Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is proceeding with its plan to discontinue its cheapest ad-free subscription tier, starting with the UK and Canada, with more countries inevitably to follow.

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

The streaming giant has reportedly begun notifying users via on-screen messages about the last day they can access the service unless they upgrade. One Reddit user shared a notification they had received from the Netflix app, saying: "Your last day to watch Netflix is July 13th. Choose a new plan to keep watching." Customers are being prompted to instead choose the cheaper Standard with ads, or the more expensive Standard or Premium 4K plans.

In the UK, users are being informed that their £7.99 per month Basic plan has been discontinued and that they can sign up to the Standard with adverts plan for £4.99 or pay £10.99 for the Standard plan. The £10.99 plan includes access to 1080p streams, viewing on two devices simultaneously, and downloads on up to two devices. Meanwhile, the Standard with adverts tier still offers 1080p video quality but of course injects ads into streams.

Canadian subscribers are also receiving notifications about the last viewing day for their Basic plan. In Canada, the price increase is more significant, rising from $9.99 for the Basic plan to $16.49 for the Standard plan. Alternatively, users can save $4 by going with the Standard with Ads plan ($5.99).

The Basic plan, which costs $11.99 per month in the United States, has not been available to new subscribers since last year. In its early 2024 earnings call, Netflix announced its intention to retire its Basic plan in some countries where the ads plan has been introduced, starting with Canada and the UK in the second quarter, and then "taking it from there." Netflix said in May that its ad-supported streaming tier has 40 million global monthly active users, up 35 million from a year ago.

Article Link: Netflix Starts Booting Subscribers Off Cheapest Basic Ads-Free Plan

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm starting to think streaming might start to feel a fight back from consumers. I know HMV here in the UK have picked up on physical sales of films. its only small but its interesting to see.

Digital purchases on iTunes are so cheap it's almost cheaper to just buy than stream in some instances. they've got films from £2.99 at the moment.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
they can seriously F off.

I am no longer able to use Netflix on my iPhone and iPad without sending myself a code (which is limited to a certain amount if I am not mistaken) because the stupid Apps claim that I am travelling even though I am at home. I think it is related to having logged into an Android TV in an AirBnB in Sweden in May (I logged out of the TV when we left).

I can only use it on my Apple TV for some reason. One of the reasons to go the legal route used to be "convenience" but clearly that is no longer the case.

lanomds1

macrumors member
May 19, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
The idea of paying to watch ads for me is insane. Even if it it only costs a 1 cent.

Capitalism at its finest.

edit: for those who disagree, well, keep defending a billionaire company while they charge you to watch ads the only moment you have to relax in your day while they increase their revenue and worsen your experience :)

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I am ont he cheapest plan and once I get that notification I will be canceling. I rarely watch anything on Netflix as it is, and have contemplated cancelling but usually I get hooked on some older series that I watch so it keeps me there. I certainly won't be paying more for it.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
they can seriously F off.

I am no longer able to use Netflix on my iPhone and iPad without sending myself a code (which is limited to a certain amount if I am not mistaken) because the stupid Apps claim that I am travelling even though I am at home. I think it is related to having logged into an Android TV in an AirBnB in Sweden in May (I logged out of the TV when we left).

I can only use it on my Apple TV for some reason. One of the reasons to go the legal route used to be "convenience" but clearly that is no longer the case.
Try logging in to the website and check the logged in devices and see if there are any devices logged in that are no longer with you like the Smart TV in Sweden...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I’m curious what people are paying for their streaming packages. We have Peacock, Netflix, Apple TV+, Max (paid by AT&T), Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+. All ad free. I never watch Prime, it’s just for the shipping.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
I’m curious what people are paying for their streaming packages. We have Peacock, Netflix, Apple TV+, Max (paid by AT&T), Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+. All ad free. I never watch Prime, it’s just for the shipping.

We (wife and I) have the Disney+ and Hulu plan, ad-free, for $19.99, but AMEX gives $7 back per month. Have Prime, too, and we watch it regularly, but don't pay extra for the ad-free version.

That's all.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Guess: that Sweden login is still active. Change your password to lock that out and then you won't seem to be "there" anymore to their system... because anyone at that AirBnB won't be able to use your subscription.

But isn't this kind of silly for Netflix to assume that every time you log in to another TV, it is your "home" like what if you are on a Eurotrip and change Hotel every 2 days. Aren't they going to block you eventually for changing your "home" too often (from their point of view)?

ttaylor2258

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
The idea of paying to watch ads for me is insane. Even if it it only costs a 1 cent.

Capitalism at its finest.

edit: for those who disagree, well, keep defending a billionaire company while they charge you to watch ads the only moment you have to relax in your day while they increase their revenue and worsen your experience :)
That's why I dumped Amazon when they forced the price hike for a worse experience. I've also actually never subscribed to Netlfix, so I don't even have to cancel! I'm old, I only used Netflix when they used to send me movies..

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

You'll be pleased to know that unless you cough up $3 more per month, Prime has ads now too. And I fully expect another price increase next year.

• Angry
Reactions: TMax and Jovijoker

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I'm starting to think streaming might start to feel a fight back from consumers. I know HMV here in the UK have picked up on physical sales of films. its only small but its interesting to see.

Digital purchases on iTunes are so cheap it's almost cheaper to just buy than stream in some instances. they've got films from £2.99 at the moment.

Won't be possible for long. And Blurays treat viewers like criminals anyway with unskippable ads and minutes-long piracy warnings.

Anticompetitive control in the US is a complete joke. Ever since Comcast bribed Meredith Atwell Baker to allow the NBC merger, all the content companies are also streaming companies. Nobody has any incentive anymore to release any media in any format that they do not entirely control playback and access to.

Why sell someone something once when you can rent it to them forever? Why just rent it forever when you can ALSO sell ads on it forever? User experience? What's that? Why would they care? Where else you gonna get video when they own it all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.