new 2011 mini problem with 1080p

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mrklaw, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Just got a new mini and was looking forward to finally using 1080p - was previously using 720p with my old mini.

However, my setup runs HDMI through my amp (Yamaha 767). Handles my PS3 and bluray player just fine, but seems to choke on my mini at 1080p giving me a black screen.

If I connect direct to my TV it displays ok, but then I lose my multichannel audio. I could connect up via optical (new mini has one in the headphone socket, right?) but I'd prefer to keep it all switching through the amp if possible

is there a tweak to let me do this? How do I set up my resolution to be optimal? I'm confused why it wouldn't work as the PS3 outputs 1080p/60 and that is ok.

2. toss002 macrumors regular

This might work...

Look in the back of your TV, make sure you connect your HDMI cable into "HDMI1 (DVI)" or something similar. If your PS3 is hooked up there, switch them. Use your PS3 on "HDMI2."

Once on "HDMI1 (DVI)," go to your TV setting and select (or edit name) "PC." If you don't have this setting, consult your TV manual for something similar.

If you select "PC (DIV)," you won't hear the sound for your TV, only through your computer.

Good luck.

3. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

If I connect to *any* of my TV inputs its all fine. The issue is I'm trying to connect via my amplifier. The receiver should support 1080p/60, and the PS3 works through it in 1080p, so I don't know why the mini is causing issues.

4. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Probably something to do with the sync or HDCP the mini is putting out, and it is tripping up your receiver.

5. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

its HDMI so should be standard?

Would it make any difference using mini displayport->HDMI? I don't have an adapter but willing to try if its more likely to work. and will that carry 5.1 audio?

6. jwhazel macrumors regular

What happens if you try it initially set to 720p? This is not a shot at yamaha, they make good amps, but I've seen a fair share of black screen/handshaking issues with them over on avsforum. Sometimes people will have some equipment that works fine and others that don't (i.e. bluray player works, directv receiver won't, etc...)

Does the 767 by chance have some sort of upscaling? Can you defeat this and just set it to passthrough?

7. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

720p is fine. Amp is set to no upscaling, just pass through.

It never had any issues with my 2007 mac mini running 720p via DVI-HDMI. No issues running my skyHD box through at 1080i, nor my PS3 at a variety of resolutions including 1080p/60. No issues with 3D either. Its been surprisingly rock solid which makes me think its the mini doing something odd.

8. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

The transmission protocol of HDMI is standardized, but there are "handshakes" that have to occur between the mini, receiver and display. If one of those three is getting something different back via handshake than it expects, there will be trouble.

Your best solution might be to run HDMI straight to the TV, and optical for audio.

9. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, thats what I'm thinking. Will I get audio to the TV over HDMI for those times my amp isn't on? i.e will the mac output audio over optical and HDMI? Bit of a pain switching the amp for most things but the TV for mac. Might first try mini display port->HDMI ->amp see if thats any more robust. Think it does less handshaking, just sends stuff out? Or mini display port->dvi->HDMI

and the timing thing is odd - switchresX seems to see the TV EDID just fine 'through' the amp.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Reading this thread makes me a little concerned. At the moment I have a 2009 Mini connected to my Onkyo amp using a DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable and it works fine at 1080p. I waiting for the new 2011 model to be delivered and plan on connecting it to my amp directly with the HDMI cable. My PS3, Xbox 360 both output 1080p and my Sky HD box outputs 1080i through the amp.

11. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

you should also be concerned about the apparently poor GPU acceleration on these if you're thinking of using plex. I just have my fingers crossed that'll improve and will use software decoding for the moment.

anyhow, I'll have a play with display port-HDMI, see if not using HDMI handshakes will help, and I'll report back. I'll keep direct to TV as a fallback of last resort.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

Are you referring to the low end model or the one with the discrete Radeon GPU.

Having said that I don't use Plex that much anyway so it may be a non-issue for me.

13. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

both.

Still, more than enough CPU to do it software only for now, no big deal - but I did want it to transcode using the CPU to iPad, while allowing local playback

14. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Yes, audio can be sent over HDMI to play through your TV speakers.

15. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

No joy with a mini display port-> HDMI adapter :(

And I can't see where I can set the audio to come out of optical and HDMI at the same time. If I opt to connect via HDMI direct to my TV, i'll need audio over HDMI when watching just on TV, and audio over optical for when I switch my amp on.

If I can't do that then i'm stuck. I either get 1080p but audio to only one piece of equipment, or audio to both (by routing through my amp) but then limited to 720p.. :mad:

16. jwhazel macrumors regular

I kind of suspected that would happen. I really think it's your receiver man. Connected directly to TV it works fine. Lots of receivers out there have strange handshaking issues with some equipment.

17. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

still think its the mini.

switchresX is seeing the Sony Bravia EDID 'through' the amp, but perhaps the mini itself is sending something odd that it doesn't like. Although it works direct to the TV, the amp also works fine with all my other 1080p sources including 1080p/60 from the PS3..

18. jwhazel macrumors regular

If it was the mini then why does 1080p work when connecting directly to your tv. Unless I'm not understanding something properly...

Connected directly to the tv: all 1080 sources work
    Connected through the amp: all 1080 sources but the mini work

Seems like the mini is putting out a perfectly standard 1080 feed, something in the amp doesn't like it.

19. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

This.

20. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Agree

21. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but doesn't that work both ways?

if it was the amp, why does it work with every other device I have sending 1080p through it? Granted most are either 1080i (TV) or 1080p/24 (bluray), but the PS3 sends 1080p/60 and that is fine.

I think its clear that the mini and the amp don't get along, but I don't think there is enough evidence to lay the blame solely on the amp.

22. firedownunder macrumors regular

No, it doesn't. You're splitting hairs. There's a handshake issue with the amp and the mini.

23. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 68000

sorry? I know I'm saying there is a handshake issue with the amp and the mini. *you* were saying it was the amp. I don't think thats splitting hairs?

Although reading back you don't really 'lay the blame solely on the amp' as I put it, you say 'seems to be' which perhaps I read too much into.

24. jwhazel, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

jwhazel macrumors regular

I think what he means is that the culprit is ultimately the sum of two components, the mini and the avr. But you can't simply absolve the amp from wrong doing

Over on AVSforum theres a 100+ page thread on the 667/767 series. Searching for handshake/blank screen issues comes up with many posts

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=20315929&postcount=1892
    I have my PC plugged into the amp and it gives picture at start up but not at windows.
    I have tested and it will pass through video at 24hz, but not at 60.
    I was using these cords previously going direct to the TV and 60hz worked fine.
    So do I need to change a setting in the amp or is it a hardware limitation?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19186004&postcount=156
    Ok, so today I hooked up my pc to the hdmi slot on the back of the 667 and it seemed to work great until I tried to play a game. When I loaded a game the screen went blank, the sound conitinued to work but the screen went blank.
    I attempted to change the resolutions but the same thing would still happen.
    Switched the hdmi to my tv (c8000) and it worked fine. But then I dont get good sound

Just 2 posts that I've found to show wonkiness with certain components. In this case just happens to be two different people having trouble connecting computers. And it's pretty clear that the AVR is whats causing problems because connected directly to the TV they state that it works fine, same as your case. Then you have this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=20734354&postcount=2
    Help me test it. I connect the new Mac Mini to my Onkyo Pro pre-amp, set Midi to 8 channel/24 bit, play HDMI output through VLC, the Onkyo shows "Multich" and I hear great sound. I'm not sure if this is lossless sound or not.
    Frankly, when I do the same setup on my 2010 HDMI mini, it sounds the same.
    Both machines are running Lion. Did Apple fix bit streaming output in Lion?

He's running an Onkyo PR-SC885P. It's not explicitly stated but I have to assume by his post that since he's using VLC and a multichannel source that he's outputting video and this means he's able to run 2011 mini > onkyo receiver > tv just fine. So mini isn't putting out some alien 1080p signal that no AVR is able to decode. It sounds like it just some sort of quirk with your 767. I'm laying the blame solely on your AVR. Sorry.

Edit: so what happens if you plug your old mini into and run 1080p? You didn't specify what model your old mini was, but I'm fairly certain all models even back to the G4's will output 1080p.

25. Tulpa macrumors regular

It can only output over one or the other at any given time -- but it's easy to switch between the two outputs in the Sound system preference panel.