Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.


macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release new MacBook Pro models in the fourth quarter of 2022, according to supply chain publication DigiTimes. The report does not mention specific models, but it very likely refers to the next-generation 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros given that the 13-inch model was already updated earlier this year.


There has been uncertainty surrounding the timing of new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and whether they would be equipped with 5nm or 3nm chips, but it is looking increasingly likely that the notebooks will be released later this year with 5nm chips. Apple is expected to hold an October event focused on the Mac and iPad, so it would be fitting for the new MacBook Pro models to be announced then.

In August, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that MacBook Pro models with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips were "well into development and testing" at Apple. The notebooks will have very few new features beyond the faster chips, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, after receiving a major redesign in October 2021.

The latest design of the high-end MacBook Pro includes a flatter-edged chassis, a notch at the top of the display, revived ports like MagSafe and HDMI, and more. MacBooks typically go multiple generations between major hardware changes.

While they might remain 5nm, the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips are expected to be manufactured based on TSMC's newer 5nm process known as "N5P," so the new MacBook Pro models would still have performance and power efficiency improvements. However, a bigger bump in performance would come from the switch to 3nm chips in 2023 or later.

MacBook shipments have "remained relatively stable" compared to Intel-based Windows laptops, according to DigiTimes. The launch of the new MacBook Air with the M2 chip in July combined with the upcoming launch of new MacBook Pro models could result in Apple's notebook market share hitting a nearly five-year high in 2022, the report added.

Article Link: New 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pros Reportedly Launching Later This Year
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: DeepIn2U


macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2021
Norwich, UK
Relieved that there doesn't appear to be anything here that would cause regret for me buying the 16" 1TB M1 Pro - I'm quite sure I'm still not using a 10th of it's processing power and at £2,600 it's definitely not close to an annual or bi-annual upgrade. Wonder how long it'll be before I'm missing out on MacOS functionality because I'm only running an M1 chip though...
Last edited:


macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
Looking forward to seeing how shafted the UK/EU prices are 😔 I jumped on a discounted base 16" MBP at £2,000, I'd hate to see how much the base 16" MBP is going to cost when it's refreshed.
  • Like
Reactions: snipr125 and chomer


Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Very happy with my M1 Pro 16". It handles everything I throw at it so well that it'll likely be quite a while before I upgrade this go around. If you're still using Intel and have no blockers to upgrade, I can't recommend the switch to Apple Silicon enough.


macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
No need to wait for 3 nm if you're on an older Intel machine. M2 Pro/Max will be EXCELLENT in a MacBook Pro.
I think that is good advice if you have a current m1 MacBook pro. Not a huge jump if you have one currently.

So I have an Intel MacBook, personal one and have a company MacBook Pro with M1. I want to upgrade my personal machine as I currently use my work M1 MacBook for personal too as the chip is awesome. I can probs wait another year for the 3 nm chipset, but I have no idea what the 3nm offers?

I'll get the pro, but not a Pro user. Safari, emails etc, but I love all things tech. Maybe I need to research what 3nm is


macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
Personally, 3nm is the one to wait for, not this one.
Agree. I typically buy each new iteration and sell my current device, to always remain current even at a cost (almost like a leasing strategy), but I will be skipping these if they are still M2 &/or A15 based 5nm chips. Not a big enough upgrade to go through the hassle.

Now if they are somehow 3nm next gen cores we have yet to have seen (unlikely), than I will pounce on it - or wait for when that generation lands. Im sure that's likely to be next year tho, at this pace.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.