New $10 YouTube Music Service to Launch Next Week, Replacing Google Play Music

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google is launching YouTube Music next week, shortly followed by YouTube Premium - a revamped version of its ad-free YouTube Red subscription service with a renewed focus on original programming. Announced on Wednesday in a blog post, the shake-up in services represents a splitting of the original YouTube Red subscription model, which gave users both ad-free music streaming and access to original video content for $10 a month.

[​IMG]

The new YouTube Music-only service will also cost $10 a month and replaces Google Play Music - existing subscribers will be migrated automatically (that includes non-paying users who have purchased music via Google Play or used the service to upload tracks and playlists). The rebranded service includes personalized playlists, intelligent search, support for background playback and music downloads for offline listening.

The streaming service will also remove ads from music videos, but not the rest of YouTube. An ad-supported version of YouTube Music will be available for free. As part of the launch, Google is promising a "reimagined" mobile app and desktop player that's "designed for music".
    [​IMG]

YouTube Premium, meanwhile, will cost $12 a month, and includes all the benefits of YouTube Music plus access to original shows as well as ad-free viewing for all of YouTube. The extra $2 over the original YouTube Red subscription will pave the way for more YouTube Originals from around the globe, featuring comedies, dramas, reality series, and action adventure shows from the U.K., Germany, France, Mexico, and more. Existing YouTube Red members will continue to pay the current price for YouTube Premium, however.

[​IMG]

YouTube Music and launches on Tuesday, May 22 in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and South Korea, rolling out to more countries in the following weeks. They will include Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

YouTube Premium will roll out "soon" in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and South Korea, later followed by Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: New $10 YouTube Music Service to Launch Next Week, Replacing Google Play Music

2. graywolf323 macrumors member

graywolf323

ugh I wish they would give me the choice of a cheaper tier that just allowed background play and removed ads :-/ I'd gladly pay $5 a month for that

3. calstanford macrumors member

Does Google ever know what they want?
    Why would anyone sign up for this as I am sure it will be replaced by something else within a year anyway.

4. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

It's one of the downsides of how Google does things. Their employees are quite free to take up their own projects for a portion of their working day, but the problem is that you end up with piles of projects, most of which get abandoned in short order. Good for the employees, but kinda torches their reputation.

5. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

Next year it will be called [Google Logo]Music.

6. Xenc, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Been waiting for this in the UK for years! It’s a shame we can’t take advantage of the Red-to-Premium pricing but it’s better than nothing.

May 22*

7. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

I get all that for free anyway and have done for years.

8. urtules macrumors regular

urtules

That’s cool, so what do you do to support your favourite artists?

9. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

You can use the Dolphin X browser app for background play.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

As a Google Play Music subscriber, would love it if Google actually informed me what the hell is going on, not MacRumors!!

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

It sounds like they will keep Google Play Music around and all the tracks you have uploaded until they have successfully transitioned enough users to the new YT music service. Then they kill Google Play Music and tell all its remaining users they must now use YT Music.

I wonder how long Apple will keep supporting the iTunes Match service that is also included with Apple Music? I believe Amazon has recently dumped their music upload cloud storage offering. It's probably not cheap to run, and licensing fees are paid for matching user uploads with already stored tracks.

12. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Going to concerts and buying songs/album only when I really like them.

The free tier from Spotify is great, I'd like it on Apple music as well. And I'd probably pay the 5$ fee they charge for students if I could. I don't feel like spending $10 each and every month since I can listen a lot of stuff for free with a little bit of ads every now and then

13. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

Can I just remove ads from normal videos for like $5/month? I don't care about your music or original programming Google.

14. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

15. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

Of course, none of the premium money goes to the content creators that actually make YouTube. So hey, we’re going to demonetize you for specific viewers and now collect all the revenue for ourselves.

16. Johnny London macrumors member

17. Zimmy68, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

The difference with iTunes Match is that Apple just checks out music already on their servers (at least 80% of the time).

Google Play and Amazon has to host everyone's music. So there could be 1 million mp3s of "Louie Louie" on their servers, with Apple, just one.

I still think Eddy Cue and his band of morons will think of a way to kill it.

Oh, and hey YouTube, how about a $5 tier for ad free and make me watch ads on your premium content, because I don't care about your premium content!
    I don't go to YouTube to see Logan Paul jumping on a trampoline and pay $12 a month.

18. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

Can I download music videos uploaded by VEVO with this?

19. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

20. err404 macrumors 68020

So the existing service is $2 more a month. Not a big deal, but I have no interest in the originals they are funding through this (or Google Music for that matter). I just want ad free Youtube. They are starting to price themselves out for what I am interested in.

21. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

This will be good for Spotify as Google Play users will be confused as hell why they're now paying for something called YouTube, and if there is a price hike, will probably ditch the new YT Music and go to Spotify.

I think it's a bad move. Like how Amazon Prime keeps adding "value" and increasing the price, not everyone wan't all that new "value".

We shall see.

22. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

any mention of the family plan?

I'm on the Google Play Music family plan - up to five family members get Google Play Music and You Tube Red for $14.99 per month. Its a pretty good deal.

So.....?

23. Regime2008 macrumors 6502a

Regime2008

Google play music comes with YouTube red already...

24. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Yeah, please tell me how my friends bands can use their imaginary internet monopoly money when their van breaks down in the middle of nowhere, Iowa to call a tow truck.

25. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

I too have wondered about this. From a strictly financial perspective it's probably better for Apple to drive everyone to Music in the long run. However, regardless of how we feel about that it totally misses the bigger picture. Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Music and all the others give us great access to millions of songs... all from the same very large group of artists. But what about the music we can't get on these streaming services?

I've bought CD's of non-mainstream artists that simply aren't available on any of these services. What about them? What about local bands? What about music I make myself? There are just too many scenarios for any of these music services to cover unless they are also willing and able to allow me to inject my own music.