New 2011 MacBook Pro hurts my hand!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibook30, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro and I'm loving it! It's zippy and renders video fast enough, I'm almost very happy.

I gotta hold back from "very happy" due to the sharp edges near the trackpad (all around really). When I rest the side of my palm on the edge of the machine to let my fingers dance around the very nice multi touch trackpad, after a few minutes my hand hurts. My palm is pressing on a sharp metal edge. I can appreciate the beauty of the device, and it's very functional, but what can be done about this sharp edge thing?

I wish I had read this article before buying:
    Popular Mechanics
    I probably would have still bought the laptop, but I'd be less surprised. It's a hassle! Any ideas on how to correct this?

I'm currently using a paper towel to pad my palm. There's gotta be a better solution (hopefully one that doesn't require a metal file!) I searched the site for solutions and didn't find anything, if you know of another thread give us links and you'll make my day!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could just not lean your hands against the edges, but that would be way to easy/obvious.

3. DudeMartin macrumors regular

I have a 2011 model and I am not sure where exactly the sharp edges are... I haven't had any issue like that with my 13"

4. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

That's an idea, but I like wresting my hands to steady them. So,,, it's still a problem for those of us with lazy trackpad habits. Which might only be me.

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I've seen this problem popup multiple times. Solutions have varied, but I've owned two MBPs and haven't been blessed with a sharp machine which I am not complaining about.

6. hendrik84 macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean. I don't have the new MBP but I have that problem on my wife's Macbook. When I'm sitting in the sofa browsing for a while I just use something soft like a blanket to cover the edges.

I've never seen any accessories for this issue. Guess there's only a few of us who have this problem?

7. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

You made my day! Thanks!!

I did a couple of searches, but I bow to your superior skills. I'm looking through the search you linked to, and it looks helpful.

I'm also interested to hear that others have similar or the same machine without experiencing the sharp edge. It could be my posture / position when using versus other users, or a difference in the models. I'm guessing it's the position I've been using the machine. I'm often using it on my lap on a recliner (low sperm count is a bonus, I'm not planning on having more kids!)

Thanks again!

8. Ceebee1980, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Sorry, but I think Apple probably studied the design more than Popular Mechanics did. Sure some of it is aesthetic. But to say you're in the 0.1% of people who have a problem with something that wasn't even forced upon you falls on deaf ears.
    I guess you could pad all the corners too so you don't stub your toes?

9. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Do you have it sitting on the near end of a desk or something? I can see how it could feel sharp, but I've never had my hands resting on it in a way that would cause the problem.

10. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

11. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I often use it on my lap while I'm on the couch or a recliner, and I'm betting that is part of the problem. One solution is to get a table or something that I can rest my wrist or palm on, but filing it down or some of the ideas in NikFinn's link are looking good too!

12. Mal, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011

Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OP, I use a Speck case on mine, and while I also didn't have any issues before I put the case on, I can't imagine it not dealing with issue for you. Other solutions include things like the various padded wristrest covers, which don't go to the edge, but might help.

jW

13. TheEddiePShow macrumors newbie

TheEddiePShow

I don't know which macbook pro you have but I purchased the 2011 one and I don't have any sharp edges. The only thing I can recommend is one of the speck cases (or another brand.) but if you already have a case buy wristbands. :)

14. deeesea macrumors 6502

Typing like that isn't really good for you, putting a case on it may alleviate the pain, but resting your wrist on the edge of the laptop is a "no-no". It could cause a pinched median nerve, which could ultimately attribute to any development of CTS.

Though there are a few dickheads above who posted stuff like "change your habits" and etc, I have to agree with them that it's more beneficial in the long term to type with your wrists elevated.

15. Capt Underpants, Apr 5, 2011

Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

As to the OP, take a file to that bastard. You'll be much happier.

16. ibook30, Apr 5, 2011

ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Logged back in to say thanks for these two ideas, I agree. As a result of the discussion, I think I need to look at how I position myself and the MBP. Gotta do my part in the ergonomics area.

With that said, I'm gonna look at using the file! When I feel like being bad, I don't want to feel bad!

17. Mix macrumors member

I would like to see you do that for more than 5 minutes.

18. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Where you go to open the lid, I manage to cut my finger on the corners of that little dip in the laptop.

19. tcador macrumors regular

Same here! This is the only area of the laptop that I have issues with....the rest of the edges like many others have stated can be avoided by not resting your hands or using a table instead of your lap.

20. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Man up! Kidding

The edges can be hard on some people...

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My hand rests on the "sharp edges" of my Uni-body MBP too, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Doesn't hurt or anything.

22. aCondor macrumors 6502

1.) Don't put your wrists there. Or change your hand position while typing.
    2.) Buy the trackpad/PalmPad protector from Moshi. You can cut away a portion of the PalmPad and have it overlap the edge of your MBP.
    3.) Use the "file and forget" method as referenced above.
    4.) Chop off your hand. Type with stump of wrist or use pecking motion with nose. This is not recommended.

I think those are your only options. :)

23. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Lol well if it makes you feel better, or if I came off too dikkish, you can smack the unibody into my face until it gets dull :D
    I just made my mean comment after trying in vain for 5 minutes to duplicate any hand positions that would actually hurt!
    If you wanted my own silly rant, it would be about how the screen/lid on the 2011 MBP has such a strong magnet that it's hard to open sometimes lol

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

My solution. Works. Comfy. Protects against corrosion. It's a sunglass pouch. You could use anything -something thicker if need be.

I suspect that the heavier your arm/hand combined with precise placement - the more of a problem. But ergos are critical - use it the way you desire. Just use a pad. Or wear a fingerless bike glove. : )

Attached Files: