Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
When you realize Netflix is just a middle man, without value exclusive content you understand why they are in trouble. One can get the Disney bundle of Disney +, Hulu and Espn for the same price as Netflix. They are in trouble until they can make elusive content that the masses like.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
They are going to charge people $36 more a year to let someone have their mom use their subscription, and already raised 4K streaming from $13.99 a month to $19.99 a month since 2019. They also raised their CEO’s pay from $24 million to $40 million during the same time. Greed.

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
When you realize Netflix is just a middle man, without value exclusive content you understand why they are in trouble. One can get the Disney bundle of Disney +, Hulu and Espn for the same price as Netflix. They are in trouble until they can make elusive content that the masses like.
Netflix isn’t just a middle man. They make original content. They actually were the first streaming service to do so. House of Cards is an example.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
It’s funny how much headlines can influence perception. If you read their earnings release, Netflix actually had a much better quarter than anyone expected. And they’re expecting great results in 2023. The worst appears to have passed for them. T

Reactions: citysnaps

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The NEW Blockbuster, not literally Blockbuster. There is a difference. Blockbuster died a death of arrogance.
Nice try but not even close. No VoD host has Netflix's percentage of subscriber marketshare in comparison. Go target AT&T management against HBO Max ignoring WB profitability if you want arrogance. Passed on at a loss to Discovery. :D

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I cancelled a couple of years ago for some of the reasons others have. The prices kept going up, the quality of shows kept going down and the shows that I liked they ended up cancelling with cliffhangers. Out of all the the streaming services I have/had it was the least bang for the buck for me since I want 4K. I was going to just cut down and maybe get it a few months a year and binge things I wanted to see, but even that I ended up not doing. My sister housesits for me a few times a year and logged onto her account on a couple of my Rokus, every once in a while I’ll check something out but not enough for me to get it myself.

Reactions: RobertoDLV and Huck

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Interesting how all the comments here are to the tune of “haha good” while the news was received as overwhelmingly positive by investors, with their stock blasting off in after hours.

I am frustrated with Netflix, too, but this isn’t the third nail in the coffin folks here seem to think it is.

Reactions: arkitect

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Unless you're a Marvel-head, Disney's content is even worse. And their bundle is only attractive because Disney gobbles up companies like candy.

Reactions: arkitect

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
charging for 4k?
in Germany they charge for 720p instead of sd. still with ads. (rtl, sat1, kabel1, pro7)
cheers from the old world
Well, considering almost no other service charges more for 4K in the US...

Reactions: Huck

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Macrumor forum posts: Netflix is crashing to the ground.

Netflix stock:

1658281037605.png

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I timed my cancellation for the end of Stranger Things 4… which honestly I thought wasn’t great. No interest in season 5 whenever it comes out (probably years from now). My reasons were mainly that it’s gotten way too expensive and I almost never watch it anymore. And I hate that it doesn’t integrate with the Apple TV app. Quality has definitely gone downhill. It feels like algorithm-driven shovelware now. Bad standup. Dumb reality junk. And “originals” that are just trash that they purchased and slapped their name on. Anything actually interesting or creative gets cancelled after 2 seasons because, even if it has good numbers, it’s no longer driving new subscriptions. AppleTV+ is 5 bucks and I was watching it 10X more than Netflix.

Reactions: a.phoenicis

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Price increase, dumb tiers vs other providers. I binned Netflix after the last price increase. Not going back, I’m able to acquire the few shows they make that interest me through other means.

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I honestly don’t even think to check Netflix these days for things to watch… when they started and were the only game in town, that was one thing. But now there are too many services with great quality content, and Netflix just hasn’t stepped up with the breadth and depth of quality, exclusive content.

At this point if the need arises to cancel one of the services we subscribe to, it will be Netflix, without a doubt.

Only reason we keep it is because my youngest still watches some of the cartoons on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: schneeland and Huck

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
sorry man , Netflix is still one of the better services out there, they are not going to crash and burn like it sounds you want them to.
You could have said that about blockbuster back in the day, now look at them. If Netlix don't change then there will always be someone else that may start up and put them out of business.

The pricing model is a load of crap, charging a premium for 4k while keeping a charged for 480p tier is insane for 2022.

Reactions: dominiongamma

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Netflix in the second quarter of 2022 lost 1.3 million subscribers in the United States and Canada, according to new data shared today during the company's earnings call. Netflix had 73.28 million paid memberships during the quarter, down from 74.58 million in the first quarter of 2022.

netflix3.jpg

With subscriber additions in some other areas, Netflix in total dropped 970,000 subscribers worldwide. That's more than the 200,000 customers that it lost in Q1 2022, but it is ultimately a win because Netflix was expecting to lose as many as 2 million subscribers.

Netflix has been raising its prices, which has resulted in some customers turning away from the service. In January, Netflix increased the prices for all of its plans. The basic standard definition plan went from $8.99 to $9.99, the Standard HD plan went from $13.99 to $15.49, and the 4K plan went from $17.99 to $19.99.

Despite the U.S. subscriber loss, revenue was up nine percent year over year, which Netflix says is the direct result of an increase in average revenue per membership. In the third quarter of 2022, Netflix is expecting to add one million subscribers.

Netflix blames its subscriber loss on connected TV adoption, account sharing, and competition, and to continue to improve revenue growth, the company says that it is focusing on evolving monetization.

A lower-priced ad-supported tier is in the works and is set to launch in early 2023, and the lower-cost plan could draw in some of the subscribers that have abandoned Netflix because of the rising costs. Netflix says that it is also working to monetize the 100 million+ households that are "currently enjoying, but not directly paying for, Netflix."

The company is aiming to find an "easy-to-use paid sharing offering" that can be rolled out in 2023. Right now, Netflix is experimenting with a $3 fee to add an additional household to a Netflix plan in Latin America.

Article Link: Netflix Lost 1.3 Million U.S. and Canadian Subscribers in Q2 2022
They are in the same crushing wave as Zoom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.