Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro with the M1 Max Apple Silicon chip will feature a new High Power Mode for intensive, sustained workloads, according to Apple.

m1-max.jpg

MacRumors contributor Steve Moser discovered references to High Power Mode in the macOS Monterey beta, and we've now confirmed with Apple that this feature will indeed be included on the highest-end configurations of the new machine.

This new setting is the opposite of "Low Power Mode," which aims to decrease system performance to prolong battery life. The new mode will only be available on the 16-inch MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip, not the 14-inch model or models with the M1 Pro.

Text within the macOS Monterey beta reads, "Your Mac will optimize performance to better support resource-intensive tasks. This may result in louder fan noise." The new mode is not likely to be used in typical work cases, but instead when users may be rendering larger files or graphically intensive tasks that require an added boost of performance.

The new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros both include improved thermal architecture, but Apple says the new and improved fans are not likely to be used by most users in day-to-day use. Geekbench scores of Apple's newest high-end M1 Max Apple Silicon chip show that it's over 3x times faster than the M1 chip in the MacBook Pro in GPU tasks. In multi-core performance, the M1 Max is up to 2x faster than M1.

Article Link: New 16-Inch MacBook Pro With M1 Max to Feature High Power Mode for Intensive Workloads

Last edited:

tipoo

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
I'm betting Apple defaults to running these cool and quiet, as they tended to before the whole 2016 thinning. Maybe this is like a go ham mode, and we'll see even more impressive figures than we have. With the big cores still at 3.2GHz, it seems they haven't budged past a certain efficiency point compared to M1, but this mode may let it go a bit more wild.

" In multi-core performance, the M1 Max is up to 2x faster than M1."

Ok, why has every news site decided 11,500 is 2x 7600 from the M1? That's closer to 50%. Double would be a score of 15200. It's like the first site said so and the rest never checked the math lol

Last edited:

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
I'm betting Apple defaults to running these cool and quiet, as they tended to before the whole 2016 thinning. Maybe this is like a go ham mode, and we'll see even more impressive figures than we have.
Well, I don't know how hot is beyond 2016 edition but I have the original retina MBP 15" 2,6Ghz and the base temperature using safari is 79ºC
Intensive workloads usually reach 102ºC (105ºC is the maximum I saw)

It is like this since the beginning and I renewed the thermal paste 2 years ago, same result.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
Sounds like PC laptops that prefer battery life unless you override it for performance so Apple's presentation was a little white lie.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That makes sense - the M1 Max 16" is a little heavier than the Pro, while the M1 Max 14" is the same weight as the M1 Pro 14". This probably means the 16" with the Max has a beefier thermal system.

We just have to wait and see what the differences are. I'm still sticking with the 14" unless this is a dramatic, dramatic difference which I doubt it is. 4.7 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs is a huge difference. Somethings have to give - and in this case, it's battery life and maybe a little bit of performance.

jdb8167

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2008
This would explain the relatively poor showing in Geekbench 5 compute test. If the M1 Max is throttled to about the equivalent of a 24 core GPU instead of 32 then the benchmark makes sense.

jdb8167

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2008
So after spending 3,200 grand… I can’t utilize the M1 Max to the fullest potential I upgraded to, because I bought a smaller screen? 🤦‍♂️
It might make sense to wait on the 24 GPU vs 32 Core M1 Max reviews/benchmarks in the 14” MBP before purchase. The extra 8 cores might have minimal performance gains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.