Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
All four HomePods are dead. Thanks, Apple. Thanks, Craig Federighi. Google doesn’t even need to try. Apple is beating themselves up.
All 9 of my HomePods are dead. This might be the straw that makes me defect to Microsoft. And after ordering the new AirPods this morning I'm just in utter shock at this point that they allow this to happen.

Where do you even begin in discussing a software update bricking $3,000 in speakers and they offer a certified replacement unit because of their foul up? This is a new record low in my opinion and might move to Sonos if this is what they deem as acceptable. Singlehandledly 5 hours ago turned my smart home into a brick.

@TimApple, unbelievable!!!

Maybe next update do one device at a time and see that it works before doing all the others ?

Zance

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
I must be one of the lucky ones. My HomePod updated without issue. Least it fixed the issue when saying ‘hey Siri, stop’ has been fixed. It’s been driving me crazy. I had to say ‘hey Siri, stop the music’. So far so good for me.
Same. I updated both of mine and they work just fine. Definitely hoping I don't have to reset them for any reason, though, cause it looks like that will set off the problem.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
why does anyone need to reset them after the update just use them it works fine

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Have Apple pulled the update from their servers yet. I am wondering for those of us that updated sucessfully are now sitting on time bombs that may brick at some point. Hopefully Apple will release 13.2.1 to fix this soon

Reactions: decypher44

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
All 9 of my HomePods are dead. This might be the straw that makes me defect to Microsoft. And after ordering the new AirPods this morning I'm just in utter shock at this point that they allow this to happen.

Where do you even begin in discussing a software update bricking $3,000 in speakers and they offer a certified replacement unit because of their foul up? This is a new record low in my opinion and might move to Sonos if this is what they deem as acceptable. Singlehandledly 5 hours ago turned my smart home into a brick.

@TimApple, unbelievable!!!

You really don't do you...

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Mine is totally bricked. Can't reset it in any way. I've been using apple since the IIe and this the first time I've ever had a bricking situation. i'm really bummed. On phone with support now. They are getting LOTS of calls. Doesn't look like there is a software solution so the agent is asking her manager to just send me a brand new one.

Gotta admit, that's INCREDIBLE support. But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Maybe next update do one device at a time and see that it works before doing all the others ?

The update went through. But they wouldn't play music and were all on 13.2 stable. I've had issues historically and a reset to factory default is something I've never ever heard of a apple device having had happen.... Until today. That is what causes it. Resetting them.

Additionally, they aren't offering to send me a new one. They are the certified ones. If that's how it ends I'll be getting rid of all my HomePods and migrating away from Apple. This is an early indication possibly of what's going on internally with them and what happens when you lose sight of quality.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Anyone with a bricked one actually tried the hard reset?

How to Reset HomePod Manually
Step #1. First off, unplug the HomePod and then plug it back in.
Step #2. Now, you need to press and hold the top of HomePod.
The white spinning light will turn red. Make sure to keep pressing until you hear three beeps.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Wow, 2019 has already been the worst year for Apple software since I moved into the Apple ecosystem in 2017 since I never had so many small and big software bugs but bricked devices through software are even worse. Really hoping that the quality control at Apple improves.
They did the same in 2018 when a Watch OS5.x update bricked Series 4 watches

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.