm on a shared account. If I'm asked to pay, my response will be "nah, go ahead and cancel it."

I'm sure explaining the drop in minutes watched to investors after they do this will be really fun.

Reactions: dejmo78

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Does Netflix still license shows, or is it all originals now? I haven’t checked in a while. I remember back in 2016 or 2017 they had said that by 2022 or 2023 it would be purely their own content.

Eurisko2

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
They jacked up the price, and didn't keep up with the quality. My kids are on my account, I don't watch Netflix. If they charge more, or prevent my family on the account, I'll cancel. My kids wont' buy their own accounts, so it will just be another customer they will lose.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Funny, i dropped my subscription down a tier, since I don't really care that much about 4k.

That said, Netflix has dropped like a rock this year, and the numbers look like the era of growth is over. It'll be throwing out tons of cash for the foreseeable future, though, just like cable companies.

The only possible growth areas for them are sports and live. It'll be interesting to see where they go.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
HAHAHA

I wish them nothing but the worst. Blaming users for their fading business model is coming off as very condescending
Their fading business model resulted in a 9% increase in revenue year-over-year. ;)

I'm not a shareholder so that doesn't benefit me as a Netflix customer. But it shows that they're adjusting and not actually "fading". The fact that they continue to offer just enough programming that interests my wife that we continue to keep the account is a testament to them knowing their customers.

The moment she says there's nothing on Netflix is the moment I'll drop it. That's been my position for the past 10 years as a cord-cutter.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Turns out, in that same quarter, HBOMax's subscription numbers increased by 1.2 million and AppleTV+'s went up by .1 million. Weird. 😜

Blaming your paying user base for performance metrics, while increasing revenue, is A) about as amateur as I have seen and B) not an effective strategy - if longevity is the goal. Even if they believed that to be true, had metrics showing just that, from PR pop, you don't make that belief public.

I've been a Netflix streamer since they launched. Over the years, I've grown weary of their increasingly bloated library of largely unwatchable content, price hikes and overall d-baggery. As many have stated here, I too am (and have been) considering leaving. This might be the thing that pushes me to finally implement a new streaming strategy I've been mulling.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Netflix learning the hard way that the ol' companies' long-term contract cable packages were designed that way for a reason ;)

I basically like two Netflix shows. Arcane and Stranger Things. Granted I liked both of them a lot (and the former one a lot lot) but it's not exactly keeping me subbed year-round.

The easy-to-rewatch shows with the high episode count they licensed are in the process of getting moved over to their parent companies' services so.. tough luck. They just have to keep trying to make more original hit shows. Easy to say but hard to do. Nothing else is going to help, though.

Reactions: JM

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Does Netflix still license shows, or is it all originals now? I haven’t checked in a while. I remember back in 2016 or 2017 they had said that by 2022 or 2023 it would be purely their own content.
Hasn't changed, most content they show even with their name on it is from other producers, some of it is partnered so it will remain on Netflix, or they have exclusive rights to play TV series content for a given time period. To use the Korean TV series examples, Netflix is how a huge number of viewers are being reached outside Korea. I often thought of Netflix as a huge worldwide superstation of sorts for all the partnering going on all the time.

Reactions: AppleTO

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If they keep on charging extra for higher screen resolution. They will continue to lose more subscribers.
Should we discuss how much people spend on a cup of coffee during the month. It's either worth it or it isn't. Streaming is not cheap in the end, you tend to spend more because you want more until you realize you're happy with less. Still good free sites with lots of ads. :D

Reactions: arkitect

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I actually prefer their pricing model. I hate ads. And I only care about HD for gaming. Yes, 4K looks fantastic, but when you are always seeing SD and not comparing side by side, standard def diminishes my experience of the show 0%. So I like that I can pay the lowest amount and still not have ads. But I’ll cancel once they go above $10. And maybe activate one month a year to binge everything that released.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Is it considered meta when Netflix inevitably shows a documentary about its own demise?

Reactions: Huck

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Netflix really needs to stop blaming the consumers and they should focus on the actual "High Quality/Level Content" they should be making.
Did you ever read The Netflix Nightmare: What Happens When an Industry Becomes a Squid Game - Variety 4/21

The reality is more complicated. Since streamers came to dominate the landscape, the assumption has been that broadcast TV is seriously endangered—that it’s struggling to reach new generations of viewers, partly because of its risk-averse rules and its devotion to broad, inoffensive content. That existential threat is real. But some see a worrisome irony emerging: The streamers are acting more and more like the cautious industry they revolutionized. Streamers are pursuing what they call “elevated broadcast,” making sitcoms, dramas, procedurals, and reality TV central to their platforms. Some also appear to be pulling back from the challenging content that attracted audiences in hopes of scooping up every viewer the networks have left.

Insiders say streaming executives are becoming less adventurous—or more populist, depending on your point of view—because they’re spooked by the overcrowded market and uncertain about how to keep expanding (and retaining) their subscriber bases. Netflix’s stock price plunged after an earnings report projected a loss of 2 million global subscribers by June. A top executive there also said that they are exploring a lower-priced subscription that would include commercials. “I’m always a little bit worried that half the streamers will go away at a certain point,” says Alan Yang, cocreator of unconventional comedies like Netflix’s Master of None, Amazon’s Forever, and Apple TV+’s upcoming Loot. “Can the market sustain all of them spending the way they are and making the number of shows that they make?”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.