NetFlix Snaps Into Standard Def

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by aaronvan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

BLUF: can I force my AppleTV to stick with the HD signal?

I’ve noticed recently that when I stream Futurama in HD from NetFlix, the picture will be HD during the credits, pause to bugger--I mean buffer--and then snap into standard def. I think it’s because the Apple TV decides that HD is too slow so it switches into standard def; however, this is appears to be a new “convenience” and I don’t like it. :mad:

I’m streaming via AirPort and/or MBA (not sure of the laptop comes into play while using NetFlix.)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make sure you login using a web browser and set your netflix quality to its highest. Also Netflix will lower the bitrate if your connection is too slow.

----------

Why are you streaming from a MacBook? Apple TV supports netflix.
    Make sure you login using a web browser and set your netflix quality to its highest. Also Netflix will lower the bitrate if your connection is too slow.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

yeah, why are you streaming to your Mac and then to the apple TV?

this creates a storm of wifi traffic killing the quality since all the devices have to filter each other's traffic out

4. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

ATV is having problems streaming HD for me too. The PS3 has no problems.

5. Imran27 macrumors newbie

I also have same problem with Netflix streaming after recent 6.0.2 update to Apple TV3

6. Football Dad macrumors newbie

Since updating the Apple TV firmware most Netflix material is streaming at SD.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

mine does HD, but i've noticed a lot of shows look better on my ipad 4 than on my TV

8. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

Wholly crap I thought It was just me! Thank god it's not. Ever since 6.0.2 I've been getting Super SD crap! It buffers every 5 to 10 minutes and never goes to HD or Super HD at all. Plus running a Network Test from the Settings yielded the ATV saying there is a Connection Issue when there isn't at all. I've reset the and restored the ATV and the Super SD crap still happens.

9. Football Dad macrumors newbie

Netflix in SD

I tested my other ATV. Same issue. Netflix is streaming in SD

10. tonyr6, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I got my ATV last month and performance on Netflix was excellent and flawless now last week it starts out great then drops down to fuzzy SD. Even a regular SD program Xena: Warrior Princess dropped down to low def fuzzy SD five minutes into it.

I though it was even my new switch gigabit HP switch and even hooked up my old gigabit Monoprice switch.

I since disconnected my ATV and I am using my PS3 again. I am also going to try the Roku 3 again since it has the same UI as the PS3.

11. Dan DRC macrumors member

I have experienced the same issue recently
    I thought it was because I was switched over to ATT Uverse the week before
    and it was a performance drop there but maybe it is an issue on Apple or Netflix side instead.

12. nws0291 macrumors 6502

My ATV3 is having the same issue. The stream never gets into HD and the picture is awful. My Tivo Roamio and Mini both stream full quality no problem. There is definitely something going on that is outside of our control.

13. Kenjancef macrumors regular

I THINK I'm having the same issue. For me, the picture is still HD, meaning it still fills my screen ok, but the picture quality is crap. It might start in HD quality, but then switches to crap. It's so noticeable that even my 6 year old son said "hey, why does the movie look funny...?" when we were watching a movie a few days ago. Netflix works fine on my PC and Blu-Ray player, and iPhone/iPad.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I used to have the same problem when Netflix initially launched here (Ireland), video would start off as HD but progressively became worse as it played on. My bandwidth was never a problem - 100Mbps connection.

I haven't upgraded to the latest ATV firmware, which might explain why HD is still playing fine for me (as of last night anyway).

15. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I have not touched my ATV since this problem started. I can't believe I am saying this but the Roku 3 is more reliable now.

16. tonyr6, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

ATV is crap now. Drops down to SD more now which it never use too do before. All started November 9th with v6.0.1. Why bother to update a channel to make it worse. I hate that more than anything. You update to improve not to break things then don't even bother.

My Babysitters a Vampire it buffered and never recovered and during the end of Iron Man Adventures it dropped down to SD (not low def) and after a couple of minutes ramped back up to Super HD.

I am only using the ATV now for YouTube and using the Roku 3 & PS3 for Netflix.

17. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Same problem here. ATV only runs at low-res, crap quality. I'm back to running Netflix from my Panasonic Bluray. Suckatude.

18. iPad Air macrumors regular

Wow, there are dark gray sky's in the world of ATV right now.:(

Anyway...I have had this exact issue when watching Netflix directly from there website on my 2011 MacBook Pro. It will start in crisp quality(in HD), then suddenly blur, would take a few minutes to clear up...quite annoying. I do not think this issue is necessarily directly related to iTV. Also, some people have already said it, when available bandwidth drops, quality is automatically cut by Netflix. HD really does require a good steady high amount of bandwidth to watch a movie all the way through.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here is the $64,000 question. Why doesn't Netflix download to the flash memory? I thought maybe Apple would not allow it but other Apps do like PBS.

When mine switches to SD I hit Menu (stop) and then Enter and Resume from last point (I think that is the wording??) and it will go back to HD.

20. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

The biggest problem is that the ATV only has a 1 minute buffer for any quality video on Netflix.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...wich goes back to my question. What does't Netflix stream to the 8GB (or more correctly the amount left over) FLASH like other Apps?

This would eliminate almost all SD switching during playback.

22. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I have the same issue with my Apple TV as well. Since the last update, all contents stream in lower resolution. I have already set Netflix to HD. I just use my Roku or connect my laptop via HDMI now. I think it's a firmware issue.

23. CraigM26 macrumors newbie

I'm having the issue on my ATV3 as well as the Netflix app on my Samsung TV. If I try Netflix on my iMac, HD isn't even an option even though the content is in HD. It seems to work on some days and not on others. I have no problems with Hulu Plus or any of the other apps in HD. My internet speed is not the issue. Very frustrating.

24. InTheAir macrumors regular

Same problem here, although it started with 6.0.1 for me.

Netflix resolution (via the Netflix website setup) has been set at both 'Best' and 'Auto', and I get the same SD (or worse).

The Netflix test video gives me 225 kbps to 750 kbps during prime time, although during lesser demand times, I can get up to 5800 kbps.

My internet (Comcast) is showing 28 Mbps download during these times (via Speedtest.net test) over WIFI, which is the same WIFI my ATV3 is connected to.

There is a thread on the subject at Apple Support, but so far no Apple participation: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5565870?start=75&tstart=0

25. Dan DRC macrumors member

This might be a dumb question but can I restore through the ATV3 menu
    with auto update disabled? Would this still just reload the 6.02 software.
    Some have said that the issue started with the 6.02 others have not.
    Just curious if I could try this.