New 12" MacBook Strictly For Windows - Powerful Enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boltjames, May 12, 2015.

1. boltjames, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

When it comes to iOS devices, I'm an Apple guy but when it comes to my PC I'm a Windows guy, just too much of my work life fits comfortably there.

I've been a Sony VAIO guy for decades as they made the slimmest/lightest notebooks for Windows but now they're done and sold the brand to the Chinese.

I'm giving very serious consideration to dumping my 2 year old Sony PRO 13 ultrabook for a new MacBook but before I do I could use your help in understanding if the MacBook has enough RAM and processing power to run Windows under Bootcamp exclusively- I'll never use the Apple OS.

Any other Windows users move over to the new MacBook? Everything working well and with good speed or is my strategy no good? I'm coming from a 2013 Sony PRO 13 with an i5 processor, 8 gigs of RAM, SSD, etc.

TIA

BJ

2. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

So you are leaving Sony brand because they 'sold the brand to the Chinese'?

Am confused why this is an issue ......besides MacBooks are made in China.......or why you want to ditch a machine you say is working perfectly well for your needs.

I can't really help you technically but given I find the transition to windows laptops at work really difficult I think you might be best sticking to Windows if that is what you intend to run on an rMB. I use a windows PC at work and MacBook/iMac at home but find it really hard to adjust to windows laptops. Maybe because I don't use them often and don't find them as intuitive as macs.

Aside from getting a beautiful machine you may not be getting full value for the premium you will pay for a MacBook. Though I dare say you may come to love the rMB quite quickly. Also I am perfectly happy to pay a premium for a good looking, well designed, ultra light notebook so you may be too. I use my Macs perfectly well for work (predominantly MS Office) and find no problem with integration.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

So, you're going to buy an Apple laptop just to not run Apple's operating system? Their operating system is the main reason to even have a MacBook. I think you will fair better with a Lenovo. Their laptops are probably the best available with a Windows OS.

Why buy a MacBook if you're just going to run Windows? Makes zero sense.

4. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

If your question is simply, "Can the Macbook run Windows?" the answer is, "Yes, of course it can."

There are many Windows notebooks out there with very similar specs to the Macbook (Lenovo Yoga Pro, Asus Zenbook, and many others) which all can come with a hi-res display, Core M processor and similar memory/storage options. Reviews of those machines should give you a good idea about Windows performance on the Macbook.

5. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

The rMB will be a downgrade in terms of processing power compared to your Vaio; the Core M isn't up to par with (let alone better than) an i5 from 2013.

The rMB will however be lighter, cooler and its SSD is likely much faster.

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Why not? Some of us like the hardware and design, but not the OS. I have never run OS X on any of my Apple laptops.

With regards to the question, the Macbook should be capable of running Windows with no problem. CPU performance would not be as good as the Sony, but that may not be an issue depending on your needs.

7. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

MacBook performance with Windows

Here is a great article that I think can give you a great idea of how the MacBook will perform with windows. Note that the Lenovo Yoga 3 is running the 1.2ghz Intel Core M and the MacBook is only running the 1.1ghz in these tests.http://www.anandtech.com/show/9136/the-2015-macbook-review/10

8. madat42 macrumors regular

Just my opinion - you get a Mac to run Mac OS first. Other OS's run on a Mac through Bootcamp or virtual machine, will come with some compromise. If you are only about running Windows, I'd look at the MS Surface series. Great hardware, optimized for Windows.

9. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

One more thing, the Lenovo Yoga 3 isn't fanless. The Asus Zenbook ZX305 is fanless.

10. lch6257 macrumors member

To each there own, but that is like buying a Tesla and having a gasoline motor installed...Sure, it can work, but why would you want to? Bite the bullet, Unix based OS are superior to windows in just about every way, but I will offer you one way that will make your life better...Registry. No such thing on a Unix machine. You life will be improved by getting rid of the antique virus sponge that is the registry. This in my opinion is there to ensure that virus companies can stay in business (probably the ones creating the viruses and hijacks to begin with). Good luck, but don't waste the cash on this...Get a lenovo as suggested or go all in, your life will be easier for making the change.

11. palmsnipe macrumors newbie

Hum, i'm not sure the rMB can beat the Vaio Pro 13 on the SSD speed. The SSD of the Vaio Pro is crazy fast.

Tomorrow I should receive the rMB, and as I also have the Vaio Pro 13 i7 8gb / 256 SSD, I can compare the 2 laptops and take also some pictures.

However, I don't plan to install windows through bootcamp, but with Parallels or VMWare.

The main thing that will change the life of Vaio Pro owners, it's to don't hear the fan :) . Since I bought the Vaio Pro, I decided to never buy a computer with a fan. I don't know for you, I think it made me crazy with that. The Vaio Pro is a very good computer, one of the best design of laptops, light, nice screen, ports, fast ... but the worst cooling system I ever had .. and heard.

Like others, I'm not sure to buy the rMB and just use Windows is a good thing. Apple just probide the basic drivers, it works, but you won't have a great experience as on OSX.
    If you really want to use only Windows, it's better to buy an other computer. Or you can also wait the SP4. The latest rumors sait it come fanless, and it should be presented this month.

12. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

I admit I hadn't looked closely and assumed it was a slower SSD in the Vaio; it's a M.2 PCIEe drive topping at 1 GB/sec.. yeah, it's plenty fast indeed.

13. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Is this even true? VAIO is now owned by Japan Industrial, which is based in Tokyo. I don't see any indication the company is Chinese now: https://vaio.com/corporate/

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

VAIO is owned by a Japanese investment company.

A 12" MacBook to just run Windows is a ridiculous idea. Just get a Surface. Oh wait, they are made in China. So that brings you back to the Mac, which is made in China.

If you want the best ultrabook on the planet to run Windows, get a Gen 3 ThinkPad X1 Carbon. It's made in China though ;)

15. calganelle macrumors member

I have both the Surface and the rMBP as well as the rMP for different reasons. I'd say if you want the Windows OS I would go for the Surface... I have the Surface 3 (not Pro 3) but I hear the Pro 4 will be great.

16. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Every 2 years I treat myself to a new notebook and it's time.

Nothing against the Chinese.....I meant to say that Sony sold the VAIO division to another company that likely won't care as much about the engineering and styling and I don't want to be an early adopter/guinea pig to find out.

I find the new MacBook super thin and light with an amazing retina display but I'm a Windows guy and just want it to run Windows. Best form factor for me, best operating system for me. That's what I think a MacBook plus Windows may be.

BJ

----------

That's exactly right. I'm thinking of buying an Apple laptop just to not run Apple's operating system and run Windows instead.

I don't like the way the Lenovo's look and they aren't light either. I want something light and cool and slim to take on my lengthy business trips, so as long as the new 12" MacBook can run Windows effectively I'm very much in that place right now.

BJ

----------

Thanks, but that said, if I am not a gamer and I don't run any intense processing programs will I notice a difference?

I'm a businessman in a hotel room. I'm streaming football games from my Slingbox, I'm checking Outlook, I'm running Powerpoint, I'm watching YouTube videos. Very little multi-tasking.

BJ

17. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Instead of being a division within Sony, which makes everything from audio equipment to TVs to cameras to game consoles, VAIO now makes one thing: VAIO computers (plus one smartphone, released last month). They definitely care about the engineering and styling; the whole reason for the investors to buy the brand and limit sales to Japan was that the VAIO name has a high brand value there.

The first designs released after the company went independent were based directly on their Sony predecessors.

I ended up ordering a retina MacBook instead of the VAIO Pro 11 or VAIO Z I was considering, but it didn't have anything to do with the company changing hands.

18. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

If you're a "Windows guy" - buy one of the bazillion of PC laptops out there. There are even some semi-decent ones out there, like the latest Dell XPS 13.

While Apple still marginally supports BootCamp - the hardware (especially Trackpad) won't work with Windows as well as they work with MacOS. I also see Apple dropping BootCamp support completely at some point, as it's not really needed by most of their customers.

Buying Apple hardware with the intent to run Windows 100% of the time is pure insanity in my opinion.

19. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I should be fine.

The Vaio 13 has a really bad screen even compared to the MBA. Be prepared for a shock!

I understand your frustrations with Sony. It looks like they are releasing the Z again, but with a U processor. :(

The rMBPro is about the same form factor you have now and has WAY better performance all around. That would be my choice in Apple laptop with Retina screen to run Windows full time. If retina is not a deciding factor, get a 13" Air.

20. Dekimasu macrumors regular

The weight is 1.34 kg and the battery is rated 15-20 hours (!) so I don't think using the U is a big problem. The screen is 2560x1440 but I don't know about the actual display quality.

21. palmsnipe macrumors newbie

You really feel that about the Vaio Pro screen ? It's one of the best screens I ever seen on laptops, and when I looking the other computers, only the SP3 and retina displays are in the same level. Maybe you talk about the one without touch screen ?

22. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Im comparing it to my Sony Vaio SVZ.

Now thats a screen! :)

----------

The U is a problem. The SVZ used a Quad M processor.

Thats what blows my mind when people say the rMBP 13" could not handle a Quad processor.

Look at the SVZ, then look at the rMBP 13". Its painfully obvious Apple is just being too controlling and not giving people a very viable option in the 13"

23. Dekimasu macrumors regular

I feel really weird defending VAIO to this extent when I've never even bought one, but their new computers are also made in Japan:

("With domestic design, domestic manufacture, and domestic assembly, the VAIO company showed its true commitment to the real meaning of 'made in Japan' through it first laptop 'VAIO Z'" etc. etc.)

24. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

The Z series has always been produced in Japan. However, their other lines have been produced in other parts of the world.

Just because an investment firm purchased the Vaio line does not mean they are going to deviate from Sony traditions. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they departed too far from built traditions.

Its really irrelevant. Just because Apple is "Designed in California" they are manufactured elsewhere.

I will give you one guess :cool:

25. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I have read the comments to your question. Some are uninformed, others follow Macrumors protocol and are just mean.

I run Windows on a Mac using a virtual machine. I do so because many of the programs I work with from high tech companies in my industry do not make Mac versions of their programs. I too had many of the thin light Sony machines. I cannot speak to how the quality or capabilities will be with the new partners involved with its Purchase. First to your comment about Sony now being Chinese made, almost all computers are manufactured in China right now. Apple is certainly made in China as many of their workers have famously jumped to their death unable to cope with life in the factory. The little rMB may struggle some with VM, just buy and try is all I can say. There is nothing wrong with the idea of liking a form factor (Apple) and using windows. Frankly I have never adjusted to OS X and feel Microsoft is on to something with Windows 10 and the merging of all platforms (Phone Tablet Computer) has merit. (Many a mean comment to follow - I could care less) All hardware and software is subjective. Good luck with what ever you choose.