Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
"Pro" written on a product has never meant more than "more expensive and (allegedly) better than the one without 'Pro'". Apple have been a bit confused and inconsistent about what tags like "pro" and "air" (which has wobbled between 'premium ultra-portable' and 'economy') mean - but then most of the competition think that "TZ3956-B/Z" is a sexy product name so...

...and in terms of customers, "pro" only reliably means that you're getting paid, although there's a fixation in this group (...and also at Apple when they're not using 'pro' just to mean 'premium') that you're not a "pro" unless you're rendering 3D video in 8k.

But, looking at the products that are aimed at... people with demanding computer needs... we have:

- the classic Mac Pro - basically left to wither on the vine after ~2010 (and discontinued in Europe shorty after) with no hint of an upgrade
- the Mac Pro "cylinder" - radical design simply not suitable for some users' purposes (acknowledged 5 years later by Apple) and basically abandoned with no alternative available for 6 years
- the MacBook Pro - allowed to become thoroughly out-of-date by 2016, then replaced overnight with a radical re-design with no de-facto-standard ports and a keyboard which was, at best, love-it-or-hate-it, at worst may have serious design flaws that cause regular failures in some environments.
- XServe - cancelled overnight - no alternative. Yes, folks, a desktop computer with a rack mounting bracket may be convenient if you're combining it with rackmount video/audio gear but its not the same as a purpose-designed server. May be justified in that "nobody needs a server running MacOS any more - you can do everything with Linux" - but if you're that nobody, you're stuffed.
- iMac Pro - well, we'll see if it gets at least a GPU upgrade this year...

So, basically, if you are a pro, why would you invest time and money on a platform with such a dismal track record of creating and abandoning "pro" products and forcing drastic workflow changes on users? Remember - being a "pro" can mean considerations like - can you quickly buy a new set of up-to-date, but compatible, kit if your computer is damaged/stolen, or a new person joins the team? What will be the choice in 3 years time when the lease is up/you've finished reclaiming the tax etc.? Who gets to decide when you have a major rethink of your workflow - you or Apple?

Also - Apple simply don't/can't/won't produce a basic workhorse 'pickup truck' computer - whenever they try these days they end up with a gull-winged sports SUV, like the Trashcan (...and, to a certain extent, the new Mac Pro although my main gripe with that is the lousy bang/buck ratio of the entry level model).

Go with HP/Dell etc. and you can be reasonably sure that they won't suddenly drop their basic, workhorse computers in favour of a piece of contemporary metal sculpture... and even if they do there are plenty of other PC makers who will build something to your exact specs.

Professionally I don't, Apple's burnt too many bridges to trust as a provider of professional hardware. Privately still mildly interested at best, and that rests firmly with Apple. Just find it a little sad that they feel the need to annotate their product's in such a manner...

Professional's choose the best hardware for their needs, as for Apple looking forward to Emoji Pro and watchband Pro :p

Q-6

Reactions: venom600

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
(although that would explain how the butterfly keyboard happened...)

Sometimes you just can’t catch the issues before it’s too late. I’m sure that butterfly keyboard was tested extensively prior to the release - but the problems with the design probably only became apparent after dozens of millions of units have been shipped and used.

Queen6

macrumors G4
They might care...I think they had a wake up call a few years ago. But Jury is still out on whether they will make the right moves or not

Time will tell. From my own perspective I've never seen so many drop the platform since the introduction of the 2016 design. To regain that audience Apple will need to do a lot more than just focus on the aesthetics and kick it out door...

Q-6

Reactions: itsamacthing

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Time will tell. From my own perspective I've never seen so many drop the platform since the introduction of the 2016 design. To regain that audience Apple will need to do a lot more than just focus on the aesthetics and kick it out door...

Q-6

Maybe they will remove the keyboard? lol

Reactions: Queen6

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok

Q-6

I couldn't agree more. I have been using a 2017 model without the T2 chip and it's finally become stable and nice to use however an SD card reader all these years would have been nice. Also, the keyboard sucks... oh, and the touch whatever is useless to me. So yea, fingers crossed for something more like a computer and less like a piece of art.

There are some really nice machines from Lenovo and Dell and windows 10 is just as stable. You can build some powerhouse portables with Dell.. blow the socks off anything portable from Apple.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Sometimes you just can’t catch the issues before it’s too late. I’m sure that butterfly keyboard was tested extensively prior to the release - but the problems with the design probably only became apparent after dozens of millions of units have been shipped and used.

Or, more likely, the problems came up and they were so married to the design of the computer that they calculated the risk and found it acceptable as opposed to engineering a new solution.

Reactions: zachlegomaniac

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
So, with Apple being radio silent on any upcoming events, has anyone actually thought that Apple might not hold a late Oct event to re-announce the Mac Pro and rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro?

I am feeling discouraged now that Kuo has come out and said (through his newsletter or whatever) that the 16-inch MBP might not come out until 1H2020...

Basically, what I am trying to say is that should I be less hopeful and think that a late Oct Apple event is less likely because Kuo has come out and said that the 16-inch MacBook Pro might not release until 1H2020?

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
So, with Apple being radio silent on any upcoming events, has anyone actually thought that Apple might not hold a late Oct event to re-announce the Mac Pro and rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro?

