Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Don't be so daft, that's not what's happening here. The MacBook Pro hadn't been updated for over a year before this one came out. To release another version less than a year after everybody has invested in the new machines is ridiculous. Especially as a lot of those people wanted 32GB of RAM but had to settle. The machine is already over priced, can't imagine what they're charging for 32GB of RAM. Considering Apple are the only company on Earth who think RAM sticks are £/$500 each!
Price you pay for using MacOS. I choose not to. lol. iOS all the way, Mac OS no thanks.

Aloft085

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I hope there's still an option for a 15" with low-power RAM. I don't want desktop RAM in my Macbook Pro, shortens the battery life. I'd much rather have the extra battery than 32GB of RAM, which I don't need.

As for those bitching about the timing, it's the fourth quarter of next year. That's a long time, get over it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
There still not a single mention about the ports…one of the worst design Apple ever created…
So bad you cannot connect your own iPhone-iPad…

The biggest problem a Pro will encounter :rolleyes:

Get a grip. If the biggest criticism you have of the new ports is that you can't plug in an iOS device to charge it, just maybe it's not the right computer for you. However for other users it's much better than previous gens with what it can do – the controller for your static workstation. In fact you need to use less wires than the previous generations, as everything comes to life just by plugging in one cable, rather than 10.

So it's all a matter of perspective, really. It's either the most limited or most expandable MacBook Pro, depending solely on how restricted your way of thinking is.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Umm...but we had no inclination that this was going to happen. I'd be pretty p**sed if I'd just forked out for a new MacBook Pro, overpaid as it is for just 16GB RAM, then they release an option for 32GB later in the year? Apple's screwing of customers knows no bounds. ;)

Apple releases a new model almost every year. 2016 is over, and they did not release another MacBook Pro "later in the year" as you say.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
So Apple responding to consumer demands is now a bad thing?

It's too little too late. It's the late release that I'm not happy about. If you've just invested in a new MacBook Pro, that you plan to last you years, having already waited years to upgrade because they brought out nothing decent, and you wanted 32GB of RAM but had to settle - you'd be pretty annoyed right now, cause there's nothing you can do about it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There still not a single mention about the ports…one of the worst design Apple ever created…
So bad you cannot connect your own iPhone-iPad…
I hope the add a USB 3 and HDMI…

Best growing apple's product category…. Adaptors/Dongles…

Phil Schiller should be fired…

Article Link: New 15-Inch MacBook Pro With 32GB of Desktop-Class RAM Coming Later This Year
If only there were a native cable available...
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m?fnode=8b

There is no way they are going back and adding USB-A or HDMI ports, especially now that there are native USB-C to HDMI cables.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Umm...but we had no inclination that this was going to happen. I'd be pretty p**sed if I'd just forked out for a new MacBook Pro, overpaid as it is for just 16GB RAM, then they release an option for 32GB later in the year? Apple's screwing of customers knows no bounds. ;)
Since Kaby Lake doesn't have the required support for LPDDR4 ram I highly doubt we will see a 32gb option. I think 2018 or even 2019 depending on what intel puts out. 32gb with Kaby Lake would require a different logic board as well as a redesigned cooling system to account for the extra heat from DDR4 ram chips. Then they would also have to increase the battery significantly to keep the same "10 hours of usage". If they used the same battery then it we be 6 hours of battery and I can't see Apple going backwards. So a 32gb MacBook would be thicker and 1/2 pound heavier.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's too little too late. It's the late release that I'm not happy about. If you've just invested in a new MacBook Pro, that you plan to last you years, having already waited years to upgrade because they brought out nothing decent, and you wanted 32GB of RAM but had to settle - you'd be pretty annoyed right now, cause there's nothing you can do about it.

But 32GB requires using desktop-class RAM, I believe even with Kaby Lake, so the purported model would get worse battery life. Maybe they decided the trade-off wasn't worth it in Skylake but is for Kaby Lake since the latter is more efficient.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.