Netflix Tests Video Promos Between TV Show Episodes

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix is testing a new feature that adds video promos in between episodes of TV shows, Netflix confirmed to TechCrunch this afternoon.

The promos Netflix is showing to some users include full-screen personalized videos with content recommendations similar to Netflix recommendations available elsewhere on Netflix.

[​IMG]

According to TechCrunch, the promotional videos displace preview information for the next episode of a TV show, with title, description, and thumbnail no longer visible.

Many Netflix users on Reddit and Twitter who have the new video promos have been complaining about them, with multiple threats to cancel the service if Netflix does indeed introduce promotional videos.

TechCrunch says that this is not a feature that is rolling out to subscribers at this time, but is instead a test that Netflix is running to determine how to better promote content.

Still, a small percentage of Netflix's global audience is impacted by the test, which is ongoing.
    While some users have said the ads are not skippable, it does appear that customers are able to continue on with an episode at any time, bypassing the promotional video, a feature that has been confirmed by Netflix.

Article Link: Netflix Tests Video Promos Between TV Show Episodes

2. brian3uk macrumors 6502

yuck. absolutely not. ads are still ads even if they're for your own product.

3. compete12 macrumors member

4. moabal macrumors regular

That isn't a new "feature" it is a new nuisance.

5. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

they better offer a discount if you opt in to this "feature"

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

no. sitting through a netflix logo is probably the most i can handle.

7. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

Just... NO. I don't **PAY** for content so you can market to me. FAIL.

Besides.. I'm already buying your product. The very best outcome for this moronic scheme is to not run off customers.

8. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

No but you might be able to pay to remove the new nuisance :/

9. tricil macrumors member

10. lantree macrumors member

Sorry but I subscribe to Netflix for no interruptions, no adds.

11. slammer0 macrumors newbie

"full-screen personalized videos with content recommendations" => "ad"

MacRumors, please fix the wording

12. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

Looking forward to this months cheaper bill now that I am being marketed to.

13. KPandian1 macrumors 6502a

Currently OTA or basic cable programs advertise about their own network programs that annoy us so much that this is another reason to cut the cord; why does Netflix think this is a winner?

HBO and other premium channels do this too, after 51- 55 minutes of regular programming and we are captive audience there too.

I can record Showtime or OTA programs and skip these advertisements - can't do that with Netflix.

So, no to this Netflix. I will cancel and re-up just to make a point as many times as needed - so their 12 month fees can get down to 6 months or less a year.

An advertisement by any (other) name is still an advertisement. Go away.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

besides cable? besides internet? besides even apple with their software nags when you buy hw for say apple music, iCloud storage, etc?

15. kmm1482 macrumors newbie

They’ll do the opposite. If you no longer wish to see the ads it’s an additional 2.99 a month

16. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

These are called commercials, it’s full circle. We got Netflix to watch without commercials.

17. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

To follow everyone suit they will decide in what order you want to watch a tv season soon! Want to watch them in order? Forget it! We know better!

18. 4jasontv, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

4jasontv macrumors 65816

For me, one of the values Netflix offered was by streamlining the process between desire for content and accessing it. Every added step between those two points decreases the value of their product. At least for me. I have a Blu-ray player I don’t use in part because I’m forced to watch ads for ‘upcoming films’ every time I want use a disk I paid for.

I get that introducing users to content they enjoy increases the overall value of Netflix, but that’s only if the content is consumed at that moment. If the content is unwanted the event hurts the Netflix brand. If the content is wanted, but not at that moment, the value of the ad is offset by the annoyance of the interruption.

On top of that, Netflix still hasn’t figured out how to manage multiple users. Having profiles doesn’t work in my house since we don’t log out and back in when sharing focus with a screen. For example one person might watch one show while the other reads, and then switch activities back to back. I will be annoyed if I have to see ads for someone else just because they used my account one afternoon.

Figuring out what to offer users is a hard job. If you leave it up to me I might underestimate the value of your catalog, but if you take control and make suggestions, I’ll be frustrated if you get it wrong.

In the end, the goal of ads is to get me to watch more, and anything that slows me down when I want to watch something specific encourages me to investigate other streaming platforms.

A better idea might be to offer a Steam like Queue where I can decide when you will show me trailers and I can vote (at any time during the trailer) ‘save’, ‘seen’, or ‘skip for now.’ That way shows I like are easily accessible, and shows I don’t like now can be resuggested in the future when you have a better appreciation for what I/we enjoy.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I don't see the purpose. If I'm enjoying my current stream of content that I'm getting from your service, why interrupt it to have me watch another stream of content from your service?

I get promoting stuff when I'm browsing or when I've reached the end of the stream... that's a time when it's not obvious what I should watch next, when I might struggle to decide on what to watch next. Go ahead and pitch an idea to me, I'm open. But an ad between episodes of a show is just annoying.

20. hsoj1006, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018

hsoj1006 macrumors member

They are promoting other content within Netflix.

They aren't showing commercials. It is PROMOTIONAL VIDEO.

Example: You just watched an episode of The Office, now a video runs with the credits for Parks & Rec. Or you just watched Stranger Things and a video runs promoting Orange is the New Black.

Understand? They aren't commercials. They are PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS for their current content.

21. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    The purpose is more money for Netflix.

Like Apple, Netflix wants to make more and more money. When they try to charge more, the base flips out. So they are trying to find ways to make more money without charging more money. This is a classic way that has worked since the beginnings of television. Can it work here? Depends on the relative flip out of this vs. the flip out of higher subscription fees.

22. KPandian1 macrumors 6502a

Then, it's bye-bye Netflix.

23. HobeSoundDarryl, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    It only starts that way.

24. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Are you in the test program and have verified that you can't skip it? Because the article states that you can skip them.

25. 4jasontv, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018

4jasontv macrumors 65816

/s <— You dropped your tag.