I am feeling discouraged now that Kuo has come out and said (through his newsletter or whatever) that the 16-inch MBP might not come out until 1H2020...

Basically, what I am trying to say is that should I be less hopeful and think that a late Oct Apple event is less likely because Kuo has come out and said that the 16-inch MacBook Pro might not release until 1H2020?

I feel ya. I NEED a replacement for my 2013 rMBP for work and have been holding off by utilizing my iPad and Mac Mini (although the laptop was always my daily driver).

The upside is I’ve gotten pretty proficient with the iPad Pro as close to a laptop replacement as I can personally get.

If no viable options roll out this fall I’ll have to go with a 2019 or give a Windows machine a shot. Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise as no one knows what the first iteration will be like and how much it may cost.

I hope we hear something this week or I imagine this may not be happening in the very near future.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

I don't think there will be an October event, think spring for new iPads, 16 inch MacBook Pro. I am not sure what they would announce in October now that its looking delayed.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Listen we still have to get more details on the Mac Pro, like shipping date, pricing, etc. We know the starting price but how much for the wheels? Or how much for the rack mounted version? There's still details to fill in here.

We've had scant info on a new 16-inch MacBook Pro outside of a couple of analysts' rumors. In the past lead up to new MacBooks, we've seen leaked shells or code referencing a new MacBook in a beta version of macOS. But outside of the spec on the new Pro Display XDR providing 96W host power, and the hazy photo of a 96W power adapter, suggesting the 16-inch MacBook Pro is real, there's been nothing.

How about some iMac Pro updates, too, while we're at it?

I'd say we'd need to hear of an Apple special event by Tuesday next week at the very latest. Hopefully by Friday... I'm still thinking there's going to be an Apple special event on the 29th.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Listen we still have to get more details on the Mac Pro, like shipping date, pricing, etc. We know the starting price but how much for the wheels? Or how much for the rack mounted version? There's still details to fill in here.

We've had scant info on a new 16-inch MacBook Pro outside of a couple of analysts' rumors. In the past lead up to new MacBooks, we've seen leaked shells or code referencing a new MacBook in a beta version of macOS. But outside of the spec on the new Pro Display XDR providing 96W host power, and the hazy photo of a 96W power adapter, suggesting the 16-inch MacBook Pro is real, there's been nothing.

I'd say we'd need to hear of an Apple special event by Tuesday next week at the very latest. Hopefully by Friday... I'm still thinking there's going to be an Apple special event on the 29th.

Well yeah... Honestly there's a lot of things yet to understand regarding the Mac Pro.. I'm here waiting for the 16" but honestly I think it will only happen in Spring

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, especially with articles like this. Just embarrassing for Apple...
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3445857/dell-xps-13-2-in-1-vs-mac-pro.html

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
There has to be a balance of form and function. While aesthetics are key, the playing field has caught up Apple. Build quality, with all the press around keyboards, is now been levelled.

I do believe that at some point, Apple will shrink their computing footprint to a refined catalog and pivot to more IOT.

Therefore, a delayed 16" is not surprising... let them burn through the remaining PRO stock... then streamline their offerings while increasing their other footprint (ATV+, Tile competitor, cars, glasses, etc)

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
There has to be a balance of form and function. While aesthetics are key, the playing field has caught up Apple. Build quality, with all the press around keyboards, is now been levelled.

I do believe that at some point, Apple will shrink their computing footprint to a refined catalog and pivot to more IOT.

Therefore, a delayed 16" is not surprising... let them burn through the remaining PRO stock... then streamline their offerings while increasing their other footprint (ATV+, Tile competitor, cars, glasses, etc)

Are you interested in getting a MacBook Pro or the Mac mini is enough for you?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Guess invites would have to come by today according to Macrumors twitter feed, so likely no October event unless we see something today.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Guess invites would have to come by today according to Macrumors twitter feed, so likely no October event unless we see something today.

Ritchie said no event too.. So it seems like one won't be happening.. Spring cleaning it is my friends.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
So no more event this month then, it seems this much is fairly certain now.

Do you guys and gals think the 16" MBP is pushed back then aswell and launches at (what I presume will be) a March event focused around the new iPad Pros and Apple's Tile Competitor, or do you expect it to be announced later this month still in the form of a press event? A few pages ago most people seemed to lean towards an announcement this month, but now I'm seeing more of a shift of opinions towards next year? It seems relatively certain that we'll still see the new "AirPods Pro" being announced this month, so getting new Mac hardware in the same week doesn't seem unimaginable, unless there's new evidence that points to the contrary.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
That's what I'm talking about! Ok so turns out the bezels aren't rounded? Also let's all hope for a new keyboard and better chassis.

Sounds like a stopgap until redesign for me.

If it's the same price as 15" I'll get it, if it ain't I'll wait for redesign

I will get the current 15. I am waiting to see if its price is dropped when the 16 launches.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
That's what I'm talking about! Ok so turns out the bezels aren't rounded? Also let's all hope for a new keyboard and better chassis.

Sounds like a stopgap until redesign for me.

If it's the same price as 15" I'll get it, if it ain't I'll wait for redesign

I think this is the redesign, but wondering now if they just release it with a press release. Hope it isn't delayed until spring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.