Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Netflix 'Shuffle Play' Feature Rolling Out to All Users Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is planning to roll out a new "Shuffle Play" feature to users this year following a successful period of testing, the company announced Tuesday during its Q4 2020 earnings.

Image via TechCrunch

Noting the feature briefly during the call, Netflix said it would give "members the ability to choose to instantly watch a title chosen just for them, versus browse."

According to TechCrunch, Shuffle Play places a big button on the Netflix home screen under the user's profile icon. When the button's selected, Netflix randomly plays content that the service's personalization algorithms think the user will like.

Content can include a movie that has recently been played, something saved to the user's watch list, or a title that is similar to something they've already watched, for example.

A variation of the feature has also been spotted in the TV app's sidebar navigation menu. When selected, the question "Not sure what to watch?" is displayed and the page goes on to explain how Shuffle Play works.

Shuffle Play is still only being tested on TVs right now, but the company said the feature, which may yet take another name, will reach all users worldwide sometime in the first half of 2021.

Shuffle Play is just the latest feature that Netflix has tested in search of a better way to connect users to something to watch. In April 2019 it began testing a feature on mobile that allowed users to "Play a Popular Episode" of certain TV shows, without having to scroll through and pick which one they want to watch.

Article Link: Netflix 'Shuffle Play' Feature Rolling Out to All Users Later This Year

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

alien3dx

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2017

Netflix is planning to roll out a new "Shuffle Play" feature to users this year following a successful period of testing, the company announced Tuesday during its Q4 2020 earnings.

Image via TechCrunch

Noting the feature briefly during the call, Netflix said it would give "members the ability to choose to instantly watch a title chosen just for them, versus browse."

According to TechCrunch, Shuffle Play places a big button on the Netflix home screen under the user's profile icon. When the button's selected, Netflix randomly plays content that the service's personalization algorithms think the user will like.

Content can include a movie that has recently been played, something saved to the user's watch list, or a title that is similar to something they've already watched, for example.

A variation of the feature has also been spotted in the TV app's sidebar navigation menu. When selected, the question "Not sure what to watch?" is displayed and the page goes on to explain how Shuffle Play works.

Shuffle Play is still only being tested on TVs right now, but the company said the feature, which may yet take another name, will reach all users worldwide sometime in the first half of 2021.

Shuffle Play is just the latest feature that Netflix has tested in search of a better way to connect users to something to watch. In April 2019 it began testing a feature on mobile that allowed users to "Play a Popular Episode" of certain TV shows, without having to scroll through and pick which one they want to watch.

Article Link: Netflix 'Shuffle Play' Feature Rolling Out to All Users Later This Year
thats me on netflix while apple tv+ err nothing to watch even free

Reactions: Huck and MrFootery
Comment

DrRadon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2008
"If you are so big of a looser that you can't even decide what to procrastinate with."

Netflix only wants your soul. In it's entirety.

I suggest that, on most of the days, you do what you actually want to instead of plugging your brain into nothingness. xD

Comment

nwcs

macrumors 68010
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Given all of Netflix’s recommendations to me are dubious at best, I don’t see any need to use this new feature. I’m sure the results will be worse than google‘s “I’m feeling lucky” option.

Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
I'm sure there'll be a lotta pushback on this, but they're essentially recreating one of the few good things about network TV; the lack of choice in programming usually makes it easier to decide what to watch when you just need to kill half an hour or want something on in the background while you work or eat.

A little over a year ago, Drew Gooden made a video suggesting a shuffle feature, and it sounds like it'd be great for movie nights.

Comment

EmotionalSnow

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
I'm sure there'll be a lotta pushback on this, but they're essentially recreating one of the few good things about network TV; the lack of choice in programming usually makes it easier to decide what to watch when you just need to kill half an hour or want something on in the background while you work or eat.

A little over a year ago, Drew Gooden made a video suggesting a shuffle feature, and it sounds like it'd be great for movie nights.

I am surprised no steaming service has introduced something like traditional TV channels, no need for selecting what to watch.

Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Issue will be that Netflix wouldn’t know if you want to spend a +2 hours movies night or just want to kill half an hour.

Yeah, they need a shuffle button under both the TV Shows and Movies tabs if they want this to catch on.

Reactions: iGüey
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.