Netflix's New Interactive 'Black Mirror: Bandersnatch' Episode Doesn't Work on Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest episode of popular horror series "Black Mirror" is available on Netflix today, but you're not going to want to watch it on the Apple TV.

"Bandersnatch," the new episode, is an interactive choose-your-own adventure style show where you make the decisions on how the story progresses. As it turns out, the interactive feature does not work on the Apple TV, Chromecast, the Windows App, or browsers using Silverlight.

According to a Netflix support document, its interactive content is limited to smart TVs, streaming media players, game consoles, iOS devices, and Android devices running the latest version of the Netflix app.

Those with Apple devices are going to want to use an iPhone, iPad, or web browser to watch "Bandersnatch" to get the full experience. If you try to watch on the Apple TV, you will see a message that the interactive content can't be displayed, with Netflix recommending that you watch on another device. From Netflix's website:
    [​IMG]

"Black Mirror: Bandersnatch" is available as of this morning on Netflix. You can make sure you're watching a the episode on a compatible device if you see a red badge in the corner of the display.

Article Link: Netflix's New Interactive 'Black Mirror: Bandersnatch' Episode Doesn't Work on Apple TV

2. ButteryScrollin, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018

ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Does airplay from iOS to Apple TV work?

edit: it does not. Shows the opening then goes to a spinning wheel.

only thing I've found to work is MacBook > HDMI Cable > TV.

3. JeffreyNewland macrumors newbie

JeffreyNewland

Sounds like an app update is in the works/delayed.

4. Crow KC macrumors member

Crow KC

I would guess no. AirPlay is designed for linear streaming of content; it does not mirror the screen and play in both places. This is not linear content.

5. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

Best way would be to plug your iPad or iPhone directly into the tv. I’m guessing mirroring the whole iPad display over AirPlay would work the same.

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well damn, there goes my plans for tonight.

7. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

This to me seems like an intentional design and artistic decision considering ‘black mirror’ refers to the reflective surface of a phone screen. So it would only make sense to make it available predominantly on mobile.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

That’s a top-shelf-tin-of-beans reach there, buddy.

9. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

does not work.

10. displayblock macrumors member

Except it’s available on Android TV boxes, most Smart TVs, Roku, PS4, Xbox One, etc.

11. CheesePuff macrumors 6502a

Yet its available on smart TV's and streaming devices for TV's... you're thinking way too much into it my friend

12. Davk87 Suspended

Davk87

Not surprised. Apple TV is dead unless they integrate it into A TV set soon. Google have this sector nailed and it’s the only thing android I have in my house. Originally Brought an Apple TV for Netflix, then when I upgraded to a 4K tv, Id have to buy another, newer, Apple TV. Why would I do that when the TV comes bundled with 4K Netflix through google?

It’s dead as a hardware box.

13. AngerDanger, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Bandersnatch? Finally a TV series named after the sound I make when I try to remember this person's name:

Benedict+Cumberbatch+Hobbit+Battle+Five+Armies+xUU9bvuD064l.jpg

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I mean my TV comes bundled with Netflix and Hulu and stuff too, but it's hot garbage quality. Also, this isn't an inherent flaw with the Apple TV-- the Netflix app just doesn't support it. Apple doesn't write the Netflix app.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think it's open to interpretation, but I think "black mirror" refers to the reflective surface of any screen. Including television screens. Considering the show started in 2011, a bit before we really knew of the smartphone obsession, I actually think the original meaning was really limited to tv and computer screens, but evolved to include smartphone screens too.

16. McG2k1 macrumors regular

Looking forward to 2-3 years from now when Apple innovates again and brings interactive TV into the home for the very first time. In the world. Ever.

17. cjake macrumors regular

At its launch, it will be available in 27 languages to 137 million Netflix subscribers. The only notable devices excluded from running the interactive film at its launch will be Apple TV and Google Chromecast as Netflix didn’t have time to optimise the episodes for those platforms before its release. Regardless, Yellin is confident that the “vast majority” of Netflix customers will be able to access a device that can play the episode.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/bandersnatch-black-mirror-episode-explained

18. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Meh, looks crappy anyway. “OMG WHAT if video games were real guize?? What if in you die in the game, you DIE IN REAL LIFE OMAIGAA!!”

19. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

Does that go for just plain screen mirroring as well?

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Oh, you mean Battlefield Counciltax? Or was it JohnMcClane Gruberdrop?

21. decypher44, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018

decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Did someone say “works on Roku”? Yay!!! Love, love my Roku Ultra.

22. Remy149 macrumors regular

As someone who own both a 4K tv and an Apple TV 4K the built in apps in the tv are trash and a lot of them don’t actually stream 4K content. It’s also Netflix responsibility to update their app

23. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Then why aren’t all the episodes only available on smart phones & tablets?

24. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Uh, no?

Having owned every black puck Apple TV, a Nexus Player, and two Nvidia Shields, unless you're slinging games from your GeForce-equipped PC, the Apple TV is the best box there is. As for the built-in menus on TVs, they're turds. Slow, don't deliver 4K (and I'd wager HDR is out of the question as well), and they just have bad GUIs.

25. 0970373 Suspended

I wish you could download for offline viewing but I imagine that file would be huge. Would have been fun to watch on the plane.