Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest episode of popular horror series "Black Mirror" is available on Netflix today, but you're not going to want to watch it on the Apple TV.

"Bandersnatch," the new episode, is an interactive choose-your-own adventure style show where you make the decisions on how the story progresses. As it turns out, the interactive feature does not work on the Apple TV, Chromecast, the Windows App, or browsers using Silverlight.

According to a Netflix support document, its interactive content is limited to smart TVs, streaming media players, game consoles, iOS devices, and Android devices running the latest version of the Netflix app.

Those with Apple devices are going to want to use an iPhone, iPad, or web browser to watch "Bandersnatch" to get the full experience. If you try to watch on the Apple TV, you will see a message that the interactive content can't be displayed, with Netflix recommending that you watch on another device. From Netflix's website:
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is only available on devices that support interactive content. No linear version is available.

If you attempt to watch Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on a device that does not support interactive content, you will be instructed to switch to a supported device.
netflixbandersnatch-800x358.jpg

"Black Mirror: Bandersnatch" is available as of this morning on Netflix. You can make sure you're watching a the episode on a compatible device if you see a red badge in the corner of the display.

Article Link: Netflix's New Interactive 'Black Mirror: Bandersnatch' Episode Doesn't Work on Apple TV

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Does airplay from iOS to Apple TV work?

edit: it does not. Shows the opening then goes to a spinning wheel.

only thing I've found to work is MacBook > HDMI Cable > TV.

Last edited:

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Best way would be to plug your iPad or iPhone directly into the tv. I’m guessing mirroring the whole iPad display over AirPlay would work the same.

Reactions: Jammer005

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
This to me seems like an intentional design and artistic decision considering ‘black mirror’ refers to the reflective surface of a phone screen. So it would only make sense to make it available predominantly on mobile.

Reactions: KPandian1

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
This to me seems like an intentional design and artistic decision considering ‘black mirror’ refers to the reflective surface of a phone screen. So it would only make sense to make it available predominantly on mobile.

Yet its available on smart TV's and streaming devices for TV's... you're thinking way too much into it my friend

Davk87

Suspended
Oct 26, 2014
England
Not surprised. Apple TV is dead unless they integrate it into A TV set soon. Google have this sector nailed and it’s the only thing android I have in my house. Originally Brought an Apple TV for Netflix, then when I upgraded to a 4K tv, Id have to buy another, newer, Apple TV. Why would I do that when the TV comes bundled with 4K Netflix through google?

It’s dead as a hardware box.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Not surprised. Apple TV is dead unless they integrate it into A TV set soon. Google have this sector nailed and it’s the only thing android I have in my house. Originally Brought an Apple TV for Netflix, then when I upgraded to a 4K tv, Id have to buy another, newer, Apple TV. Why would I do that when the TV comes bundled with 4K Netflix through google?

I mean my TV comes bundled with Netflix and Hulu and stuff too, but it's hot garbage quality. Also, this isn't an inherent flaw with the Apple TV-- the Netflix app just doesn't support it. Apple doesn't write the Netflix app.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
‘black mirror’ refers to the reflective surface of a phone screen

I think it's open to interpretation, but I think "black mirror" refers to the reflective surface of any screen. Including television screens. Considering the show started in 2011, a bit before we really knew of the smartphone obsession, I actually think the original meaning was really limited to tv and computer screens, but evolved to include smartphone screens too.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
At its launch, it will be available in 27 languages to 137 million Netflix subscribers. The only notable devices excluded from running the interactive film at its launch will be Apple TV and Google Chromecast as Netflix didn’t have time to optimise the episodes for those platforms before its release. Regardless, Yellin is confident that the “vast majority” of Netflix customers will be able to access a device that can play the episode.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/bandersnatch-black-mirror-episode-explained

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016

As someone who own both a 4K tv and an Apple TV 4K the built in apps in the tv are trash and a lot of them don’t actually stream 4K content. It’s also Netflix responsibility to update their app

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Then why aren’t all the episodes only available on smart phones & tablets?

Reactions: Crow_Servo

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

Uh, no?

Having owned every black puck Apple TV, a Nexus Player, and two Nvidia Shields, unless you're slinging games from your GeForce-equipped PC, the Apple TV is the best box there is. As for the built-in menus on TVs, they're turds. Slow, don't deliver 4K (and I'd wager HDR is out of the question as well), and they just have bad GUIs.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I wish you could download for offline viewing but I imagine that file would be huge. Would have been fun to watch on the plane.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.