iPad Never owned an iPad: Air or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HoosBruce, Oct 28, 2013.

1. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

SSIA. I have never owned an iPad, but will definitely buy one within the next year. I was wondering what everyone thought as far as if I should go ahead and get the new Air model, or wait for the next release? With all of the negative blowback I have been hearing about the Air, I figured waiting another sic months to a year may be worth it. It is not imperative for me to have one NOW, but within a year it would be perfect. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am not sure why you would put any weight on "negative blowback" about a product people don't really have their hands on.

If you want an iPad now, get the current gen. It is a very nice iPad.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It's your money so it's your decision :D. Most places have pretty good return policies so you might buy one and then return it if you decide you don't like it.

A year from now, people will be telling you to wait for another year before purchasing. iPads have good resale so buy it now and then sell it when you see something new you like.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would get the one right now. Don't want to hold your breath for too long.

5. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

The tablet hasn't even been released, so the negativity about the tablet pretty much means nothing. I'm not waiting another year for a few more features like touch ID. It's not even worth it.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

What negative "blow back" ? I've not heard of any. I'm sure overall it will be a solid product like all Apple hardware. Personally I wouldn't bother waiting if I were you. With that kind of thinking you could be waiting forever.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure what SSIA is. Oops, just googled and now know.

Buy now or later. Age old question with technology stuff that gets updated annually. If you can use it and/or want it, buy it now.

Most "negative" about the Air is really not negative. Just some people wanted more. Some want it be a toaster and slice bread. Wait and see how millions they sell over the next quarter.

8. N23 macrumors regular

There's always going to some thing new on the horizon,
    if we kept holding out for the next best thing we'd never own anything.

Just pick it up and try it out for yourself, if you don't like it, return it.
    If you like it and end up keeping it, you can always sell it for whatever Apple decides to release next.

9. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback...I was thinking along the same lines as far as keeping on waiting for new additions...I will probably wait until after Christmas and see how everyone is liking the new ones, and see which GB I can afford.

10. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

never understood how a product that hasn't been released yet can have negative reviews. regardless im sure the next 2 new ipad will be great. if you have the money and want an ipad now than buy it now. if not then wait. in the end its your money and your concern. good luck.

11. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

If you do not already own one of these nice devices... it is time for a change. Now!

12. Macalway macrumors 68020

Negative blowback?

First of all, blowback occurs after the fact, which hasn't occurred, so this is moot

but to answer your question; you need to buy one.

13. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess by that I meant some of the negative posts around here, other sites, etc that I had read about the Air not having this or that feature, having the same specs as the Mini (besides screen size), among others...I will certainly wait and see what happens once they are released, which I expect to be massive approval all around, but couldn't help but notice what some had said prior to launch

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

If you already own a 4th gen, folks ponder if they should go for the Air or wait. You aren't in that boat, your decision is the Mini or Air. Try both.

15. mrjackal macrumors newbie

For me, the iPad does all I want/expect it to do. The way I use it, I am not too interested in a USB port or things of that nature. I use it to consume web and video content and, to a far lesser degree, as an e-reader. I have an iPad 2 and haven't felt the need to upgrade to the new generations. I'll get an iPad Air because I feel this represents a big enough leap from the 2 to finally splurge on it.

They'll always be a new one "right around the corner," so at some point you just have to take the plunge and buy whatever the latest is now and trust it will get you by for a few years. The fact of the matter is, I could live with my iPad 2 for a year or two more, but this is as good a time as any for me to upgrade.

16. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

it will be an Air or nothing for me...I want the bigger screen...I just wish that the $499 got me a 32gb :mad:

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you are waiting for universal approval of any product to buy it, you will be very wealthy as you will buy nothing.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

If you want one, buy it. If you don't, wait.

I am upgrading from my iPad2 which has been an awesome companion. I thought about waiting for the iPad 6 but I am guessing the only difference would be a price drop of $100 for the size I want and maybe some minor tweaks. The Air is a major revision so I'd recommend it. If you are cautious and aren't sure if there will be problems, then you could wait.

Interesting thing is that I bought a Macbook Retina last year and I just saw that people are having problems with the latest Macbook (which may be the 3rd? iteration). So it isn't always true that the first generation has problems which would be fixed in later generations.

19. Macalway macrumors 68020

Wait, there's something about that :D

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You will hear negative stuff about the next iPad also, so no, it won't be "worth it". There are always unhappy people, consider they are blowing negatively on a product they haven't even put their hands on. :rolleyes: You can't please everybody.

The only person you need to concern yourself with is... well, you. What do you need a tablet for? Will any of the available tablets fir YOUR needs? Do you like Apple products? Do you own a Mac? Do you like iOS or OSX? Consider those things when deciding whether to get an iPad or not.

Today, if choosing between the new arrivals, you need to think - do I like the little one or the bigger one?

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Every model gets a bunch of blowback from some segment of people who don't like it.

You could give away free ice cream here on MR and a bunch of people will complain that the giveaway svcks because you didn't have their favorite flavor.

Wait to buy until you need it. (or the "want" is sufficiently strong).

There's ALWAYS a new model coming in "just a few months", so unless you're within a few weeks of a new model release don't fret about that else you'll be waiting forever.

22. Spacial macrumors 6502

Nothing's perfect, no matter the brand. Buy now you will be happy with the choice.

23. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had a Macbook Pro for almost 7 years...bought a new one 2 years ago...and an iPhone for 3 years (currently have the 5S), so yes i love Apple products, and have been wanting an iPad for years, just haven't had the excuse to buy one until now. I am planning on using a tablet mostly for convenience and usage while traveling as well as other uses I feel will be better served on an iPad than an iPhone.

----------

yea, I figured the next one wouldn't come out until after the iPhone 6 sometime around this same time next year, and I think I will be better served having one well before that time

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then you are a prime candidate for the iPad. The question is, do you like the big one or the little one? :D

I obviously haven't handled them, although I do currently own the Mini. I plan on buying the Air, and I am hoping they have reduced it enough in size and weight that I will be tempted to keep it. I absolutely love the size and weight of the mini, so I am a Retina Mini candidate, but I am tempted by the slightly larger screen. Since both are speced the same, it is a matter of personal preference.

Hope you get one!

25. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will be getting the Air if I decide to get one...I just love the bigger screen. The next thing will be finding the best deal on one. I know that around the holidays/Black Friday, some stores put them on discount, but not sure if/when that will happen this time around. Has Apple EVER discounted them? I feel like I remember seeing them for like $10 off once lol.