Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will release updated Mac notebooks with Intel's next-generation Kaby Lake processors later this year, according to the latest research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

2016_macbook_pro_lineup.jpg

Kuo said new 12-inch MacBook models with Kaby Lake processors will enter mass production in the early second quarter, which starts in March, and noted a 16GB of RAM option could be added--presumably as a high-end or built-to-order configuration. The two current 12-inch MacBook configurations include 8GB of RAM.

Likewise, Kuo said new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models with Kaby Lake processors will start mass production in the early third quarter, which starts in July. The research note did not specify how much RAM these models will have, but 16GB could remain the limit due to the restrictions of current memory designs.

Interestingly, Kuo also mentions a "15-inch MacBook" that will include 32GB of RAM and enter mass production in the early fourth quarter, which starts in September. He said this model will be "the most significantly redesigned product this year," and he believes it will adopt desktop-class RAM to satisfy high-end users.

Given the high-end specifications, it is likely that this 15-inch MacBook would be part of the MacBook Pro lineup, but Kuo did not specify. Beyond faster processors and increased memory, Kuo said most other specifications and the design of all of the notebooks will be similar to equivalent models released in 2016.

Kuo believes the new Kaby Lake notebooks will be power efficient, which may positively affect shipments. He estimates that Mac notebook shipments will resume year-over-year growth at about 10% on the strength of the new models, while shipments will be quicker as production delays affecting 2016 models are resolved.

Kuo also expects Apple to discount the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a standard row of function keys this year as that model gradually replaces the 13-inch MacBook Air in Apple's notebook lineup.

While no release dates were mentioned, Kuo previously said he expects new MacBook Pro models with 32GB of RAM to launch in the second half of 2017.

Article Link: New 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Kaby Lake and 32GB of Desktop-Class RAM Coming Later This Year

Last edited:

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
The next generation MacBook will truly be a MacBook Air replacement (other than ports).
If Apple are listening to consumers this time, hopefully we'll get noticeably better graphics. And I wonder if some 13" models will come with 16GB standard.... probably not.

And both the 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro with function keys will be discounted.

In my opinion they need a full MacBook tier rebranding. The 15" is the true 'Pro' machine, and if they can't fit similar internals in the 13" then they should create a 14" Pro. Then have the 12" and 13" sizes for the MacBook, with the larger model having the 15W processor and being slightly thicker.

Last edited:

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I am all for using desktop ram (much more power hungry) even if it means I have to leave it plugged in all the time.

Now this is MY use case. I realize others may not / can't leave their MacBooks plugged in, so perhaps for them, it means a 16gig limit.

reading the story it really feels like the 32gig model will be a "trans" portable. more then pure MacBook Pro portable that we know and love.

If true, I will dub this model the MacBook Pro STFUAboutRamAlready™

guess we will all find out this summer.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Wait...this says that there will be a 32GB MacBook release, not MacBook Pro. That stupid thin, mostly useless thing they released a couple years back? That's not even meant to be a Pro device, why are they sticking 32GB of RAM in one and not a MacBook Pro? Have I misunderstood the article?

Edit: Okay, article suggests it is some form of MacBook. Most likely MacBook Pro.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Hopefully they'll make them a bit more resistant. I've noticed nicks on my Macbook Pro 2016 and it rarely leaves its bag.

MacRumors note: I got it as a free replacement in exchange for my defective 2015 MB 12', so don't judge me for buying it.

I love the computer, but yikes...

Reactions: v3nt and paulh69

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Because new technology never comes out?

Don't be so daft, that's not what's happening here. The MacBook Pro hadn't been updated for over a year before this one came out. To release another version less than a year after everybody has invested in the new machines is ridiculous. Especially as a lot of those people wanted 32GB of RAM but had to settle. The machine is already over priced, can't imagine what they're charging for 32GB of RAM. Considering Apple are the only company on Earth who think RAM sticks are £/$500 each!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If they truly wanted to make it a pro machine they wouldn't have eliminated legacy ports, made it absurdly thin and loaded it with mediocre & decidedly non-pro software to begin with

Replacing a USB 3 port with a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port, capable of 40Gb/s throughput and can be transformed or daisy chained into any other port is somehow… less 'pro'?

By its very definition it's more adaptable, faster, and standardised (which will be vastly beneficial in the future). Apple frequently make leaps like this and aggressively cut legacy stuff. It always annoys users but in hindsight, the decisions are almost always right. I believe time will prove you to be wrong on this occasion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.