Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Seems like an intermediary step. 8k is already hitting the market and will become standard in a year or two. Why not just get a 4k monitor for now? Are the extra pixels in a 5k really worth it?

Of course not. You'd have to be closer than 2 inches from the screen before you could see the difference. I can't focus that close.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
All I've been wanting for coming on four years is a small upgrade to the existing thunderbolt monitor so that it has the same resolution as my 15" rMBP, has USB 3.0 and more thunderbolt ports. Then I'd buy two of them.

Or if it matched the 27" imac, that would be fine too. I could buy one of each. But, the dual screen options Apple offers are so outdated, I've been sticking with my Dells waiting to pull the trigger on the refresh.

Get on this already Apple.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
The current MBP can't even properly drive a 4K Panel at 60Hz, if you have nowhere to connect it to I don't really see the necessity right now. Right now there isn't even a proper connection for 4K Displays, only that MST nonsense. However it is a great glimpse into future tech and I'm looking forward to it. :)

dhgkdyk

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Seems like an intermediary step. 8k is already hitting the market and will become standard in a year or two. Why not just get a 4k monitor for now? Are the extra pixels in a 5k really worth it?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Yep.

After having to replace the logic board AND graphics card for my 2011 27" 2 years in ($1,000), I'm done with the iMac.

Too much heat in tight quarters.

So once mine dies (again), I'm somewhat stuck; Mac mini (underpowered) or Mac Pro (overpowered/overpriced for me).

Damn it, Apple. Build an xMac already! I reeeally don't want to Hackingtosh!!

Then again, I can always look for an old Mac Pro, but then Apple wouldn't get my money. ;)

2011 iMac - there's your problem right there. The 2011 models ran hot. The slim 2012+ redesign cured all those problems. It's not a space heater any more, despite the power packed into an even slimmer package.

patrick001

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Boston
The current MBP can't even properly drive a 4K Panel at 60Hz, if you have nowhere to connect it to I don't really see the necessity right now. Right now there isn't even a proper connection for 4K Displays, only that MST nonsense. However it is a great glimpse into future tech and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Yes, it can.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Well, the next step is a macbook pro with 4k display. Let's hope apple doesn't disappoint here.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Nice, Apple really need to get their act together and launch a ultra high res Thunderbolt display. Would be better than printing money for them.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
I've been holding out on a second monitor for over a year, hoping Apple will announce a new 27" display in October. I might puke blood if it doesn't happen.

----------

For a few hundred more, you could get a Mac Pro. Who in their right mind is going to pay this for a freaking monitor?

Yes for a few FIVE HUNDRED more you can get a Mac Pro... With no monitor?

----------

If you are doing 4K video development this is an ideal monitor. As for 8K don't be too certain that it will arrive that quickly.

Most people are watching YouTube videos at the lowest resolution.

----------

Word is out that Apple has created a new non-reflective glass without a matt finish. We'll see.

If anyone could invent glass that doesn't look like glass, it'd be apple.

DerekAndonian

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
Mst

As a longtime fan of Mystery Science Theater, I think it's really cool that there's a monitor technology called "MST". ;)

I wonder if there was a 3k version of this. MST in a 3K would be epic. :D

But, anyway, this monitor looks amazing. It would be great for high-rez photoshop work- I could just leave everything at 100%. :eek:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If anyone could invent glass that doesn't look like glass, it'd be apple.

Philips had a moth eye screen (moth eyes don't reflect light to avoid predators, the screen surface replicated that effect) on one of their top end TV's a couple of years ago, and there have been several other similar technologies.

I hope Apple does adopt a non-reflective screen (not the same as matte at all), but they won't have invented it.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Philips had a moth eye screen (moth eyes don't reflect light to avoid predators, the screen surface replicated that effect) on one of their top end TV's a couple of years ago, and there have been several other similar technologies.

I hope Apple does adopt a non-reflective screen (not the same as matte at all), but they won't have invented it.

Dude Apple invents everything, get out of here with that nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.