Never ask for opinions on a forum...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glossywhite, Mar 9, 2011.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Never ask for opinions on a forum - you may as well be spinning the biggest roulette wheel in the world. Having been a member of LOTS of forums for many years, I find that forums are the biggest cause of internet related stress.

You may waltz in all innocent and hopeful, but then leave in a rage - that's no good for anyone. If you must use the internet for asking opinions, try asking physical people whom you can actually see and HEAR in the flesh, or those you know, before using the 'net as a LAST resort. I'm not kidding you when I tell you that the good old 'nets caused my blossoming photography hobby to die an early death - too many "photographic experts" with their tuppence worth to say about how to take "the perfect picture" (and none of the opinions ever agreed!).

I have been meaning to post this for yonks - this has been a mistake I have made many a time, and I hope I have now learnt my lesson. We humans got by with making decisions perfectly well before this so-called "revolution" of the internet, and it's high time we continued using our common sense and intuition, instead of leaning on randoms online & Google etc.

Thanks for listening... feel free to agree, I won't respond - this is a ONE WAY post ^_^

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Did someone get his feelings hurt recently?
    Your post, if one-sided, is fully pointless.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I disagree, the internet IS serious business afterall...just like daytime television

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha, I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

You don't really know anyone on forums. Asking for opinions here is kind of like asking a stranger at your local gas station for opinons, money, etc.

On the forum, it's pretty much every man, women and child for themselves.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Never ask for opinions on a forum if you already know what you want the answer to be.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Words of wisdom.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

should I buy now or wait? ... opinions anyone?

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Isn't this the truth!!!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, stress??? This isn't Little League, not everyone gets a trophy.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If it's your passion and hobby, and you are a secure, mature adult, you will take criticism (whether in person or over the internet) with a grain of salt. No one can kill your passion but you.

As for opinions, like a******s, everyone has one and no one thinks theirs stinks.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I gave up PRSI for lent. I'm happier already.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This place has been a little different over time.

Been here seven years and have made the effort to have met probably about 60 forum members in person, possibly more, including a handful of moderators, both active and retired... and this includes two people who have posted in this thread. If they give me an opinion on the iPad or photography or anything in life, I tend to closely listen to what they have to say. They may not always know it, but they're important people to me.

For some here, MacRumors has literally changed their lives. People have met on here, got married, had kids. This is why you'll sometimes find opinions running fairly high about what takes place around here.

When you get away from the rumour and news threads, the buying threads, the should I wait threads, the bickering over accessories and hacks... there's a core community that have been Apple customers for a very long time — creative, talented — and many of them like to still think different: the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes. Many of them have ponied up hundreds of dollars towards MacRumors over the years to support its activities.

Strengthening and expanding that community, embracing its diversity and its rough edges should be an unspoken mission statement of MacRumors, lifting it into a rare orbit that isn't just another tech site... because these days, they're ten a penny.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Time to Wait is Now!

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hmmmm......

Attached Files:

15. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Wow! You're a one man cliche machine eh?

I wasn't gonna reply to this post, but what you said made me cringe... then sigh. No offence given, even if you take it. :)

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Being mistaken in the idea that what I wrote was in response to you, I'm fairly confident that you don't have the slightest idea of the thread of my post, nor do you have any idea of how much history is folded into it. So no, no offence taken at all. If you're cringing and sighing, then I suspect that forums still have a place to affect you. Anyone seriously making your argument would just walk away from online life, instead of making an attention-seeking post about forums on a forum.

But after all:

In this instance, we should perhaps heed your words.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Does said rule apply to other forms of inquiry, communication, relationship, and interaction?

Never ask for opinions...

on the phone?

through email or snail mail?

in a text?

via morse code?

I'm just wanting to clarify if it's the mode of communication or the people who respond that are the concern?

If it is the fact that forum interaction involves strangers then I'm confused even more. At some point isn't everyone, except maybe your family, a stranger to you? I mean you don't "know" the doctor before your first visit to the office, you don't "know" the mechanic before your first visit to the shop, and you don't "know" your best friends before you meet them for the first time. All relationships have a starting point, including online ones.

Oh, one last thing, if the difficulty is that while online people have been rude, unhelpful, or critical towards you, well... the fact of the matter is that people act they way when they are face to face as well. Sometimes people act like selfish jerks, that's just life and it happens to all of us. You're in for a lot of frustration if you get upset every time someone doesn't respond to you in the way you think they should.

Hang in there and try not to let things bother you so much.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i would most certainly wager that any opinion communicated through morse code nowadays, should be given maximum and undivided attention.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

.-- .... --- .-.. . .... . .- .-. - . -.. .-.. -.-- / .- --. .-. . . -.. .-.-.- / . ...- . -. / -... . - - . .-. --..-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. -. / - .... .- - / --- .-.. -.. / -- .- -.-. .-. ..- -- --- .-. ... / ... - .- -. -.. -... -.-- --..-- .. -. ...- .. ... .. - . -..- - .-.-.-

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can’t believe you wrote that on a forum! :D

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

why did I read this crap...

why did I reply....

:(

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Well played my friend and I completely agree. Too bad some won't get it, because it's hysterical. :D

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Morse code!?

Many years ago at summer camp a friend and I learned Morse Code together so we could communicate with each other after lights out by tapping messages while lying in our bunks. Yeah, I know, I'm a geek :D

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because it’s like a train wreck.

25. Rt&Dzine, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Opinions? Sure, why not.*

Advice? Don't ask.*

*These are not opinions, they are fact!**
    ** This is an opinion.***
    ***This is a fact.